What's new

Tourer rear brakes - hmmm burning :(

davecmr

Members
Reaction score
Car
Tourer Sport Diesel
I'm having problems with the nsr brake on the tourer, originally started with excessive heat and squeeking (it had worn 1 pad to metal) so when I replaced the rear discs and pads I cleaned everything up and its all been fine for the last few months.

Then tonight I could smell that horrid smell again and sure enough red hot rear disc :(

So the plan of attack tomorrow is to strip down the brake and check the caliper, see if it slides ok and that the piston will push back in and then check to see if the pads are siezed in the holder.

Is there a way to tell if the brake hose is at fault?

I've read through the posts on here I'm just hoping its something simple however it may be getting due a caliper if its playing up again only a few months after being in bits :(

Any advice would be greatly appreciated before the 8am saturday morning spanner throwing starts lol

I think the rear brake hoses are at fault here

and just so you know the tourer has brake shoes to for the hand brake at the rear

I just replaced mine

Your approach sounds spot on, check the basics first before getting more complicated.
Look closely ay the caliper seals as its actually these which very slightly retract the pads away from the disc, they may be getting weak.

Re hoses, I would be tempted to retract the caliper piston and ***ess is the hydraulic fluid is returning to the master cylinder easily, thereafter is you are unsure I think that hose replacement would be the best way forward as this is simple to do and not expensive

Thanks guys, I knew it had shoes as i've only recently changed the discs and pads.We'll see what happens in the morning.

Good luck mate, sound advice already from the guys there.

Update:

Its the caliper thats knackered, piston is partly siezed and wont slide back in fully.

To test for the brake pipe fault I undid the bleed nipple and still couldn't push the piston fully back, then I took the brake pipe completely off and still couldn't push it back.

So I used some gentle persuasion or should that be a big hammer and some sockets and beat the thing in and out till it was freed off a bit but still unable to easily push it back in.

Ended up with the piston completely out to find lots of yuk on it and then pitting at about the point where it starts to stick, so cleaned it up the best I could and put it all back together.

So the options are:

1. New/Reconditioned Caliper
2. New Piston & Seal Kit

the only other thing I've noticed is that there is a groove worn in the silver bit that pushes the pads down its in the top of the caliper.

David have a word with Paul Hot Fuzz he had the same problem.

New caliper went on yesterday morning all good now, mot this saturday.

Same problem on mine, replacing the hoses with SS braided from Brakes4u, and going for an exchange caliper.

Hope not to have a repeat :rolleyes:

That should cure it, piston on mine was corroded and wouldn't go back in fully, even when it was on a bench with the hammer it took some serious whacks to get it freed off enough to get a weeks use out of it till recon caliper arrived.

I had this problem at first on NS then OS, literally would have the disc glowing red/orange. could always reach through the pentas and pull the caliper loose once the brakes had cooled. Calipers were fine slides fine. After replacing pads and discs It still occurred. Finally tracked it down to the small stainless spring/shims the pads sit on top and bottom. apparently they do have a service life, could not believe it but like I say not had a problem since.
They aren't cheap either anyhow no more problems.

good tip there Frank... cheers.

I seem to have a mystery circle about 1/2" thick going round the centre of one of my rear discs... Garage refurbed the callipers before its recent MOT, so hopefully if it was a problem, it is solved now.

I think one of the main reasons we get gummed up or rusty pistons is due to water contamination in the fluid, this is a very good reason to change the fluid every couple of years or so. Have messed about with brakes for a long time and when you clean a caliper out and all you get is rusty gunk coming out it makes you realize how important this can be. Just my two pence worth :D