What's new

What does remap mean

philjory

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord
As in the ***le what does remap mean? I'm just a 59 year old who buys a car for work and pleasure and reading through this forum Remap keeps coming up.

it's where the brain of the car is reprogrammed to boost power, economy or both. all sorts of things are changed, like turbo spool points, fuel pressure, timing are bit a few.

some cats like the ictdi are easier than others.

it's where the brain of the car is reprogrammed to boost power, economy or both. all sorts of things are changed, like turbo spool points, fuel pressure, timing are bit a few.

some cats like the ictdi are easier than others.

Dan has thumbs instead of fingers and means 'but a few' instead of 'bit a few' and 'cars' instead of 'cats'. Remapping is a very easy way to tune a turbo charged car as there are so many variables that can be changed to give very good and safe results. remapping a normally aspirated car does not yield very good power increases although may make a car a bit more drivable.

Phil,

An engine remap is a complete recalibration of the engine management system to introduce new values for the engine maps. Depending on what a customer wants from a remap, our company aims to tune vehicles for increased performance and economy in a single remap.

If you are interested, have a look in the Elite Remaps section further down the homepage, plenty of genuine feedback from members. As for reliability, well we've all been running with this scene a few years now... mine has been remapped around 60k miles ago, and I've had zero issues other than those my car would have had anyway such as cracked manifold and recently a timing chain (all honda warranty jobs).

It all depends who does your remap, there are plenty of cowboys out there screwing up cars too so in that sense I would agree with CJ.

Read around for yourself mate, plenty of info.

Cheers

Fahad

so what i said then...barring the cats... damn this autocomplete wizardry! :D

Never thought I would see that on here, but I fully agree!!

Interesting, so lets open this up a bit - what is it based on?

You could argue clutch, and I wouldn't disagree as it's common sense (not withstanding the clutch flaw design in this car anyway) But what engine reliability issues have we seen because of a remap on the ICTDI?

What I would say is that if you are willing to pass comments like this, please back it up so we can have an informed discussion based on fact instead of personal opinion based on who knows what.

An important factor is how the car is driven after a remap. If you maintain broadly the same driving style then the engine (and other components) should not suffer increased stress and reliability should not be compromised. On the other hand, if you take advantage of increased power by driving harder and faster then reliability could be compromised - even on a Honda. And 'things' will wear out more quickly.

What you need to consider when having a remap is how far your pushing the stock components. the standard map is alwasy going to be more reserved and have abit of safety margin. but doesnt mean a lite remap will cause any realiablilty issues, aslong as is within what the stock car can take.

Another important factor is who is tuning the map! i have seen alot of bad tunes, and they dont drive or run as well as they should. But ive seen good tunes where the car is 100% realiable after a tune after years of driving.

But of courrse any tuning will cause quicker wear to certain components e.g. brakes, tyres, clutch. but thats just normal.

is this what you mean by stock car CJ?

England_Pics_and_stuff_055.jpg

doesn't matter if its petrol or diesel the more you tune it the more stress you put the engine under the less reliable it will be

Im staying out if this one :lol:

I was told that the life of a well serviced engine should be 250k. Once remapped it will shorten it to 200k. For the vast majority of people 200k is still sufficient life.

Just my £0.02 worth...

I was told that the life of a well serviced engine should be 250k. Once remapped it will shorten it to 200k. For the vast majority of people 200k is still sufficient life.

Just my £0.02 worth...
But that might be a pug though Paul not a honda :ph34r:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

come on guys a remap within the tolerances of the engine is fine, and one way of knowing is multiple cars running the map, which time has showed its a reliable map that doesn't push the components beyond there capabilities. Its also a good diagnostic tool for knowing if you got a duff clutch :p

Remaps are for those who love driving, but want the benefits of a diesel... Who said anything about longevity. In the case of the original manifolds. They were pants; and this been seen by as many non mapped cars needing them as mapped (anecdotally of course).

A solid cast one should not be affected by the extra stress or heat cause by a good S1 map, I mean, just how much extra is there actually being pushed through it?

Surely a standard mapped car that is pushed hard is gonna push out just as hot exhaust gases - you are still revving the engines, still burning similar amounts of fuel.

I am not going to argue about Transmissions, clutches, brakes and the like - it is obvious that extra torque and speed will affect them. Most other things though, I would have thought wouldn't be under considerably more stress relative to the stock map.

Get a remap, check your clutch wear?? are you having a laugh or what!!

Clearly the only person laughing at your stupid one line posts is yourself.

If you have nothing of value to add to threads, stay out of them or I'll have to make sure you do.

That almost sounded like support :rolleyes:

OK boss :p

But of course you are correct in that any modification comes with its risks. The idea is to minimise them as much as you can.