What's new

What's the most miles you've done on a tank?

Jamie91

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 iCDTI Saloon
Just wondering what people's personal bests on mileage out of an Accord tank are.

I've only had my CDTI a couple of weeks now. Best has been 650 miles on a tank, can anyone top 800 ?

383.8. I always refuel before the light comes on though, and I don't think I've ever put in more than 50 litres.

650 is very decent. I manage 550 from a tank on my 04 ctdi (138k). It's been the same for 4 years now....

450 from the 2.4. Seriously dull driving, but it's doable.

Do people get more miles with diesel post-facelift six speed box than the pre-facelift five speed box? Or is there no difference.

On my old pre-facelift saloon diesel the most I got, was just over 500 miles. How are people getting to 600?

I have a pre-face lift 5 speed and can easily get 500 with mainly town driving.
on motorway & town I get 650.

with the 6 speed box it is better on motorway due to lower rpm at given speed.... IIRC its about 300-400 rpm less on the 6 speed comparing to the 5 speed

most in recent history is 640 miles, returning 56.6mpg. that was in june this year so aircon would have been always on :)

I think i've got close to the 750 miles mark but that was majority motorway at 70 with cruise control. Mostly get around the 550-600 miles on a tank but thats being sensible

Wow. I get 400ish around town and 520 on motorway being 90% sensible... Even then, the 10% naughtiness isn't that bad. I feel jealous reading you lots' figures :( lol

Last weekend, mostly motorway, 406 miles on a tank with 2 passengers for most of the journey, cruise control set to 75mph, and with a few higher speed overtakes ;)
2.0l petrol.

I have gotten higher on a run to the Giants Causeway a couple of years back, but I can't remember exactly how much more :rolleyes:

That's real good. Is yours the 6 speed model? I've been doing about 65 mph mostly and getting 650 miles

I think i've got close to the 750 miles mark but that was majority motorway at 70 with cruise control. Mostly get around the 550-600 miles on a tank but thats being sensible

I once got 400 from my 2.4 Tourer, but that included a good long motorway run. My normal commute is in London so i'm 1st>2nd stop all day. This usually returns about 300-310 before the warning light comes on :(

Best I've seen is 530 miles in my diesel tourer, that was mostly motorway miles at 80-85ish. It's gone down a bit since fitting 18" alloys though, best now is a shade over 500.

Anyone know if using the cruise control would result in better or worse MPG on the motorway?

I'd have thought the cruise would yield better MPG as it keeps things so constant. However, I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Well I've got a couple of trips down to Corwall from South Wales coming up so I might try one journey with no cruise control and the other with it and see if there's any difference.

I think being absolutely smooth with your feet would yield better results that Cruise Control but in the real world you're not going to be able to drive smoothly enough. You also have to have the will power not to hoof it when the roads clears up :unsure:

Hello,

I've recently travelled from Birmingham to Cornwall (254 miles) on half a tank (mine's a 2007 2.4 Type-S saloon). I managed that driving at around 60-70mph all the way (ranging from 35 - 44 mpg) with no A/C, coasting on the down hills and 'feathering' the throttle. Also, it was mostly motorway miles and the A30. Coming back home was more of a 'spirited' drive but, surprisingly, didn't consume much over half a tank (just two clicks over the halfway mark). Not very scientific I'm afraid, but I'd say I got about 480-490 miles out of the tank for the round trip. Was tedious driving out (got overtaken by a caravan), but brisk on the return (moved over ever so politely for an Audi V10 and a VW R32).

Kind Regards,
Agrippa.

Hello,

Apologies if you see a previous reply ... I did a Birmingham to Cornwall round-trip recently. Reckon I did a full tank to 480 - 490 miles. Boring outbound, brisk inbound.

Kind Regards,
Agrippa.

625 miles, 52.8 litres Came to 53.8 MPG

Five speed diesel model, driven at about 64 mph on cruise control for half the mileage

Remainder of miles were mostly country roads, no heavy traffic driven sensibly.

Did get stuck in a 30 min jam where I moved 1 mile though.... I wonder how much that dented my MPG by

I've never got more than 500 from a full tank of diesel (running down the side of car when filling). Until I put a genuine Bosch diesel filter in I was getting 450 miles to a tank.
How do people get so much driving out of their tanks? I Don't drive around towns and it is an hours commute to work on country roads?!

Anticipating the road ahead is important. I will generally coast my way to a corner, so that I can take it without using the brakes, rather than accelerating towards it. Make full use of your friend gravity. I will do a conservative 65 mph on the motorway, and I do my best not to go above 2.5k rpm.

Until 4 weeks ago I drove a Peugeot 306 1.4 petrol. It was rated at 42 MPG, but I managed to coax mid 50's regularly and once got 59 MPG.

I drive the accord the same as I drove the Peugeot, but I'm only hitting the manufacturers rated figure (53 MPG), as opposed to exceeding it by 10 MPG+ regularly as with my Peugeot.

I've never got more than 500 from a full tank of diesel (running down the side of car when filling). Until I put a genuine Bosch diesel filter in I was getting 450 miles to a tank.
How do people get so much driving out of their tanks? I Don't drive around towns and it is an hours commute to work on country roads?!

I picked up my new six speed diesel at the weekend. Filled the tank Sunday evening, and the computer said the range was 500 miles. I've since done 70 miles, about half on the motorway, the rest around town. The fuel gauge is still on full, and the computer now says I have a range of 580 miles.

I picked up my new six speed diesel at the weekend. Filled the tank Sunday evening, and the computer said the range was 500 miles. I've since done 70 miles, about half on the motorway, the rest around town. The fuel gauge is still on full, and the computer now says I have a range of 580 miles.

:lol: I love trip computers! I don't have one, but enjoy playing mind games with them when I get courtesy cars. They're always pretty vague. I've found the Accord is very non-linear with its fuel gauge (in fact every Honda I've driven). I.e. it stays on full for 70-100 miles and then starts shifting, gradually getting through the gauge quicker and quicker. I'm normally at 250 miles on the halfway point of my petrol gauge. By the end of the tank I've done between 350 and 400. So take the trip computer and petrol gauge with a pinch. Once you've done a few tanks of various driving styles, you'll learn it and know better what your car's doing.