What's new

What sort of mpg do you all get on your diesels?

Was at London this weekend and tanked the car before going. It took just under half a tank to go there and come back. In total I have covered around 440 miles in a half a tank. Based on this I would expect around 800+ miles to a tank. This was achived using cruise at 70 mph

Can't remember how many miles per tank but my mpg according to speedo mpg is 57 and that is booting it all over the place since remap, I was advised by Fahad to give it some beans to settle it in ;) honest :lol:

Excuse a newbie please, what is Fahad?

My first full tank was 629 miles which included a spell at the Honda dealer getting a new fuel filter fitted. This isn't bad as I guess there was a lot of engine idling and short movements to kill the economy (the average mpg display was reset).

However, today I had a 300+ mile round-trip to Chesire from Hertfordshire and when I got home, the average MPG was showing 60.3mpg. That wasn't even driving like a total daisy either - set cruise at 75mph on the M1 and A50 on the way up, then set just shy of 80mph on the way back - although I completed an oil change on Sunday which might have helped (as would the country roads and 50mph average speed roadworks). Tyres are 35psi all round.

The challenge now is to try and maintain that on my 55mpg commute to see if I can break the magic 700...
Ben, are your tyres 205/55/16's? The sticker on my door is for a 225/45/17 and couldnt find the right tyre pressure for the 16's. I had my manifold fixed/replaced at HH recently, on the way to HH my MPG is quite variable between 49-52MPG motorway driving on the OBC, thats with a leaking manifold, but after getting the car back it's now only between 40-45 MPG. Do they reset the ECU after the work's done?

we have self adjusting ecu's, so it should settle itself down.

I average about 50+mpg driving 50 miles a day mostly Motorway and dual carriageway. Get about 580 miles on a full tank.

Most I've seen on the computer display was 57.

Round trip to legoland with 79mph on cc most the of the way; but not hanging around either... 52mpg.

54.7 (Diesel Estate) on a run from Manchester to Torquay - it hasn't got a mpg computer so I filled it up logged the miles and filled it up again and divided lites/miles. Fantastic!

If anyone is wanting to keep a record of what they are using, i've got an excel sheet i can foward on. Just put in the mileage at fill up, the date of fill up, the number of litres and the price per litre. It will give you cost to fill, cost of fuel used, cost per day, mpg and cost per mile. Also gives you some charts so you can quickly see how your economy etc compares over time, and also some cells showing some averages over a period of time. Even has a fuel cost calculator which looks at your average cost per mile, put in your trip distance and get a rough cost for the trip. If anyone wants a copy, pm me your email address and i'll forward it on.

Sounds like a swanky version of mine :D... Will drop you a message.

Cheers bud. Will have a play tomorrow. Will send you mine if you like ;).

Derby to Manchester City Centre and back (twice, and cross country, instead of M50, M6), and a run from Derby to Skeggy and back - 44.5mpg. And I wasn't being especially careful!!

I think Faddy's got a point about the VPower. It seems the Accord's ECU takes a little while to notice any subtle changes, such as different fuel types. My only prob is I only know of one Shell station that stocks V Power in the area. Still, probably worth the effort.

Always worth the effort Adam ;)

So far I have found VPower to be cost neutral, so as long as there is an ***umed benefit of cleaning agents, then happy days!

to be honest iv not had any better fuel acconamy with vp but the car runs much better.also there is a survey done by 5th gear that vpd and bpu puts out an extra 6 bhp compared to super market derv

Have monitored my fuel consumption since purchase of my 2004 ('04') CTDI Executive Tourer in February.

I have covered about 12,000 miles since then (car has now covered 148K) - a lot of motorway, but also a lot of mixed driving. Best MPG returned on a full tank was 50.8, worst has been 43.5 - all calculated by brimming the tank and clocking the mileage on the trip.

Got the 50.8 on a return journey from Norfolk to Dorset (so a good mix of motorway and non-motorway), cruising at an indicated 70mph (66/67mph on the sat nav) using cruise control where practical.

Return trip from Norwich to North Wales last week - cross country, only one junction of M6 on the way, about 50 miles of M6 on the way back - returned 48.8 without driving for economy, but not thrashing it either!

Overall, pretty happy with the economy for the size of car.

Ian

On my 06 tourer I was getting about 46mpg. However after a service (wheel alignment and 0w30 oil) Its steadily been going up and is currently reading 48.8 and thats on standard sainsburys diesel.

I think I will give V Power a go tho to see what difference that makes, with that and a remap Im hoping for some figures in the 50's. I have to admit I do find the car a little disappointing to drive at the moment, do they all suffer from a bit of turbo lag?

A little, but remember they're not sports cars and do weigh a fair bit. A remap will mitigate it a little, but you'll need to live in 3rd and 4th gear more if you want to play with the turbo... and that hammers your mpg.

It don't take much for your figures to plummet.

Im currently averaging around 58mpg per tank according to my trip computer. If i was a bit lighter with my right foot id get over 60. Thats a mix of mostly a & b roads with very little motorways. Im very impressed with it

Im currently averaging around 58mpg per tank according to my trip computer. If i was a bit lighter with my right foot id get over 60. Thats a mix of mostly a & b roads with very little motorways. Im very impressed with it

My trip computer shows around 52mpg for mostly town driving and when I do the maths it's nearer 45mpg - there seems to be quite a difference between the trip computer and the 'actual' mpg! So be aware!

Over the last 5000 miles mines averaged just under 46mpg calculated on actual duel used. The shed of a Peugeot which was a 1.6hdi couldn't do that.

Might have been a bit of a one-off, but Leeds and back, Preston and back, Grantham and back, and a bit of pootling around...............................49.67 mpg!!! And that's actual refilled fuel, and I wasn't really trying!!! Arf!!!

I wasn't very impressed with my fuel economy when i first got my hands on the car. Now i've put some fuel additive in and done a few more miles the economy seems to be steadily increasing. I've done 3000 miles in 4 weeks and now seem to be averaging 48-50 mpg though i really should keep track of it via a spreadsheet or something.

Best i've had so far is 52 mpg, though on my current tank of fuel i've done 400 miles and the needle is still on the halfway point which i'm quite pleased with.

Worst i've had, but the most impressive mpg figure to me is a 400 mile motorway trip at a constant 95 mph (Indicated only, honest officer!). Economy on that trip was 38 mpg.

I do motorway miles almost exclusively at the moment with very little town driving. I'm not sure why my economy is still going up - i added some fuel additive a few thousand miles ago which seems to have helped a bit and switched the air con off unless it's actually warm outside which seems to have made the biggest difference. I'm due a service next month including a new fuel filter which hopefully will aid economy a little as well

www.spritmonitor.de is pretty good for recording all your fuel costs it works out mpg etc and there is a mobile site for accessing from your phone.

400 miles to 1st half a tank is good going, i'm only getting 300 :(

What fuel additive did you use? Also what sort of speed are you cruising at on the motorways?

www.spritmonitor.de is pretty good for recording all your fuel costs it works out mpg etc and there is a mobile site for accessing from your phone.

400 miles to 1st half a tank is good going, i'm only getting 300 :(

What fuel additive did you use? Also what sort of speed are you cruising at on the motorways?

Just a bottle of Redex injector cleaner - it may have been coincidental with a step change in my driving habits but i think it's made a small difference. If i'm in no rush i now generally just stick to 70 mph now as i worked out the difference between 70 and 75 to be around 7 mpg! Switching off air-con seemed to liberate another 5 mpg.

The difference between 75 mph, air con on and 70 mph, air con off and some injector cleaner was 12 mpg! Both motorway journeys with CC on.

When i've got some time i'm going to clean the EGR and MAF sensor. There aren't any issues and the car drives smoothly and quietly, but i think after near enough 80,000 miles theres going to build quite a build up of ***** in there.

I was a bit bored this afternoon so i've just made my own spreadsheet for cumulative and between fill up economy calculations - it's nothing special but it'll do the job.