What's new

What sort of mpg do you all get on your diesels?

lads,
I do 500 miles with 56 ltr and avarage is 42 mpg
I thing its good becouse after remap I do like to put my foot down so often and it is 2.2 ltr diesel
My drive is so mixed with town and motorways.
With my last car (Avensis)I was doing 500 m with 50 ltr,but drive was nowhere near.
Now I having more fun

Hi everyone,
My car has been running about 43mpg over the last year while I've been doing a 105mile round trip to work. In my mind this is not good enough. The car has Fahad's great remap but I don't think that, on average, it benefits the fuel economy. It does make it really very nice to drive though.
I recently took off a couple of the EGR components to see how they were and found that there was a large amount of deposited material that was choking the passageway. I've cleand it up a bit poped it all back together fulled up the tank with VPD and I am just waiting to see the effect on the MPG, might take a while now as my drive to work is only 5 miles!
will post again soon, 60 miles in to the tank and its about the same, which might be good 'cos it's a nightmare driving through Huud's!

Hi everyone,
My car has been running about 43mpg over the last year while I've been doing a 105mile round trip to work. In my mind this is not good enough. The car has Fahad's great remap but I don't think that, on average, it benefits the fuel economy. It does make it really very nice to drive though.
I recently took off a couple of the EGR components to see how they were and found that there was a large amount of deposited material that was choking the passageway. I've cleand it up a bit poped it all back together fulled up the tank with VPD and I am just waiting to see the effect on the MPG, might take a while now as my drive to work is only 5 miles!
will post again soon, 60 miles in to the tank and its about the same, which might be good 'cos it's a nightmare driving through Huud's!
Which part of EGR did you clean? I tried to undo the top but couldnt get it ouf of the housing.
dan

I travel 70 miles round trip each day to work with an average weekly mileage of 450. 50% of which is motorways going faster than I should and 50% A roads/around town, my computer is reset when I top up each weekend and always averages around 53mpg at the end of each week.

I could easily get it up a couple of mpg if I wanted to keep it to 2000 rpm or less on the motorways

Hi Dan,
I stared with the easy bits.
There is a link pipe from the EGR cooler upto the intake manifold, that was a little sooty but OK. However inside the manifold there is a plenum type feature that was gunked up, then there is a butterfly valve block on the left of the manifold where the CAC air comes in.
I figured that the intake manifold is colder than the EGR cooler & this cools the exhaust gas more and allows it to deposit gunk.

70 miles now and the needle is just about to kiss the first line on the fuel gauge...

Ian - I normally see between 100 -120 miles before my needle hits the first marker on the gauge - I even had 140 miles once before it moved, I was driving ultra slow though.. 70 miles really is not much at all, even though it's a tourer. Something is amiss mate..

I only get about 60ish before I see the needle move from absolutely full as well. Recently I have been away and doing all motorway miles on this tank, all 70 using cruise control. I have about a fifth of a tank left and have covered 425 miles. So a bit better than normal but not amazing. I have checked my tyres. I am carrying a full size spare in the back under the boot cover but I wouldn't have thought it made all that much difference.

What are the usual suspects for poor fuel consumption that I can investigate?

Can all the tourer i-ctdi drivers post their mpg and fuel range here please... I'm wondering if this just what the tourer does compared to the saloon. If so, I never personally realised there was so much difference.

I get around 85-100 before niddle moves. From then on it just drops like a stone.
Thans for info Ian, will have another go at EGR.
Yesterday I noticed that on full throttle my honda smokes like hell. In third, from 30MPH to 80MPH on full power it leaves trail like a lorry.
I spoke to my local garage (they know a bit about diesels) about my low MPGs and smoke and this is what they said:

- first of all replace all filters, clean air intake pipes (oil??), put best oil you can in your engine.
- clean the EGR if possible. Clean inlet manifold as well. EGR might be busted even if theres no ECU error.
- replace the termostat, it may be faulty even if showing right temperature (they said if engine isnt operating in correct temp it will be running on reacher mixture thus burning more fuel and smoking more)
- check/clean/replace MAF sensor - carefull with that!!
- use better fuel, add some cleaning stuff to tank
- check the cam belt (I know our cars are chain driven), it might have shifted one notch

This is what I remember guys and I thing I will have a go at some of this points.
You can check my fuelings @spritmonitor below

Dan, that's mostly good advice - not sure on the timing one though..

Actually if I remember correctly it was Mav who was experiencing issues with the thermostat on his car. Can you take a picture of where your temp needle is when the car is running at optimum temperature please... this could actually be an underlying problem..

mine looks the same, perhaps its a bit higher? Will take a pic on monday. Dan

My journey's are usually fairly short and average around 52mpg. I've just had to make a couple of extremely tortuous trips to the east coast on very slow and traffic controlled roads, my average over 1200 miles gradually crept up to 58.9mpg. Even now a week later after having gone back to normal roads it's still at 58.2mpg. Really makes me think I can afford the higher price of V-Power Plus in one of these diesels.

Ezhik - are you calculating by the actual mileage and the amount put in the tank or do you have a facelift and are looking at the onboard computer?

I have a facelift. I do keep meaning to check the on board display with actual measured consumption, but haven't done yet. Do you think it's over optimistic? Maybe I should do the test next time I fill up and see how realistic it is. Hope I'm not disappointed!

On my trip round the UK last week (well the north) after 250 miles my computer was saying 65.2mpg on that tank. It is currently displaying about 59mpg. will fill up tonight and use my iphone app to calculate the actual MPG and report back :D

Mark, that needle looks just a tad bit lower than mine I think but I will need to check when I return to my car later.. Does the heater warm up quickly and to a good temperature on the high settings?

Sometimes it can be something as simple as a faulty thermostat..

The trip computers are notorious for being optimistic, always better to actually calculate. Fahad, I'll let you know about warming up, only ever owned the car when it had been warm :D

I know Mark. Mine is generally over by around 10mpg! scary really how far it is out. I wish theer was a way you could calibrate it!

I'll check manually next time I fill up, seems they are a bit on the optimistic side then. I know the 'miles left to empty' can be unrealistic, starts off high and gradually adjusts itself downwards, but that is getting its information from the potentiometer in the fuel tank, ie it's crude. I was hoping the measurement of fuel used against distance covered would be more accurate seeing as the ECU needs precise details regarding fuelling, but it seems the info fed into the mpg 'computer' isn't so accurate.

Here's a couple of snaps of my temp guage at operating temparature.

It should never be at the halfway mark, but neither should at or below the quarter mark.. It's hard to tell from these pictures but really it needs to be at around the one third mark.

19082010010.jpg

19082010011.jpg

That looks very similar to mine. Just filled up again and got 41.8 on this tank, long drive mostly 50 to 60. Definitely feel it should be more. I would appreciate some real calculations from other router owners i.e. Not trip computer values

I filled up at the beginning of the week to travel to my sisters, 270 miles later arrived and dropped car of at Honda Dealer for them to fix my tracking they balls up last time. mpg was 72 :)

Picked the car up 5 days later and its dropped to 50mpg :eek: I take it the person test driving it must have realised it had been mapped and took it for a 40 miles run out :ph34r: 40 miles to test the tracking?????

And to top it off they've ****ed the tracking up again :angry: getting it dnne elsewhere and sending them a strong letter

Anyway 72mpg on a run with remap...very happy :D

Lee, take it down to Paul at Drury Lane in Oldham - worth the trip, he'll get it right first time.

Impne - I take it you are using the inboard computer? Have you ever calculated the real mpg when you fill up?

That looks very similar to mine. Just filled up again and got 41.8 on this tank, long drive mostly 50 to 60. Definitely feel it should be more. I would appreciate some real calculations from other router owners i.e. Not trip computer values

Hi Mark,

I have been doing the calculations using an app on my iphone and my average over the last 4,644 miles has been 39.48mpg. Mostly I drive 10 miles on a A-road and 12 miles motorway to work so average approx 44 miles a day and I dont thrash it about either. on the last tank I managed to get 43.2 mpg, but this involved a trip from Loughborough-Lancaster-Harrogate-Scarborough-Doncaster-Loughborough, so all fairly long trips and after this trip before i filled up my computer said I was averaging 58.6mpg... so only just over 16mpg out! Ouch. these Onboard computers are rubbish.

That sounds like mine. I am beginning to think all these astronomical figures people are quoting are from the dodgy computers...

More than likely! although on the pre-facelift it doesnt have a computer so they must be calculating theirs.

Yes but the really high figures are all from facelifts I think. As far as I can tell so far from re-reading through all the tourer owners who are actually calculating rather than relying on computers are actually getting something like 42mpg....

My average is a calculated 46mpg. I have been doing quite a few trips to Edinburgh from Preston recently and chuggin along at a nice relaxing 70mph on cruise gets me 56 on the trip computer. I've never been able to keep that going to the end of the tank though because that A701 really ruins the economy!