What's new

ULEZ - Ultra Low Emission Zone

Thanks for the link. Just checked mine and it's not subjected to the charge which is strange as it's older than yours ( 7th Gen )

I wonder if the mayor of london would keep imposing charges if every town adopted the attitude " You're charging us to go in your town so we are going to charge you if you come in our town " ?

Is yours a 7th gen diesel Ned? Just checked with reg of our old 7th gen diesel which we had before and that is subject to the charge. My current 8th gen diesel is also chargeable

Just checked mine, it's an 8th auto tourer, and will be charged if I go into the zone, cannot see how a 7th gen can get exempted. Unless you have removed the engine. Re the 406 up to but not inside, crazy or what??? and some people still want to go Labour, got to be mad.

Like you saj just checked my old 7th tourer diesel and that too is in the frame.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/ulez-where-and-when?intcmp=54312

edgeoftime said:
Just checked mine, it's an 8th auto tourer, and will be charged if I go into the zone, cannot see how a 7th gen can get exempted. Unless you have removed the engine.

Like you saj just checked my old 7th tourer diesel and that too is in the frame.

My one is petrol powered B) So it would seem petrol motors are exempt, diesel motors aren't.

Ned said:
Just checked mine, it's an 8th auto tourer, and will be charged if I go into the zone, cannot see how a 7th gen can get exempted. Unless you have removed the engine.

My one is petrol powered B) So it would seem petrol motors are exempt, diesel motors aren't.

It should have been made clear then?? you are as bad as them??

Like saying my diesel is not affected, I go to work on a pedal cycle!!!

edgeoftime said:
It should have been made clear then?? you are as bad as them??

It's clearly obvious saj saw a possible reason why my car could be exempt when he asked if it was a diesel.

You didn't make it clear yours was diesel when you said - "Just checked mine, it's an 8th auto tourer, and will be charged if I go into the zone" !
​What you have made quite clear is you can't handle getting the response your sarcastic comments deserve.

To sum up the above comments, it would appear diesel accords are charged, petrols are exempt. I just checked my petrol, it's exempt.

It's not overly clear, but from looking at the website, my interpretation is that I don't think it includes the 406.

Let's keep it on topic, yeah .

Ned said:
It's clearly obvious saj saw a possible reason why my car could be exempt when he asked if it was a diesel.

You didn't make it clear yours was diesel when you said - "Just checked mine, it's an 8th auto tourer, and will be charged if I go into the zone" !
​What you have made quite clear is you can't handle getting the response your sarcastic comments deserve.
Take a look at my avatar, cannot make it any clearer?? fill yours in then we all will know.

Avatars aren't always clear on mobiles, especially if you're viewing in browser as apposed to the tapa talk app. So perhaps there in lies the misunderstanding.

Let's move on to more positive on-topic discussion.

It is an outrage that they have done this.
I heard one of the reasons for this charge was because of the additional Heathrow runway and reducing the poluttion due to this.

Any petrol car which is 2001 or newer and euro 4 compliant will not be subject to the ULEZ charge.

A diesel need to be at least 3 year old or newer and euro 6 compliant.

My brothers 2002 Honda Jazz is compliant aswell as a Honda s2000.

Most 2001+Honda petrol's are euro 4 compliant, which goes to show how advanced Honda was back in the day with their clean emissions.

Lucky I dont commute within the north/south circ so my 7th gen diesel should have alittle more life left in it.

As far as i am aware, you wont be charged actually using the A406 itself (north/south Circ), if you venture inside it then you will.

I believe this type of charge will be spread across the country very soon after 2021. London will be the first to adopt this type of charge.

Looking at the TFL site the A406, and I ***ume A205 perimeter will only come into force in 2021, for this year the existing Congestion charge (which is somewhat smaller to the west courtesy of Boris) is where no Accord 7s or 8 diesels can roam without paying, in general Westminster and the city of London

Again on the blurb the vehicle types that are exempt include a reference to motorcycles, having put a couple of reg plates into the mix, the results are certainly not what the DVLA has on their records, with one that is on the road seemingly not traceable by Mr Khans staff.

I might put one of the old two stroke engines into a modern chassis, see how he likes the smell of Castrol R in the morning.

accord_n22 said:
I heard one of the reasons for this charge was because of the additional Heathrow runway and reducing the poluttion due to this.

Any petrol car which is 2001 or newer and euro 4 compliant will not be subject to the ULEZ charge.

A diesel need to be at least 3 year old or newer and euro 6 compliant.

My brothers 2002 Honda Jazz is compliant aswell as a Honda s2000.

Most 2001+Honda petrol's are euro 4 compliant, which goes to show how advanced Honda was back in the day with their clean emissions.

Lucky I dont commute within the north/south circ so my 7th gen diesel should have alittle more life left in it.

As far as i am aware, you wont be charged actually using the A406 itself (north/south Circ), if you venture inside it then you will.

I believe this type of charge will be spread across the country very soon after 2021. London will be the first to adopt this type of charge.
I have a diesel but the evidence is clear, diesel particulates are extremely hazardous.

I'm actually more bothered about the apparent unfairness of the scheme as the 20,000 or so black cabs have a pass/extended permission to use very old vehicles in the ULEZ whereas your average joe or business that may have invested in a Euro 5 compliant vehicle or fleet that's only a few years old has to get rid as well as taking a massive hit.

I cant avoid the ulez when they roll it out to the south circular. I thought it was October 2020
I have bought a type s 7th gen 2.4 instead of an identical 7th gen 2.2 diesel.
Cant see how thos moves the environmental issues forward.
Once I have reflashed it I will.have a much less economical car.
Allegedly London's air quality is better than it has ever been, not the impression I am given by the message

accord_n22 said:
Heathrow is quite a few miles outside the current and proposed ULEZ zones, but I'd like to see the direct link between money from the motorist and an improvement in air quality by putting a politician in between the two.

Mayor Khan has recently confirmed he is now using personal security after - claiming to receive- threats to his wellbeing, the money for this has come from somewhere.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/11/sadiq-khan-has-24-hour-police-protection-after-repeated-threats

Channel Hopper said:
Confirmation within the article of the profitability of the charge
TfL making £220,000 a day from London’s new Ulez

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/heathrow-plans-its-own-ulez-for-drivers-doing-dropoff-at-up-to-15-a-day-a4150576.html
Wrong link, but equally shocking.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/tfl-making-220000-a-day-from-london-s-new-ulez-a4143831.html

"Mr Khan has vowed to extend the Ulez zone to the boundary of the North and South Circular roads in October 2021 if he is re-elected in May next year.

His Tory rival Shaun Bailey would retain the central London zone but scrap the extension."

Channel Hopper said:
You didn't really believe the ULEZ charge is being deployed to clear up London's air did you ?

Channel Hopper said:
Confirmation within the article of the profitability of the charge

TfL making £220,000 a day from London’s new Ulez

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/heathrow-plans-its-own-ulez-for-drivers-doing-dropoff-at-up-to-15-a-day-a4150576.html
Ahh, so you think it's a swivel-eyed ruse to simply extract more lucre from the poor old motorist.

https://www.standard.co.uk/futurelondon/cleanair/air-pollution-toxic-air-pollution-crisis-a4077936.html

Get in your car and drive !

Seriously though, this is far too late in the day, the maelstrom is about a week away.

I love my diesel but I don't have any problem with getting them out of city centres, if that means pricing them off the roads then so be it.

The issue is not with the engine, but the fuel at the pumps.

Whilst it is not possible to run the Accord on vegetable oil (at least not neat), those cars with mechanical pumps and the ability to use alternatives in any ratio are being unfairly grouped by the authorities.

Whilst it is not possible to run the Accord on vegetable oil (at least not neat), those cars with mechanical pumps and the ability to use alternatives in any ratio are being unfairly grouped by the authorities.

I hope you noticed from that study how poor the combustion results were when veg oil was added in any concentration to mineral diesel.

In the end you're referring to a tiny minority of aged diesel vehicles that maybe able to use vegetable oil as fuel to save a buck. Chances are those attempting to do it do not use any form of preheat system to reduce oil viscosity thereby creating even more pollution than using standard diesel, there isn't much of a case for it that I can see.

When the incentives were arouns in 2008/9 to buy new diesel cars there were plenty of veggy burners out there. It might have been a ploy by Mr Brown to reduce the numbers of excise evading citizens, but the overall result was an increase of common rail / high pressure systems out there that could no longer work with anything apart from diesel.

There were two fuelling systems on the same Citroens I owned, Bosch and Lucas, which the manufaturer bought in random numbers to complete production so it was a gamble when experimenting with chip oil as the latter wouldn't work for long without falling apart.

Preheat is really only required in around three months of the year in this country and on SVO, most of the regular users of vegetable oils vary the ratio in the tank depending on the weather forecasts, keeping a low amount in the tank to ensure they can adapt quickly (and keep the overall mass down to improve economy). I would often add a pint of petrol in the tank to keep things from sticking in the pipes near the end of Autumn. The XU9 engines happily ran on and on, though I would have to change the filter every year or so.

I find it odd that in 2020 no major car marque caters for muliti fuel, leaving the owner totally reliant on what gets delivered from the refineries to the pump.