What's new

What sort of mpg do you all get on your diesels?

My friend (who has to 2007 model with a 6th gear) now seems to indicate that he might be able to hit the 800 mark on a full tank - we both drive like our grandad's.

My onboard (facelift) computer can/does claim I'll get 800-820 miles from a full tank. However it clearly ***umes I'll use some sort of zen like driving characteristics to actually achieve such a figure as in reality it'll manage 620 ish of mixed driving.
Don't trust the on board display - it takes into account an ***umption of distance based on falling through gravity for 200 odd miles.

Maybe.

When I first fill up it usually estimates 620ish miles I've just done 433 miles on 49litres so thats 40mpg mainly short journeys with heaters on full blast.

Over the 9928 miles I drove in mine in the 8 months I had her she average 41.43mpg. Best was 48.68mpg on a tank. Worst was 38.39. Mainly slow rush hour type driving.

As a bit of an experiment, over the last two months, I've changed my driving style to "relaxed" driving with not much hard acceleration, driving around 50 to 62 MPH (speed limits on roads I use 80 to 100KMph) and I've noticed a massive improvement in fuel consumption. I've been calculating how much fuel I've been using by traditional methods and I've been getting >56MPG. I've recently started using spritmonitor and it says 58.6MPG which does seem about right even though I don't have many entries in that system. The information on the on-board computer is not too far off also. Also, I got a remap during this time too which also helped a lot.

Before I started driving easy (i.e. shoe down :lol: ) I was getting MPG values in the low 40s

Last 10 tanks of fuel calculated, not using the trip as that usually says 50+
This is all sensible driving, probably 70% motorway in 6th gear

Starting with most recent mpg:

Not the best to say the least :lol:

Last tank was an unbelievable (for a tourer) 66.5mpg!

Usually average 42mpg with town and A roads with occasional heavy foot action but less motorway. Majority of this record tanks mileage had been over New Year, traveling up to Cairngorms for some skiing and then over to Loch Awe for Hogmanay. So a mix of steady 65mph motorway cruise control, steady 60mph icy A roads with gentle foot (after two lane slide coming off a roundabout and a tank slapper overtaking on first dual carriageway encountered), some 30mph very foggy B roads and some 40mph nighttime A/B road where buffoon at front of queue wasn't using their main beam.

It can be done.

Old topic I know, but for info - I get 45-47 on average from my I-cdti. That's driving fairly "hard" but all on open roads, very little city or sitting in traffic.

My trip computer seems to be within 3-4 mpg of accurate.

I get low 50s depending on how I drive - combination of landscapes!

if I'm angelic I get to 60mpg (just!)

car computer is 3 mpg optimistic (facelifted saloon)

I have had my car from new and when refuelling I always brim the tank and log my fuel and mileage on a spreadsheet.
The second trip on the car has never been touched and shows 47.6 MPG over 84,000 miles

Actual MPG figures from my spreadsheet:

Year
2007 44.07 MPG

2008 43.55 MPG

2009 44.37 MPG

2010 44.78 MPG

The above figures are all using supermarket or cheapest diesel available at the time. Having read all the topics and advantages of using Shell VPD I tried it at the beginning of last month despite the 8p per litre premium. I did notice that the engine seemed quieter, smoother and possibly more powerful, but I achieved exactly the same MPG. So I shall continue with the cheapest diesel and keep the £5 per fill up.

If I stick to 70 on the motorway then the computer shows 50 to 51 MPG

On average I get around 45-48MPG. My usual commute is 20 miles round trip driving at 40mph max. However on motorway journeys I've seen MPG jump up to late 50s.

According to my iPhone App I get 50.1 mpg. I travel a 70 mile round journey, a mix of A & B roads. I regularly get over 600 miles from a tank of normal Texaco diesel.

My latest reading is 53mpg. (This was on a full tank of V Power Diesel). I brim the tank and calculate from actual mileage figures each time. I try to keep speed to between 50/55mph and use cruise control on longer stretches. I changed the oil to 0w-30 recently and have also been switching off the engine at lights if I know the lights have just changed. I'm currently trying a mixture of Fuelsave and VPD to see if there's any difference. Interesting to read above comments from members who drive at higher speeds and still getting quite a respectable return. Must try that on the next tank or two and see how the results compare!

My best so far.. mostly 60mph tootling along listening to Vine on R2 but then 100 miles of it tonight was a return blast to Manchester airport with full load in the car. Wasn't all 60mph, there was some little bursts in there when a few Germans needed to be taught a lesson or two :lol:

The way it's going, that reserve is still good for another 40-50 miles.

09032011.jpg

My best so far.. mostly 60mph tootling along listening to Vine on R2 but then 100 miles of it tonight was a return blast to Manchester airport with full load in the car. Wasn't all 60mph, there was some little bursts in there when a few Germans needed to be taught a lesson or two :lol:

The way it's going, that reserve is still good for another 40-50 miles.

09032011.jpg
Im in tears....Excellent result mate at this point I have 370 miles....(hides in the corner and cries)

Dan, trust me my economy normally is 100 miles less than this. I just wanted to see what could be achieved and I was really amazed. Also bear in mind you have a tourer which won't achieve the same figures.

Fresh from a service - noticeable improvement.
Climate on auto, remap, vpower, 630 miles (50.2mpg calculated / 51.3 obc)

So I hit 678 miles before I filled up tonight. Looking at my receipt I filled it with 55.21 litres of VPD @ £77.79

11.4p p/mile anyone ;)

If anything, it's just made me relax my driving style a bit as I can see a direct correlation with the (lack of) funds in my back pocket.

So I hit 678 miles before I filled up tonight. Looking at my receipt I filled it with 55.21 litres of VPD @ £77.79

11.4p p/mile anyone ;)

If anything, it's just made me relax my driving style a bit as I can see a direct correlation with the (lack of) funds in my back pocket.
Yes, but.....

I prefer to get where I'm going sometimes this lifetime.....

11.4p p/mile anyone ;)

That is an impressive result. My best so far was 600miles before the fuel gauge light came on. So I guess the remap advantage does make all the difference!

My first full tank was 629 miles which included a spell at the Honda dealer getting a new fuel filter fitted. This isn't bad as I guess there was a lot of engine idling and short movements to kill the economy (the average mpg display was reset).

However, today I had a 300+ mile round-trip to Chesire from Hertfordshire and when I got home, the average MPG was showing 60.3mpg. That wasn't even driving like a total daisy either - set cruise at 75mph on the M1 and A50 on the way up, then set just shy of 80mph on the way back - although I completed an oil change on Sunday which might have helped (as would the country roads and 50mph average speed roadworks). Tyres are 35psi all round.

The challenge now is to try and maintain that on my 55mpg commute to see if I can break the magic 700...

Using the full to full method I get about 39mpg with my Tourer when I'm running around on short journeys. Returning from France using nainly autoroutes I regularly get 56mpg.

Economy in this car is all about long journeys. It's not bad on short runs but the difference in economy between short and long runs is astounding really.

i got 475 miles out of my tourer before the light came on, stuck 55L back in it, i only do 20 miles a day to and from work

im more than happy with that as i only got 300 miles out of the beemer, same size tank too

just out of interest when does every one elses light come on, i picked up the car with the needle on the red line no light, filled up,

and when the light came on this time it was a couple of notches before the red line is that normal

Yowser I dont know whether I just have a new car heavy foot or my car needs some attention but I am only getting about 38mpg driving to and from Northampton to Oxford.

Looking forward to a long run up to Yorkshire in a fortnight - Put this 500+ miles to the test

Last Saturday, I went from Derby to Oldham and back for work. Having just done an Oil change a couple of weeks before, I brimmed with V-Power diesel. Stuck resolutely to the limits over the A roads to Whaley Bridge (50mph), and then MWay (not more than 70 mph). On the return leg, I got stuck in stop start in Oldham for 2 hours - the safety Wombles had shut the M67 out of Oldham - which ruined the exercise! Re-brimmed when I got back and the actual consumption was 46.5mpg! Just brimmed up tonight and, with town running and not being too careful, it worked out at 40.09mpg.

I'm a little disappointed with the general fuel consumption on the car, and it seems that you have to drive really carefully to get anything approaching 50mpg. But it certainly sounds like a re-map would help, based on what the guys are saying in the forum.

BTW, to calculate real mpg, you need to fill up and reset your trip, do some distance, then fill up again. Take your mileage figure and divide it by the litres used. Then multiply the figure you have by 4.5456 (that's how many litres are in a gallon), and....Hey Presto! Miles per Gallon.

BTW, to calculate real mpg, you need to fill up and reset your trip, do some distance, then fill up again. Take your mileage figure and divide it by the litres used. Then multiply the figure you have by 4.5456 (that's how many litres are in a gallon), and....Hey Presto! Miles per Gallon.

or just use this:

mpg calc

Or use the iphone app called Road trip, I use the lite version as its free :)

I know its not an Accord :unsure: but my Monday-Friday diesel is currently averaging 7.91MPG so far this week. Just a shame my Accord aint got a V8 580BHP diesel under the bonnet :rolleyes:

tripcomp.jpg