What's new

What sort of mpg do you all get on your diesels?

As I am getting around 36mpg on my tourer, I have a mixed bag of journey types, some motorway, a fair bit of city driving too. It is just reading around some people reckon they can get 600 miles from a tank!! Last one I managed about 420 :) I am driving carefully as well...

Hi mate- I get around 40-45 from mine. Mix of driving inc motorway and town driving. Never managed 600 miles though! 04 Tourer CTDI , 185k but the engine has done 120k...........

Hi. The vast majority of you guys seem to be getting decent mpg. Although I place this fact down to that fact that you are mostly on mainland UK roads, which have a surface as smooth as a baby's bottom compared to the roads I have here in Northern Ireland! They are narrow, winding and extremely poorly surfaced. I'm lining my wheels every 2 weeks (and they are way out each time).
The most I can manage out of my 2005 Accord 2.2 Diesel with 75K on it, proper bosch fuel filter fitted is 500 miles / tank (and I mean an empty tank, running on fumes). Works out about 44mpg. 90% of this is my commute to work, 65 mile round trip, extra urban. Suppose better than my wife managed in it, she never got more than 410 miles / tank

500miles on an accord diesel is very bad, considering the 2.4 can get upwards on 400.

but the conditions have a good bearing on what people get like you said, the guys getting 600+ miles on 2.2 diesels are mostly long runs across mainland uk, smooth ish roads, not too difficult to get 600+ miles on any modern diesel in such circumstances.

500miles on an accord diesel is very bad, considering the 2.4 can get upwards on 400.

but the conditions have a good bearing on what people get like you said, the guys getting 600+ miles on 2.2 diesels are mostly long runs across mainland uk, smooth ish roads, not too difficult to get 600+ miles on any modern diesel in such circumstances.
Yes. yes Eric we get it... 2.4 owners are heroic superstars with fast perfect cars, while diesel owners are scumbag losers with nasty unreliable cars.

I was getting 52-55mpg out of my 2007 model, or 500ish miles between fill-ups. I could probably get 550-600miles from a tank but I never let it get too near empty. That was until the clocks went back. Driving to work with the lights, heater, heated seats, rear demister, etc, on, seems to have shaved it down to an average of about 50mpg.

I did once get 63mpg by resetting the trip computer and then doing 30ish miles along a flat motorway in 6th gear with the cruise at 70mph. Completely artificial conditions... :D

With the price of fuel its hard to judge a price of a gallon these days i try to work out what i get from £20 each fill up and the results between petrol and diesel werent that diff ...
2.2idtec 115-125 miles ( heavy footed )
2.4 types 7th gen 90-100 miles
1.6 astra 85-95 ?? Wtf ? Car too heavy for engine ?
A5 3.0 tdi 95-105 i do not lie lol

:lol:

diesel accords are fine i am sure, dont expect stellar mpg around town or on short runs though, they only come into their own on long runs. (but this can be said of any modern diesel)

If i was a sales guru doing 700 miles a week i am pretty sure i would not be driving a 2.4 accord, just to clear things up. :p

When I first got my 7th gen diesel I kept a keen eye on the fuel consumption, and one thing I noticed was that the fuel economy isn't symmetrical for return journeys. For instance, I get 55mpg on a trip to Manchester but only 51mpg on the way back. Same speed, same traffic conditions.... I eventually realised that it's mainly downhill going, and uphill coming back. :blush:

If you 2.4 boys think you've got it bad with economy on short trips - my wife has a Mini John Cooper Works edition, and only does a couple of miles a day around town in it. It averages 14mpg. :eek:

Normally get 700 miles between fill ups which is 55 mpg. Best was 764 miles and 61 mpg

vtec is a screaming hyena, turbo boost in a diesel...

hmmm better refrain from tractor comparisons.

To be fair Eric, the VTEC on the K24 in our Accords is pretty lame. Cracking engine, but it's not all about the VTEC is it. It makes a nice sound, but the VTEC could be so much more. It's really still a compromise in favour of fuel economy :( .

Firstly, before we even talk VTEC, if the VTC's cam angle shift was 5 degrees or so more severe (which tends to kick in at around 3.5K depending on driving style), that mid range grunt (which is actually my favourite characteristic of the K24) would be even better. And then if VTEC was brought in at 4.5-5K and the redline raised to 8K, the engine would push out so much more power, it would simply be awesome.

Don't get me wrong, stock, there is still that nice little moment when the engine note shifts and the white lines on the road suddenly start whizzing by quicker, but as soon as it starts, you need to shift gears as you're at the redline and then you're out of VTEC and have to get up there all over again :huh: .

Personally, the idea of the new Civic Type-R with the VTEC & Turbo sounds simply sublime. I love Turbo and I love VTEC and not having to choose between them... what more could you ask for :lol: . It could be the car to put an end to all the B/S that's been going on for over 20 years in car circles between forced induction fans and Honda's VTEC fans. Why not have both, have VTEC and Turbo :ph34r: . I'm seriously considering the new CTR as a future car for me. Not until the second hand market has the right kind of cars/prices mind you ;) .

Anyway, that's enough of my off topic ramblings. Sorry :blush: .

Back on Topic, I get 0 MPG from Diesel as it's imaginary :rolleyes: ! The K24 delivers between 22-32MPG depending on my mood. Days like today, cold, sunny, had to work all morning (Saturday :mad: ) and pretty peed off generally, the car returned terrible MPG on the way home down the A22 :D . But I got home fairly quickly and a young lad in heavily modified Civic was trying to match my poor MPG all the way, but couldn't ;) .

My pre-facelift diesel gets average 39mpg a tank, round town, thats normal driving without worrying about the mpg (52ltrs - 430miles). My old 2.4 type s which I had from new, the best mpg ever achieved was 330miles on a run to Cornwall.

2005 iCDTi Exec Tourer 109K

So I've just come back from a 500ish round trip to Wales, mostly motorway but some country roads and a bit of urban too. Horrified to see my calculation of only 38mpg.

So reading around here I reckon improving that next time is all about:

1. Don't do more than 70mph - cruising at 60-70 on the motorway will increase efficiency quite a bit, because...
2. You'll be keeping the revs down to 1,500RPM or less - in fact around town and on A/B roads, keep it below 1,500 and change gear more often
3. Hard acceleration won't help
4. Servicing, fuel filter, the right oil, all that stuff is important too.

Anything else people can suggest?

And Fahad or anyone with experience of such things, would a remap help my efficiency? I'm not interested in going everywhere like a stabbed rat, I just want to spend less money on fuel!

Not sure about sallon models but definitely with the tourer (either fuel), check regularly that the rear brakes aren't binding.

Winter diesel isn't doing us any favours at the moment.

timmustoe said:
2005 iCDTi Exec Tourer 109K

So I've just come back from a 500ish round trip to Wales, mostly motorway but some country roads and a bit of urban too. Horrified to see my calculation of only 38mpg.

So reading around here I reckon improving that next time is all about:

1. Don't do more than 70mph - cruising at 60-70 on the motorway will increase efficiency quite a bit, because...
2. You'll be keeping the revs down to 1,500RPM or less - in fact around town and on A/B roads, keep it below 1,500 and change gear more often
3. Hard acceleration won't help
4. Servicing, fuel filter, the right oil, all that stuff is important too.

Anything else people can suggest?
tyre pressures and wheel alignment

edgeoftime said:
well done on getting it down to 38mpg, The more you burn the more you save. LOL
guess I have to learn how to drive it better.

John and Jon, what do you usually get on the motorway?

have you had your diesels remapped?

(sorry I understand its not your favourite subject! glad of any advice though... :) )

timmustoe said:

(sorry I understand its not your favourite subject! glad of any advice though... :) )

No mods, and average 500 miles overall, I have a very sympathetic right foot, which gets violent when on the M25!! now you know why I get good milage, it's no joke being parked up for hours. LOL

I usually get in the range 41 - 44 MPG (calculated)... I drive quite fast, but accelerate gently. Car is bog standard and I always use cheap fuel.

No one minds discussing remaps here, by the way. I think you may have us mixed up with some people on another forum!

just used up my 1st tank of juice in my 55 tourer CTDi light just came on at 477 miles going to fill up around 500 and then work out the mpg anything over 40 will do me :)

About 500 miles per tank using v power only. Mixture of motorway and inner city. Around 44 to 46mpg.

I do use my tourer as a shed to keep all my tools and car spares in, so that probably costs me a few MPG.

I'm guessing a saloon should be a little more economical than a tourer.

timmustoe said:

I have a remapped pre facelift (5 gears) diesel

I got 67 MPG on a 90 mile trip of which 80 miles was on the motorway at an indicated 60 mph

This was calculated MPG not off the trip computer. Quite impressed. Presumably getting 70 MPG at an indicated 60 mph

I am currently getting approx. 560 miles before the fuel light comes on
trip computer says average 52 mpg.
Running on standard fuel.
I do prefer v power diesel and the car seems to drive really nicely on it. Smoother throttle and noticeable response

Summer time saw an mpg reading of around 58 to 60 mpg. I guess the diesels are more economical in the summer time.

Car is a 6 speed diesel face lift totally standard.

I do find the uniroyals rainsports2 have decreased my mpg since putting them on. They seem to have a high rolling resistance

accord_n22 said:
I do find the uniroyals rainsports2 have decreased my mpg since putting them on. They seem to have a high rolling resistance
+1 on that, many people overlook the noticeable effect of tyre type and pressures