What's new

wandering and rear tyres

negg1

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord
hi ive a 2.4 accord which wanders and it scrubs the rear tyres on the inside edge would it be worth getting a 4 wheel alignment done ? as the rear camber is not adjustable as far as i know ?? ive done the compliance bushers on the front aswell

hi ive a 2.4 accord which wanders and it scrubs the rear tyres on the inside edge would it be worth getting a 4 wheel alignment done ? as the rear camber is not adjustable as far as i know ?? ive done the compliance bushers on the front aswell

It is a Tourer???? I only ask - every set of tyres I've had on mine, the rear tyres have always worn more on the inside than the outer shoulders - approx 1.5 mm difference across the tyre. I've had it happen on every brand of tyre.... Michelin / Pirelli (P6000 / Pzero / PZero Rosso) & Bridgestone. I regularly have the car checked for alignment and it very rarely needs tweeking - despite the poor roads!!! As for wandering, I HAVE experienced (as have others) certain tyre types that do tramline, particularly more so as the tread wears down. As for tyre preferrence - down to your own choice and driving style :)

Absolutely. The Accord in general is very sensitive to tramlining. Some tramlining is inevitable because of the size, weight and the wide wheels (I'm ***uming you have 17" wheels). Get a full alignment done and get your tracking checked also while you're at it.

My next suggestion would be the compliance bushes, but you say you've done that. The other thing is to just check for rubbing brakes. The rears have a habit of seizing or not completely lifting off due to tiny dirt particles from brake hose corrosion getting stuck in the calliper pistons. After a journey, just walk round the car and feel if any wheels are perhaps hotter than they should be (you might be able to smell it too if it's bad).

Finally consider tyres. There are a couple of threads about tyres, but I'm sure some people have found certain tyres to help reduce tram lining.

Oh, do you (or a previous owner) use the car to tow a caravan or a trailer?

:)

im going to get the wheel alignment done tomorrow yes it is a tourer and i do use it to tow a caravan im thinking its the tow in/out settings but not sure ?

Ok, well yes, my tourer too isn't perfect in the rear tyre wear area. But I kind of live with it. I think it's something a fair few of us will experience over time with the tourers. I don't tow, but I know others here do and experience issues with the rear. Over time towing may put the rear out a mm or two. In fact I think Brett has actually bought after market adjustable tow fitments for his rears so he can get his alignment 100%. He's got a thread about it.

can you adjust the tow settings on standard arms ? my mate told me you could by turning a bolt which is oval or something ??

Steve is correct I do tow and with the weight on the rear it will wear your inside of the tyre more.
I'm still waiting for the tyres to wear out compleaty then I will get my camber kit fitted.
When the tyres are gone I will get 4 new tyres and my adjustable cambers fitted all in one go.

sorry its a saloon dont know what i was thinking !!! too much going on in my head lol only thing i can say is that honda says its normal and i get a humming sound from rear which sounds like wheel bearing noisew buts its not again honda says this is normal ! but im not so sure

The humming noise is the uneven wear on the tyres trust me iv had this.
My advice is get a 4 wheel alignment from a hunter.
If the settings are out of spec and cannot be adjusted buy adjustable camber kit job done.

Also the tow is adjustable on standard suspension but the camber is not.
On my car the camber is out because the rear springs has slightly compressed so by having adjustable cambers this will put the car back in spec.
If this is your case have your car set up in the upper spec range and when you have the caravan on it will lower the rear but still be in spec

get a hunter and dont wast time at a quick fit jobbie, i was thru grief with mine.

in the end a eibach camber arm and hunter fixed up all and well but i have coilovers also.

The humming noise is the uneven wear on the tyres trust me iv had this.
My advice is get a 4 wheel alignment from a hunter.
If the settings are out of spec and cannot be adjusted buy adjustable camber kit job done.
Sorry to disagree Brett, but I don't get uneven wear on my rear tyres at all, but I've had humming for a couple of years now, and the dealer has said it's the bearings, and my MOT man agrees. Not an MOT failure, the MOT man says that the bearings feel secure, but he can hear a slight clicking when he rotates the wheel, which becomes a hum when there's weight and rpm is increased. On my car, the "hum" has become a "drone" over the last couple of years. I've got the bearings, but not changed them yet.

Brett might be right, or the dealer might be right.

However, I also had very bad wander when I bought the car from the dealer in 2006, it had original factory fitted Japanese tyres on (can't remember the Brand). When they wore out, I fitted Michelins and the wander stopped. Then when the fronts wore out I fitted Pirelli's (might have been Bridgetones) and the wander came back. I swapped the fronts to the back , and the wander stopped.

I've never needed an alignment in the whole time I've had the car (since 2006), and I've found that tyre Brand affects wander more than anthing else. Seen this said in other threads on this forum.

However, in the case of the original postee, you never know, I'm just saying that in my experience, don't rely on alignment to solve the hum or the wander.

EDIT ....and yes the inner edges of the rear tyres did used to wear out on the original Japanese Brand (Yokohama I think), which I mentioned to the dealer in 2006 when car was under warranty, no idea if or what the dealer did. Never happened again with Michelins.

ahh rite very intresting indeed well it wont hurt to put it on a hunter system for a piece of mind also the rears are cheap nasty things dont know the make but ive 2 michelin pilot sports ready to go on and brett do you mean have the camber set up in the upper settings if i get adjusters ?

Sorry to disagree Brett, but I don't get uneven wear on my rear tyres at all, but I've had humming for a couple of years now, and the dealer has said it's the bearings, and my MOT man agrees. Not an MOT failure, the MOT man says that the bearings feel secure, but he can hear a slight clicking when he rotates the wheel, which becomes a hum when there's weight and rpm is increased. On my car, the "hum" has become a "drone" over the last couple of years. I've got the bearings, but not changed them yet.

Brett might be right, or the dealer might be right.

However, I also had very bad wander when I bought the car from the dealer in 2006, it had original factory fitted Japanese tyres on (can't remember the Brand). When they wore out, I fitted Michelins and the wander stopped. Then when the fronts wore out I fitted Pirelli's (might have been Bridgetones) and the wander came back. I swapped the fronts to the back , and the wander stopped.

I've never needed an alignment in the whole time I've had the car (since 2006), and I've found that tyre Brand affects wander more than anthing else. Seen this said in other threads on this forum.

However, in the case of the original postee, you never know, I'm just saying that in my experience, don't rely on alignment to solve the hum or the wander.

EDIT ....and yes the inner edges of the rear tyres did used to wear out on the original Japanese Brand (Yokohama I think), which I mentioned to the dealer in 2006 when car was under warranty, no idea if or what the dealer did. Never happened again with Michelins.
I think Brett is referring to a very common problem with these cars which is caused directly by the tyres. I have experienced this despite mechanics pointing to the bearings. The humming/drone would stop with new tyres. However, the Accords also have problems with rear bearings going in some cases- so it could be both. But if your bearings are gone, then they are gone. Let us know how it goes when you replace them.

I think Brett is referring to a very common problem with these cars which is caused directly by the tyres. I have experienced this despite mechanics pointing to the bearings. The humming/drone would stop with new tyres. However, the Accords also have problems with rear bearings going in some cases- so it could be both. But if your bearings are gone, then they are gone. Let us know how it goes when you replace them.
I'm also referring to a common problem, lots of threads in this forum on hum/drone from rear wheel bearings. And as I mentioned, since the hum started on my car over 2 years ago, I've had different tyres on the back, and none have had uneven wear, and the dealer mechanics and my MOT mechanic (who I've been going to for 25 years) all say the noise is the bearings, and I agree with them 100%, just can't be bothered to replace them as it's not an MOT fail i.e. bearings are not "gone" they're just making a noise.

I see, point taken:)

Yes, it can be difficult pin point the actual problem. The humming is so annoying though,, how have you put up with it for so long?? I get really p***** off at any small rattle or unusual sounds:)

When the rear end is loaded up and the suspension drops it takes on some negative camber which will also wear the insides of your rear tyres and over time this can cause a droning sound from the rear end very similar to worn wheel bearings.

If you are towing I would suggest trying to obtain some spring ***istors which slot in between a coil of the rear springs preventing the rear dropping so much and hence the negative camber and tyre wear.

Yes, it can be difficult pin point the actual problem. The humming is so annoying though,, how have you put up with it for so long?? I get really p***** off at any small rattle or unusual sounds:)
:lol: I've got a to-do list (car and non-car) as long as my arm, and my rear bearings are not even on the list (and the only person I trust to do anything right is me). Definitely a barely audible clicking when rotating the wheel, but bearing is not loose, I'll do it if/when the MOT man says it needs doing,

EDIT: I'll have to put a "blog" in the members gallery outlining what I've done to the car in the 6 years and 72k miles I've done in it, I've got all the receipts so I can refer back.

Anyway, we're hijacking this thread :lol: but in my experience a humming noise doesn't have to be tyres

I must admit I thought I needed new rear wheel bearings until I replaced my rear tyres

ahh rite very intresting indeed well it wont hurt to put it on a hunter system for a piece of mind also the rears are cheap nasty things dont know the make but ive 2 michelin pilot sports ready to go on and brett do you mean have the camber set up in the upper settings if i get adjusters ?
Yes mate but keep the car in spec still.As by doing this when the caravan is hooked up the extra weight will bring - camber so you should still have plenty of play to keep the car in spec when towing.
There will be upper and lower limits.When i get mine done i will be taken my car the Wheels in motion as there probably one of the best around and will do a Bespoke set up for you.

update///well had iton hawk alignment machine and all was ok at rear front a bit out so they adjusted it going to change the rear tyres tomoz for some decent ones see if that helps !

I must admit I thought I needed new rear wheel bearings until I replaced my rear tyres
As I said, been there, seen the film, read the book, got the T-shirt. In my experience, it's not tyres. Wander and wear was tyres, but rears on my car stopped wearing on inner sides when I changed tyres. Later on, hum did not stop when I changed rear tyres. As I say, I could write a long blog of over 6 years with my Accord.

I'm not saying that changing tyres won't stop the hum in some cases, all I'm saying is that be careful saying that alignment and changing the tyres will always stop the hum. I'm also puzzled why there's an emerging school of thought in this forum that mechanics and dealers are always wrong on this.

well put some decent tyres on and its alot better with no noise ! so i will see how it goes ! cheers guys for the help

With new even tyres then the sound will be sorted unless its bearings as was said.How much towing do you do Neil? if you tow a lot just keep an eye on the wear as im sure you will still get this problem.
The only fix is caber arms or axillary springs.I looked into springs but they will rise my car at the rear by 20mm so this was not an option.

micelin pilot sports , i dont do much towing but the camber was in spec so i will just keep my eye on them

With new even tyres then the sound will be sorted unless its bearings as was said.How much towing do you do Neil? if you tow a lot just keep an eye on the wear as im sure you will still get this problem.
The only fix is caber arms or axillary springs.I looked into springs but they will rise my car at the rear by 20mm so this was not an option.

het brett has that induction kit made much difference ?