What's new

Tyre questions

mightyspur

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Tourer
Finally getting around to putting my new wheels on but have a few questions...

I have a 2005 Honda Accord Estate Tourer

1. Tyre size. I have 17" pentas - is the correct size tyre 225/45/17?

2. Someone has mentioned a decent tyre is the GOODYEAR EAGLE Asymmetric 2. I noticed the ratings for this tyre was rated well for fuel efficiency "B", well for braking in wet weather "B" and 68dB for noise, which all seems pretty good, but is there anything else out there that rates even better?

1. yep! 225/45/17 is right for 17" wheels on the 7th gen and the Pentas are 17".

2. I run Falken ZE914 XLs with no complaints on noise and they're good grippy tyres.

Iv just bought Michelin pilot sport 3 yet to fit them, will most like be next week, the fuel rating is not that good but the grip is rated A, I was told that Dunlop sport have a good rating with grip and fuel, but because I don't do much miles per year I just went for the best grip ones, I have heard that the Goodyear AS cause a lot of tramlining?

Dunlop Sport Response on my 16 inch wheels, pretty decent and would be happy to use them again but will be trying out my favourite Continentals when the fronts wear out.

I have recenetly installed a set dunlop blue responses on my 17s epslion wheels.
A cracking quiet tyre and very grippy too.

I bought them primairly for the quietness. One of the leading tyres with the lowest dB noise rating.
SMooth too - have seen an increase on the MPG too. definatley feel the low rolling resistance too.

Worth considering :)

Theres some good discussion here too and a member posting up some literature on reviews
http://hondakarma.com/threads/has-anyone-tried-michelin-energy-saver.18070/live?page=1#post-138754

accord_n22 said:
I have recenetly installed a set dunlop blue responses on my 17s epslion wheels.
A cracking quiet tyre and very grippy too.

I bought them primairly for the quietness. One of the leading tyres with the lowest dB noise rating.
SMooth too - have seen an increase on the MPG too. definatley feel the low rolling resistance too.

Worth considering :)

Theres some good discussion here too and a member posting up some literature on reviews
http://hondakarma.com/threads/has-anyone-tried-michelin-energy-saver.18070/live?page=1#post-138754
Cheers. Had a look and they rate better than the Goodyear AS2 on wet weather braking, and the same on fuel. They're actually 1 Db louder though! Slightly more expensive as well... 15 quid a corner means 60 extra for better wet weather braking.

I've got a set of the Goodyear AS2's on my car. Take note there are several variations so make sure you order the type you want. Mine are rated 69dB but A wet weather and C fuel economy. If you look at all AS2's on mytyres.co.uk they're also the cheapest variation in 225/45/17.

Re noise, be aware that noise measurements on tyre labels are for drive-by exterior noise and not noise heard within the car.

thinboy said:
Re noise, be aware that noise measurements on tyre labels are for drive-by exterior noise and not noise heard within the car.
LOL

I think I've tried just about every brand and model there is on my 2.4 cl7. The only one that really stood out by a long way and removed most of the understeer, and improved the way that the ABS and traction control behaved were Michelin Pilot Sport 3. They just totally changed the way the car handled through sharp corners and especially in the wet. The soft compound meant that they didn't last long though so now I'm running Michelin Primacy 3 which are all A ratings! Great so far.

I've got Goodyeary Eagle F1 Asymetric 2 on CTR alloys 17'' and they are really good, can definitely recommend especially on wet road :)

Hi Guys

RE:Noise Reading on tyres

I always thought that was the sound I would hear in the car.

The other day I spent ages trying to get a quieter tyre on my pentas.

Thanks for pointing that out. :)

Forget to mention
I found oponeo.co.uk to have some decent prices on tyres.

Moderators: I'm sorry in advance if we cannot post weblinks to online shops, if this is the case, please remove it

still learning the forum

I have just put on a set of yokohama bluearth ae 50 only had them on a day but done 300 miles on them and they feel responsive and grippy in the dry. Compared to the pilot sports 3 the noise is no different. But happy so far. And for £70.20 per tyre from blackcircle fitted it's well worth the money I think

I'm seriously considering putting a set a of Michelin Climate Controls on my new to me 2003 2.4 Tourer. Don't have the space or real need for dedicated summer and winter tyres and the Climate Control are getting good reviews. Anyone with any first hand experience of them or other all seasons on an Accord?

Another heads up for falken tyres i have replace both front and much quiter, smoother pull off and better grip in wet.