What's new

Where should the engine temp gague rest when car reachs correct temperture ?

Honest

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda accord
Hello All.

Not sure if this question has been posted in the past, I certainly could not find it.

I have 2.0 SE 6th Gen Accord. I would like to know from others where the correct resting point of the engine coolant temp gauge is on this car ? As a few weeks ago when the outside temperature was below 3 degrees, the car temp gauge would take almost 20mins to reach its final resting pointing.

My car seems to be drinking a lot fuel. Only get about 300miles from a full tank and this includes motorway driving. Therefore, I am not sure if my thermostat is stuck open? As on most other cars the temp gauge usually rest half way between cold and hot once the car has reached idle running temp.

http://postimg.org/image/515vmv5yh/

Also can other 2.0 SE 6th Gen Accord confirm if there engine is idling at the same place as mine?

It's common in Honda cars if the temp needle is just below half way. My 2005 Accord does that. And about 800 rpm seems a normal engine idling too. But let's see if anyone with a 6th gen can reply.

Just below half way for me too.

Same place on mine too. I actually replaced the thermostat on mine last year as I was doing a coolant change anyway. There was no problems with the gauges, it had been in there from day 1 so just saw it as a serviceable item (10yrs+ ;) ) and bought it OEM from Holdcroft Honda for around £20.

If your fuel economy is low (and its not great on the 6th gen anyway) check your tyre pressures and that you have no binding brakes particularly on the rear. Maybe a service due soon??

My temp sits at the same place as on the pic, gets there in between 5-10 minutes

And as mentioned the 6th gen's fuel economy is poor at best, especially the 2 litre

My idle sits slightly lower than in the pic at the mark below 1k

your thermostat could have failed in the open position. would explain ***** MPG and taking ages to heat up.
buy a new one (dont get a low temp "racing stat") or get investigative and heat yours in a pan of water until it opens whilst using a thermometer :)

Mine is a 1.8.
The temperature gauge sits in the same position and the idle speed is abot 750/800RPM, so I guess it's ok.

As for taking so long to heat, even with negative temperatures, that is way too much. If mine sleep outside, with temperatures of about 6/7º, it takes about 5 minutes to reach that temperature.

Replace the thermostat with Honda one, it's not expensive, about 25/30€. I replaced mine about one year ago when the temperature got really high, well over the mid point, almost at 3/4.
I made a small guide which you can use, it's quite easy:
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/9796-howto-thermostat-replacing/

As others - I'm in a 6th gen exec 2.0

My gauge sits a little lower than yours, but only takes a few minutes to get there.

As for mileage - welcome to the club! I've once got 400 out of a full tank.........

Actually I would replace both thermostat and coolant temp sensor. Both are cheap and easy to fit. Bear in mind the ECU makes fuelling decisions based on engine operating temperature, so if the coolant sensor is sending a bad signal, this will make a difference to economy.

Do your heaters warm up well? Have you actually checked the thermostat? Check the supply and return pipes to see if they are getting hot as they should.

haha my 2.0i SE sucks on fuel too so don't worry! I think I got 350-380 miles to a full tank of v-power once motorway driving up north. around town a tenner on 95 octane gets me pfft 17-36miles if i'm lucky lol. badly could do with a service though. as for the temp guage it sits just under half way as with both of my d series engined civics (eg/ek) so nothing to worry about :) also warms up within 5-10mins which is nice :)