What's new

what polish

BigTam

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0 exec auto
I got my 6gen honda accord in pearl black yesterday and love it and its looking great but needs a polish . Whats the best polish guys .
oh and can I still get the type accord badge here .

I got my 6gen honda accord in pearl black yesterday and love it and its looking great but needs a polish . Whats the best polish guys .
oh and can I still get the type accord badge here .

That's opened up a whole debate!

I've used meguairs NXT and autoglymn HD wax on our pirates black Accord and it comes up well.

Best thing to do before anything though that really makes the difference is to clay the paintwork, especially if it hasn't been done.

In all honesty there are loads of products out there and new ones coming out all the time, so you will get lots of varied opinions on waxes.

There are a few topics in the detailing section of the forum.

In respect of the sticker have a look at this thread, you'll need to Pm Alnug

Ta Sticker

That's opened up a whole debate!

I've used meguairs NXT and autoglymn HD wax on our pirates black Accord and it comes up well.

Best thing to do before anything though that really makes the difference is to clay the paintwork, especially if it hasn't been done.

In all honesty there are loads of products out there and new ones coming out all the time, so you will get lots of varied opinions on waxes.

There are a few topics in the detailing section of the forum.

In respect of the sticker have a look at this thread, you'll need to Pm Alnug

Ta Sticker
Thanks but what does CLAY the pain work mean exactly

you buy a small bar of special clay and using either water or a special lubricant you rub it hard all over the paintwork. this removes all sorts of rubbish that washing doesn't. The paint feels as smooth as glass but more importantly the wax/sealent you then use gives a better shine. You only need to do it 1/2 times a year at most unless you regularly park under trees etc.

A good starter clay pack such as http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detailing-clay/meguiars-quik-clay-kit-50g-clay-/prod_226.html

btw, polish would normally be used to describe somethning that takes a fine layer of teh top coat/laquer in the ilk of T cut. What most people really mean is a wax or sealant, often referred to as the final stage product ( FSP )

personally I use a combination of Carlack 68 and Collinite 476 as per this pack and the results are superb

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/complete-detailing-kits/collinite-476s-carlack-kit/prod_408.html

you buy a small bar of special clay and using either water or a special lubricant you rub it hard all over the paintwork. this removes all sorts of rubbish that washing doesn't. The paint feels as smooth as glass but more importantly the wax/sealent you then use gives a better shine. You only need to do it 1/2 times a year at most unless you regularly park under trees etc.

A good starter clay pack such as http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detailing-clay/meguiars-quik-clay-kit-50g-clay-/prod_226.html

btw, polish would normally be used to describe somethning that takes a fine layer of teh top coat/laquer in the ilk of T cut. What most people really mean is a wax or sealant, often referred to as the final stage product ( FSP )

personally I use a combination of Carlack 68 and Collinite 476 as per this pack and the results are superb

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/complete-detailing-kits/collinite-476s-carlack-kit/prod_408.html
im sending for that stuff , I will let you know how I get on .

Autoglym Super Resin Polish
41g2L-eX7VL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Collinite 845 Wax
DSC00057.jpg

check the members ride page link in sig below to see the results that combo does on a 18 year old paint ;)

im sending for that stuff , I will let you know how I get on .

When using the clay ensure that you keep the paintwork lubricated with either water or clay lube (whichever the clay you purchase needs). Keep rotating the clay and re-moulding it, you need to make sure that any grit that gets trapped in it doesn't scratch your paintwork.

Personally I would do it quite light at first, certainly whilst you get used to it, as you are less likely to scratch the paintwork, you can always go over it again.

Another tip is to feel the panel before you start to clay it, you will feel microscopic bits of tar and tree sap etc a bit like very fine sandpaper, after you have clayed it it will feel more like polished glass.

When using the clay ensure that you keep the paintwork lubricated with either water or clay lube (whichever the clay you purchase needs). Keep rotating the clay and re-moulding it, you need to make sure that any grit that gets trapped in it doesn't scratch your paintwork.

Personally I would do it quite light at first, certainly whilst you get used to it, as you are less likely to scratch the paintwork, you can always go over it again.

Another tip is to feel the panel before you start to clay it, you will feel microscopic bits of tar and tree sap etc a bit like very fine sandpaper, after you have clayed it it will feel more like polished glass.
Ive checked out many articles on claying and ordered meguiars kit , I honestly never knew of this little secret ,can't wait to see the results .

Ive checked out many articles on claying and ordered meguiars kit , I honestly never knew of this little secret ,can't wait to see the results .

You won't be disappointed, the only other thing to remember is to do it on a dry day and start early.

Once you have clayed the car the paintwork has no or very little protection, so in order to save all your hard work, your best getting a sealant on and then finishing with a wax all in the same day.

You won't be disappointed, the only other thing to remember is to do it on a dry day and start early.

Once you have clayed the car the paintwork has no or very little protection, so in order to save all your hard work, your best getting a sealant on and then finishing with a wax all in the same day.
Hi I've ordered collinite 845 heavy duty insulator wax and autoglym super resin polish and meguiars clay kit .

Please forgive my ignorance but after i do the clay part what order do I apply the other products IE which is next the collinite 845 or the autoglym :wub:

Thanks .

I've found Auto Glym's Ultra Deep Shine the best for covering swirl and giving a glossy sheen finish on black..

I've found Auto Glym's Ultra Deep Shine the best for covering swirl and giving a glossy sheen finish on black..
The best for red too dude!!!!!

Have fun with the claying! It takes a fair while, but REALLY worth it. Will remove all tar spots too! Not too sure about other people but takes me about 45 mins to do a door and half hour for the front wing.

Hi I've ordered collinite 845 heavy duty insulator wax and autoglym super resin polish and meguiars clay kit .

Please forgive my ignorance but after i do the clay part what order do I apply the other products IE which is next the collinite 845 or the autoglym :wub:

Thanks .

Personally not used collinite 845 but looking at the product spec and the product spec of the AG super resin polish, I would do it in the following order.

Wash the car ( using a wash mitt and preferably two buckets one to get clean water from and one to rinse the wash mitt in, basically called the two bucket method)
Preferably dry the car off with a drying towel, rather than a leather.

Clay the car, it is time consuming, just remember it is well worth it, then wash it again that will get rid of any clay residue left over from the lubricant ( less if you use a microfibre cloth to wipe as you go.)

Then use the AG super resin polish, this has a paint cleanser, polish and a sealant all in one so you should also get a good glimpse of what sort of finish your going to get.

Finally finish with the collinite 845, which by the write up should give a good finish and hard protective coat, then stand back with a nice drink and admire your handy work, then once it has been rained upon, admire again how it just beads away ;)

I'd never heard about claying. One thing though, if your car has had some body work done can you still clay it? I'd hate to think all the paint might come off, I don't know who sprayed our car so I don't know if they've done a good job or not. It looks good you can only see it has been sprayed if you know what to look for.

Yes I actually did read the specs on this product for black and it might be better , i might change to this if I the product hasn't shipped .

Autoglym Super Resin Polish
41g2L-eX7VL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Collinite 845 Wax
DSC00057.jpg

check the members ride page link in sig below to see the results that combo does on a 18 year old paint ;)
Marcus thats a lovely car ,well done its blindingly gleaming ,if I get that quality i,m gonna be well happy . I am sticking to your combo , end off .

I will upload some before and after pics when the pain is done ,hope we get a full dry day here in West Lothian .

I'd never heard about claying. One thing though, if your car has had some body work done can you still clay it? I'd hate to think all the paint might come off, I don't know who sprayed our car so I don't know if they've done a good job or not. It looks good you can only see it has been sprayed if you know what to look for.

Michelle,

You should be ok, although I would use a softer clay something like bilt hamber Auto Clay Bilt-Hamber Auto Clay - Soft

Just be gentle with the passes of the clay and keep it well lubed over the re-painted area. Equally do the area with a clean piece of clay as it will possibly be easier to scratch.

In all honesty you need very little pressure is actually needed, it is more important to keep the area wet with the lubricant / water as this helps the clay to glide and helps prevent any unwanted damage to the paintwork.

Amazon posted my materials yesterday , Meguiars clay kit , 1000ml autoglym No 1 super resin , Collinite Wax No.845 Heavy Duty Insulator Wax .
All I need is a full dry day next week . Question is what dusters are best , I have a few types including 100% cotton Tshirts , lint , micro fibre ( i use on TFT monitor) etc , your thoughts on dusters ?

Amazon posted my materials yesterday , Meguiars clay kit , 1000ml autoglym No 1 super resin , Collinite Wax No.845 Heavy Duty Insulator Wax .
All I need is a full dry day next week . Question is what dusters are best , I have a few types including 100% cotton Tshirts , lint , micro fibre ( i use on TFT monitor) etc , your thoughts on dusters ?

Microfibre all the way!

Well iv just brought AG last week to add to my collection of around 8 different sealants.
Iv also got the AG gloss that i use as a top coat after.

Good work on the choice of products, if done right you wont be disappointed, as people have said on here, wash, clay, polish and wax is the way to go.

Yep microfibre for the buffing with the polish and wax, and a foam applicator pad is recommended for applying them both. but a Microfibre will do just fine.

Now wait for the rain to stop and get shining!

haHa :lol: The last application( collinites 845) arrived first ,as per product label a scud missile couldn't penetrate this stuff, if its fit for power lines and space ships its fit for my honda .

haHa :lol: The last application( collinites 845) arrived first ,as per product label a scud missile couldn't penetrate this stuff, if its fit for power lines and space ships its fit for my honda .
Do you guys remove the dealership rectangular badge from the inside bottom the rear window ( weir Honda Edinburgh phone xxxx ) I tried to remove it and its solid . I was wanting to put a TA badge there soon .
:huh:

Do you guys remove the dealership rectangular badge from the inside bottom the rear window ( weir Honda Edinburgh phone xxxx ) I tried to remove it and its solid . I was wanting to put a TA badge there soon .
:huh:

I removed mine about a month or so after buying.

It was a bright yellow AC sticker, on the outside of the window.

The TA sticker goes on the outside of the glass btw.

Job done

I got all three products and started yesterday at 8am and was absolutely delighted with the finished result , took me 6 hours in all . My wife says she's never saw a shinier car and she don't usually comment on cars . The claying stage took the longest and was quite tedious but i persevered ,washed with clean warm water and hosed down and dried car . The AG was goes on nicely and I done the whole car before buffing off , at this stage I was getting exited when i could see my face on the bonnet reflection , had a cupa before the collinites stage , the collinite 845 was even easier than the AG to apply ( used thin kind of gauze cloths cut to about 8 inch squares folded into quarter that size to apply everything and i found that once the cloth was saturated it went on better ) . Again I done the whole car before going back to the start to buff off . i had a brainwave , this time I used 2 micro fibre cloths , one in each hand doing kind off chasing motions , one duster foliowing the other and once I got a rhythm going it worked very well , however the collinites was harder to remove than the AG , this part took a good hour but boy was i happy after i,d finished . I was happy but still felt a final buff with a 100% cotton rag ( old Tshirt) was needed so I spent another half hour doing this , brilliant , the final result is outstanding .
Thanks all for the recommendations and tips ( I was amused to see the water beading on my hands after the collinites , took a fair bit of warm water and soap to remove) , I still have 70% of AG left and about the same of collinites so this will last a couple of years . I don't expect to be doing this until maybe spring next year .

PS done the stock Honda alloys too ,they're sparking .
I would like a new set of alloys , maybe for Christmas .

shove another coat of colly on as soon as you can I find 2-3 coats really makes it last with mine still beading after 4-5 months.

Good work man, pics?

Ideally the Colli needs to be applied panel at a time, if you have managed to buff off 100% of the colli after letting it sit while you apply it to the whole car then you done well!

Good work man, pics?

Ideally the Colli needs to be applied panel at a time, if you have managed to buff off 100% of the colli after letting it sit while you apply it to the whole car then you done well!
I do admit that it was tough going getting all the coll' off ,thats why I have aching shoulders today , I,m going to take the above advice and apply another layer of collinites after I wash it ,maybe tomorrow .