What's new

VSA, ABS and airbag flashing on display

I love those simple and easy on the pocket fixes :) Drove the car this morning and everything seemed ok. I guess if it would turn out it's the alternator after all, I'll be calling AA soon enough. Hopefully though, I will now be ok

I love those simple and easy on the pocket fixes :) Drove the car this morning and everything seemed ok. I guess if it would turn out it's the alternator after all, I'll be calling AA soon enough. Hopefully though, I will now be ok
Nice one Rob glad your sorted mate

Culprit is back.

Been driving down the B roads tonight. Full beam, radio, blower. Radio started going off, turned the full beam off and it was ok again. I just though 'NOT AGAIN' then the Check System light came on. After that it was old story. Everything lit up, wipers barely moving.

AA came, charged it up, drove back home fine without radio and AC.

I don't mind spending £400 for a new alternator if it will fix the problem, but the worst thing is no one can give me definite answer. The AA guys pointed to the alternator's bearing or clutch. Or bad earth. Will try to get it checked tomorrow but not sure how expensive electric car mechanics are.

And all this 3 days before I was meant to drive 3000m round trip abroad. Well at least I am not stuck in the land of Awful German car.

Rob, if a brand new battery has died in this way and you have nothing else that could be bleeding the battery then its your alternator for sure.. could actually be the alternator clutch as pointd out by the AA man.

Would it make sense to get the clutch and the shorter belt made at the same time? Can I source these parts from Honda and have my garage do it for me?

Yes you can, clutch pulley is circa £75 and £38ish for the belt plus a little labour, I think honda only stock the revised belt now. When your warning lighgt came on were there any noises? or in the morning at first start. because all the ones that have failed have been noisy when not charging and it looks as if yours stops charging for some time for the battery to run flat.

You can get a independant to fit these parts, and in this thread is the new belt route.

As its a dumb (smart) alternator its not always charging fully, and the problem is most likely in the clutch not engaging properly.

Must be the alternator if it happened while you were driving. Especially if you've got a new battery. If the battery had been low before you set off, you wouldn't have been able to start it.

Right, so I've called HH about the parts and the alternator.

I was told that it most likely needs a whole alternator unit replacing, rather than just the pulley and belt. The pulley would just be noisy but should not stop charging.

I'm tempted to just get a new alternator and the revised belt to get this done. Found a new alternator on the web for £275, belt is £25 from HH plus some labour.

What do you guys think about the theory that it might be bad earth? But then I've been driving for a month before this happened again. Why did it take month? I can't understand it.

always try the simple things first. I would get all the connectors off and give them a good clean. Make sure there is absolutely nothing in between the cable and the contact on the car. Remeber to check the batter terminals too, they should be clean and free of any rubbish. If all that fails, then go for a new alternator.

Shouldn't the battery light come on if it wasn't charging enough or at all?

Left the car with Honda now. I need it sorted before end of tomorrow really even if it costs me a bit more than if I bought the parts.

Just had a call confirming it's the alternator. £518 incl fitting and diagnostic fee. Asked to have the revised shorter belt fitted as well if they have them.

Could be maybe 50-70 quid cheaper if I went independent, but I'd have to sweat to get it for tomorrow and then have it fitted.

Well, as long as it's ready on Sat morning for a 3000 mile trip then worth a spend.

If you had more time I could of sorted you out with my old unit which I know only needs the pulley @ £75 to put right, nevermind at least you'll have peace of mind on your journey mate.

It's a lot of money but better than not having the car on the road, good luck with it and enjoy your road trip buddy.

Indeed guys. If I had more time I'd take it easy and save some cash. But it is important that I leave tomorrow. Now all sorted, £565 incl. the new belt. Hope the problem is now solved for good.

Thanks guys!