What's new

Trouble lifting driver's door window up when fully down!

Pete1958

Members
Reaction score
Car
2004 2.4 EX 7th Gen.
Hi all, When I put the driver's window right down and then lift the switch up the window comes out of the door about a 1/4 of an inch and goes straight back down again although after pulling up on the switch for some time whilst moving the switch about it did finally go up. This only happens if the window is put fully down!

Anyone had this problem and found the cause?

Many thanks,
Pete :).

PS. This is on a CL9 BTW.

Sorry should have placed in faults section lol.

Thread moved ;) . My passenger side front window does this sometimes. I think it's just crud in the gap. Get in there with some cotton wool buds, perhaps some cleaning fluid of some sort that won't hurt the rubber. Get the recess all nice and clean. See how it is then.

Thanks for moving my thread Steve and for the advise, will give it a go :) .

Would be curious to find out how you get on with this Pete, I have the same issue on mine. Honda fixed it ~ 5 years ago on my car but it's started doing it again recently.

Lads, you need to lubricate the guide rails of the window.

Basically, the window is sticking and the window regulator is pulling the window back down as it "sees" an obstacle in the way (think fingers). Pretty common on Hondas. Personally I use Shin Etsu grease http://www.amazon.com/Honda-Genuine-Shin-Etsu-Grease/dp/B006Z9TZ9M but you can use any grease suitable for rubber.

Thanks for that Jason, sounds like a very good product from the write ups :) .

My drivers window does this. If I try to raise it using the auto function, it drops back but if I raise it past a certain point before flicking into auto it goes all the way. Never really bothered me but might look into this lubricant.

Miah said:
Would be curious to find out how you get on with this Pete, I have the same issue on mine. Honda fixed it ~ 5 years ago on my car but it's started doing it again recently.
Hi Miah, I did what was suggested, cleaned the rubbers and runners and it seems fine now B) .

Hope yours is as simple :) .

Hello.

First of all. ( I'm from the Netherlands so please don't judge me on some grammer foults :unsure: :) )
I also have the same problem on mij driver side. Usually accurs when it has been raining. I do also won't let it fall complete
in the door. I thought it could be the relais that was failing to get it back up again.
Changing the rubbers may be a good solution I think...grease and all of that other stuff is imo a temporarely solution.

Permanent fix is to remove doorcards and use grease I used copper grease and laid it on nice and thick on all moving parts of the window regulator and also some in the window rubber guide rails too.

Windows now seem smoother and quicker moving up and down :)

A spray of silicone based grease spray should fix this. Had this on my ej6 where the window starting to get slow. A little bit of silicone spray in the rubber guide fixes the whole problem

I bought mine from halfords, this is the stuff and i have used this on all my cars.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/lubricating-penetrating-oil/3-in-one-professional-silicone-spray-lubricant-400ml

I actually do this every time I give the car a service. Best thing about this is that it doesn't leave a mess.

Same problem on mine. Did it first when i was on my way home after buying the car. Wound the window down on the Severn Bridge, to pay the toll. Wouldn't go up again and it was raining. Great stuff. Went up a few minutes later. Wasn't sure why. Have since discovered that it just does that; when the window is fully down, it won't go up if you press 'Auto up', but will go if you do it manually, ie. don't push the switch all the way. I thought it was a foible with the switch. Do people really think it's gunk at the bottom of the rails/rubbers that's affecting all of us, or an electronic problem with the switch/relay? It certainly doesn't seem to be 'sticking' at all, but I could be wrong. Seems odd that it would do it on 100% open but not at 95% open.

Tip I saw somewhere, for sticky window rubbers: open window, run candle around, all inside the rubbers. Bit "home cure", like the pencil graphite on squeaky windscreen wipers.

Dave when mine first did this I noticed that if you put your finger on the top of the glass and then use the switch it will lift up(although difficult if driving lol) :).

Now that's *really* weird. I'll try that next time. Must just be an electronic foible. Now I know about it, it doesn't bother me; but crossing the Severn Bridge in the rain...... boy, I was REALLY expanding my vocabulary at the expense of Mr Honda. I don't know about ears burning, I think his head must have been on fire.

My drivers window is doing this when on the Auto function but if I just use the manual function on it there's no problem. I must try the silicone on the rubber to see if that works, really don't want to take the door card off for a fix.

Odd. Pete1958's trick of pressing down on the glass does work. Like you say, not easy when you're driving though! One of those things that you just get used to, once you realise how to avoid it.

I've the same issue. I think it's caused by crud and non-smooth window channels. If you do the second click/auto-up switch the crud poses too much resistance and stops the window going up. A little precision work with the switch on the manual up (first click) normally gets it up without having to resort to physically intervening with the glass itself.

On my passenger side however, I've a different problem. The window goes up super slow due to resistance. This resistance is actually caused by the window mis-aligning itself at the start of the upward motion and pressing too hard to against the rubber of the window runner. Once about half way up, it's ok and speeds up. I've yet to figure out a solution. I imagine it's an interior door panel off, inspect, loosen bolts, realign some stuff and tighten it all up again job, but I don't fancy doing that any time soon. Me and interior trim don't always get along very well and things tend to not quite go back in the same way :unsure:

Yes this happens on mine some times too when all the way down, same as what others have said, raise it with manual a few centimetres and its fine all the way. I didn't even realise they had "anti trap" untill this started happening.