What's new

Uncomfortable seats

alloy36

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 CDTi
I have a 04 sport. I love the drive of the thing but i find the seats so uncomfortable, i'm considering selling up. The seats are the sport half leather non heated ones. How do others on here find them?

I'm 6 foot tall and a bit fat (16-17 stones) i dont fit right well in my seat and my long distance commute in this car has done my back in!!

Do i:

a) sell up and buy an exec
B) adjust my seat differently (i've tried all sorts but welcome suggestions)
c) sell up and buy a volvo s80
d) accept its just me and there is nothing wrong with the seats

I'm interested to hear how others find them. There is something wrong if i find the seats in the company pool car astra more comfortable.

Thanks all

I used to have a Volvo S60 and the seats in that were notoriously good. I would rate my Accord Seats right up there with those. Mine is an Exec though. But i think the only difference is they are full leather no half. And electric of course.

I find my 2.4 Exec seats very comfy.....are they the same basic design as yours?

VTEC6.jpg

I find my 2.4 Exec seats very comfy.....are they the same basic design as yours?

VTEC6.jpg

They must be different. Everyone (thats not an overstatement) who gets in my car always comments how comfy my seats are. Even back seat passengers.

Wifey reckons the Back Seats are MORE comfortable than the front, and on long journey's will swap with one of the kids and sit in the back.

I find the drivers seat needs to go a few mm lower, and the base needs to tilt back a few degrees more, but I've found that the straighter the back rest, the better it is for me.

I'm a slight 16 stone short legged long bodied ape

I'm 6ft6/16 Stone find the seats really comfy on long distance commutes, over 4 years i put 80k miles commuting on my sport.

I've got mine pumped down as low as they go to the floor (lever on the side of the chair), so the bottom of the seat inclines and the back is quite a bit from upright.

I don't know if the sport has stiffer suspension than the normal, but the suspension is pretty firm on mine, that might not help, especially on pothole ridden roads. I know someone who always drove mondeo zetecs and then bought an LX (bouncey suspension) and had to sell it because the suspension setup killed his back.

My car has become known as the "Big blue sleep machine" because everyone in my family ends up falling asleep in it.

I'm 6ft6/16 Stone find the seats really comfy on long distance commutes, over 4 years i put 80k miles commuting on my sport.

I've got mine pumped down as low as they go to the floor (lever on the side of the chair), so the bottom of the seat inclines and the back is quite a bit from upright.

I don't know if the sport has stiffer suspension than the normal, but the suspension is pretty firm on mine, that might not help, especially on pothole ridden roads. I know someone who always drove mondeo zetecs and then bought an LX (bouncey suspension) and had to sell it because the suspension setup killed his back.

My car has become known as the "Big blue sleep machine" because everyone in my family ends up falling asleep in it.

Ive just sold a SAAB 9-5 Aero = now thats a comfy supportive seat = out of this world - but Im very impressed with the comfort of the seats in my sport tourer = Im a big bloke and I think theyre excellent. Its one of the reasons I didnt buy a Mondeo or Avensis - they were very average.

Ive just sold a SAAB 9-5 Aero = now thats a comfy supportive seat = out of this world - but Im very impressed with the comfort of the seats in my sport tourer = Im a big bloke and I think theyre excellent. Its one of the reasons I didnt buy a Mondeo or Avensis - they were very average.

It is indeed. A friend had one i think we clocked mach 3 on it in the highlands a few years back. Fastest round trip to the "green welly stop" for beer and firewood ever made.

I love my Beemer's seats lol

Actually my Accord seats were very good, and I really spend a long time on the motorway. The best seats ever are definitely in SAAB's though - my 93 Aero soft top had lovely mile soaking seats, in fact even the 9000 Turbo we had back in the day had fantastic seats. Nobody quite does comfort like the Swedes.

I think your back problems are related to something else - I have had back issues until recently when a change of job to a bit more physically demanding one has strengthened my back slightly and the issues have gone away.

I am 6'2'' and just short of 24 stone so I am definitely on the plus side - I do not do long distances in the car but the seats have not caused me issues.

Too much sitting down and not using your back muscles are the root of the problem (please don't tell me in your response that you work 12 hours a day as a hod carrier! ).

My seats are fine 06 tourer but no were near as comfy as the volvos 2 v70s and s80 as ive mentioned before only thing i miss from my volvos are the seats and autobox

Thanks guys,

I've been wanting to ask this question for ages. It defintley seems like the problem does not lie with the car but me.

I'm glad in a way about this as I am too young to be looking at Volvos and Saabs but had found myself recently scanning these on the net for the comfort of the seats. This problem had scared me silly of cars like mondeo st, m sport bmws and s lines etc due to their seats.

Interestingly, my first and only previous car was a 98 Nissan Almera. I commuted up and down the M1 daily in that thing and put a 100k on the clock. The seats were very comfortable they were velor type and I found them good all year round. So that has me thinking it must be the accord seats.

On the other hand, I must admit, I spend an awful lot of time sat down. An hour commute each way and 8 hours at the desk - sometimes more. Thats an awful lot of sitting. I'm considering asking for a better seat at work as our office chairs are bog standard and not very good. I find myself having toilet breaks and making coffee for no other reason than to get off my chair!!!

I've tried a new seat position today. I'll see how that goes.

I was thinking about it this morning, I need to have the seat fairly back to be able to use the pedals properley. This means my back support is just slightly off vertical to allow me to use the steering wheel properley but this hurts my lower back. If I incline the seat back a bit, my lower back feels better but I get upper back pain as I have to stretch a bit to use the steering wheel properley. If only the steering wheel could come out a couple of inches thus allowing me to incline my seat back slightly that would make all the difference - imo

Interesting to read other big guys finding the sports seats fine.

I always heard the Accord had a good reputation for comfy seats, not quite in the same league as Volvo, but pretty good nonetheless. I've done 750 miles in a day in mine and found them to be really good.

Interestingly, I've also got a 98 Almera and while the seats are fine and I've done many 5-6 hour trips in them, I prefer the comfort of the Accord.

I tend to drop the seat as low as possible and recline it a fair way back but then again, I'm only 5' 8" and 11 stone so maybe I don't qualify to comment!

My last car was a Volvo C70, only sold due to horrific fuel economy and a new job, and the seats in that were absolutely amazing. If I give those an arbitrary 10/10, the accord seats are probably a 7 or 8. I think the side support bits are too hard and overall the whole seat could be softer so you really "sink in" to it.

I could not agree more the type s seat are awful, 1.5 hours and the pain starts to kick in!! My wife also hates the seats.

I once drove 7hours in my celica and climbed out the other end like I just got in. I think 2.5hrs max in the accord and I would need 10min break/walk to straighten out.

Favourite car seat saab 9-3 Aero.

Your not the first to mention this, you could perhaps try to get leather seats.

I have half leather sports seats in a tourer.
Whilst I find the seats comfortable overall, on longer journeys I struggle a little due to the width of the sports seats.
The sides of the seat and back of the chair designed to hold you are a little narrow this tends to lead to me getting numb thighs and slouched shoulders on longer journeys.

Germanic seats in BMW/Audi/VW were comfortable, though the latest Passats sports seats are a challenge to get in and out of.
The most comfortable seats I have experienced (arm chair style) we a Renualt Laguna (very soft) and Saab Tourer

I just got rid of a saab 9-5 which just wasn't for me, but the seats were fantastic. Vector Sport - half leather and they were just right.

Saying that my Saab 900 16v Turbo from 1990 had the best seats I've ever sat in, if memory serves me right.

Are you already at the limit of the telescopic adjustment?

You my friend are a legend. I've been out and discovered that the steering wheel will come out. Just been for a drive and it felt like a different car. So relaxing๎…๎—

I'm so glad i started this thread. Will make my drive to the humber bridge all week so much better

Thanks a lot

I'm only 5' 7" and weigh 9 stone. Yes, I'm a small bloke - hence the big car ;) . I find the seats very comfortable, but sometimes think I could do with them being a little more snug feeling. As a little dude, the seats kind of swallow me up :lol: . But I think if they were made for me, then most people would just pop out of them every time the car went over a bump due to the seat being too narrow and tight :lol: .

My Dad's 6' 2" and weighs 16 stone (he's a big guy). He thinks my car's simply wonderful, the comfort being one of the main factors. He prefers it over his old C200 Merc and he almost prefers it over his Volvo 440GL. That Volvo was an awesome machine though. They really don't make them like they used to. It was the saloon, he did over 200K in it, had it 15 years and it broke down only twice :huh: . I didn't think much of the Merc. It was an M Reg, mid nineties, it was a noisy and uncomfortable drive and very unreliable, tons of things broke on it. Towed 4 times in 5 years <_< .

Anyway, I digress, the seats in the Accord are very good indeed. I've done 4-hour straight drives without stopping, gotten out and felt fresh as a daisy.

:)

I miss my 440 Turbo - 18 years old and I had a turbo.

comfortable, safe and fairly quick.

I still feel the seats are a bit too narrow. A friend who had an exec told me his seats were brilliant and he thinks the sport seats are different.

Anyway, will see how i get on. It can only get better. I still cant believe i missed the telescopic adjustment and i've had the car 10 months!!

You live and learn.

Now can we please stop talking about how good the swedish car seats are, the S80 is tempting!!! ๎…๎•

I'd have imagined the sport seats would be a little more bucketed, but having never been in a sport, I couldn't comment. I sat in an 8th gen sport at the dealership last time I was there. I thought that had nicer seats than mine. More snug. But like I said, I'm a small guy so the more snug the car seat the better as my wiry frame tends to slide around a bit in most car seats :rolleyes: .

I have a 04 sport. I love the drive of the thing but i find the seats so uncomfortable, i'm considering selling up. The seats are the sport half leather non heated ones. How do others on here find them?

I'm 6 foot tall and a bit fat (16-17 stones) i dont fit right well in my seat and my long distance commute in this car has done my back in!!

Do i:

a) sell up and buy an exec
B) adjust my seat differently (i've tried all sorts but welcome suggestions)
c) sell up and buy a volvo s80
d) accept its just me and there is nothing wrong with the seats

I'm interested to hear how others find them. There is something wrong if i find the seats in the company pool car astra more comfortable.

Thanks all

Sounds like it could be your back...you could maybe consider asking your GP to send you to physio, doing yoga or pilates exercises to strengthen your core muscles (if your GP/physio advises), shedding some excess weight (sorry to be blunt), and getting an ergonomic chair at work.

I find the seats in the type S to be a bit uncomfortable you just have to get the balance of height length lumber support and steering wheel right then they don't feel too bad.
But I do agree they are not as comfortable as the full leather maybe they made them like that because being a type S you drive the wheels off the thing get there quicker so your not spending as much time in the damn uncomfortable seats as the ***** exec drivers :p

i did find after a while sat in my accord that my back started to hurt mine are full leather seats but i noticed that on the side of mine there is a lumber support adjuster which was adjusted fully out so i adjusted it back fully in and i dont have a problem now.

Sounds like it could be your back...you could maybe consider asking your GP to send you to physio, doing yoga or pilates exercises to strengthen your core muscles (if your GP/physio advises), shedding some excess weight (sorry to be blunt), and getting an ergonomic chair at work.

Theres nothing like good old fashioned blunt advice!!!

I don't think I've got a particuular back problem. I only drive mon-friday and during the weekend I'm fine. Today for instance no problems whatsoever. During the week when I drive an hour to work and back (as well as sit in the office all day) I get back problems when I get out.

I'll see how I get along this week. I am considering asking for a better chair at work but will see if my new position in the accord resolves the problem first.

Thanks