What's new

Windows steaming up a lot

tbourner

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Abarth 595
It seems to be since I had the accident and front wing replaced - missus reckons it's noisier on the motorway as well. I've fondled the mats but can't feel any damp. Could be a coincidence of course.

I've tried leaving the a/c off and just use the heater, it makes it a bit better doing this not as long to wait and only a bit of misting. Then this morning I get the same problem as here:
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/12089-steamy-windows/
Completely clear window, I pull away and about 100 yards down the road I almost can't see!!

Could it be to do with this:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060731213539AAmdPbt
i.e.: I have moisture in my system somewhere.
It has smelt a bit musty the last couple of days as well. What do we think about running the a/c on full and spraying anti-bac into the bottom of the windscreen (outside)?

Hmm, interesting. Maybe it's a seal or something.

Or was it left standing somewhere damp for a couple days after the smash? If so, it might be worth trying changing the pollen filter, just in case.

Trev when the front wing was replaced they haven't damaged your heater matrix by any chance.
Look to see if your loosing coolant to eliminate this.

There's no coolant loss at all, all heaters and air con work as they should as far as I can tell.

Yesterday evening when I got in after work the screen was WET inside! I had to use my chamois sponge thing to wipe the inside, same thing this morning. This morning it had the musty smell again as well.

No idea what to do next other than keep a sponge handy and drive everywhere with the windows open.

I renewed the pollen filter, did not notice any difference, but the other day it was so bad I had to use the squeegee on the inside of the screen, and then used a wet wipe to finish off, since then the screen had been fine so maybe as someone else mentioned it was dirt causing the problem????

I too have seen my car suffer from this recently. The pollen filter was replaced yesterday, so let's see if this cheap alternative makes any difference. Sometimes the sudden drop in temperature over night can cause this as well as I have found.

Have you tried this? select the windscreen blower switch, close the side vents, then go manual on a.c and select fan 5, the wind will knock you off your seat.

I did try cleaning the screen but it didn't seem to help. Might try the pollen filter but I don't hold out much hope. It's never been this bad in the whole time I've had the car so somethings gone wrong!

If it's that wet I would be having a good look at the carpets. If they feel dry then you really need to check the sound deadening underneath them.

mine has wet driver carpet, which is causing a misty screen until the car warms up, just have no idea where the water is coming in

i get the same issues with the steaming up. i start the car and let it demist which works fine then drive up the road and boom... i cant see a thing!!! i have a cabin filter thats less than 6 months old, ac gas was recharged last year, carpets are bone dry and last summer i used one of those anti bac spray can things..... once its finally clear for the second time it stays clear.

have a leak in our tourer , watering getting in and down towards and in the relay and fuse box.
we think the screen is the problem but thats being replaced at the weekend.

carpet on drivers side is wet from the leak ,and get alot of condensation due to the leak and the wet carpet. Takes ages to clear

first attempted fix of the water coming in the car from where i thought it was coming from , then while was out working, i left a de humidifer in the car in the works yard
worked a treat till the water came back in :( so will be repeating the process once new screen is fitted :)

So there's no actual fix for this issue?
The windscreen is steamy only for less than a minute and the heater won't even start to blow warm air by the time the steam disappears.

I found that keeping the aircon on all the time helps in damp weather. I think that the reason it's called "climate control" (rather than air conditioning) is because it pulls the moisture out of the air. With the aircon on and the temperature set to hi you can still hear the compressor pulling in and out. On the diesel car, it might take longer in cold damp conditions (because the engine takes longer to warm up).

As Brian said this helps a lot in wet damp weather.
But the mistake most people make is when you switch the auto function back off.
This will turn the AC back off and your putting the moister you have pulled from the car straight back again creating steamy windows.

noiser and damp does sound like air in cabin causing moisture , get it back to the repairer and get them to check seal on wing if ins complain about it , we dont complain enough in this country ..re shoddy workmanship.