What's new

wipers wont stop once started

Blue Guru

JDM Oz
Reaction score
Car
CL9 Accord Type S
My sister's just told me her wipers wont go off. If they're off when you start the car then you're alright, but as soon as you pull the stalk for a quick wash/wipe, or even switch to any of the wiper speeds, they wont stop! Any ideas...? I'll not get a chance to look at it till the weekend, but im not too leccy minded. Possible faulty relay...?

I was thinking the same Oz a faulty relay.Im not sure wear it is but you may here it clicking in and out to find it.

strange one that i wouldn't say relay think if that was stuck it'd be stuck all the time I would say the park bit in the motor maybe shorting out and constantly giving it a feed

could be coz she says even if she turns the wiper switch off they dont stop. They continue to wipe at normal full sweep mode, 1 below the rapid sweep. If she turns the switch off, then turns the car off and restarts the engine, then they're off. But again, as soon as you try a stalk pull wash/wipe or wiper speed switch they wont go off again....

I've never heard of anythin like this before. Had a works combo corsa van that never used to work no matter what you did with the switch, i had to get out and physically pull the wipers to get them goin once, lol!

Oz, my bet is the relay, see if it's the same as any of the other relay's (many of them are the same) and do a swap ;)

Check this tread on a similar problem with a VW Golf!

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/232550.aspx

I would say it's either the relay or the stalk itself. Similar thing happened on my mum's old K11 Micra and I replaced the relay.. but the fault was with the stalk. On that car the stalk and relay worked in tandem to control the circuitry.

Agreed with most here, Stalk or relay, pick the cheapest and start from there. Try taking the relay out and then try the switch but i'm ***uming it wont make a full circuit so will not have a full affect.

I doubt its mechnaical, more to do with switch or relay. You may be able to use a multimeter to test the switch but not sure what you are looking for

cheers lads, i'll have a wee gander the morra when the car's here

hi im having this problem to, i haven't had time to look into this yet so have just been avioding the spray wipe switch, its odd becaues it doesnt happen on any of the other 3 funcsions, if you had any look in fixing/finding what it wasn't/was post it up please :p

Hi there, I'm having this issue too. Pull stalk and it delivers water to windscreen but no wiper. Push down on the stalk for quick wipe and it does that, however if you rotate the stalk switch to turn the wipers on they stay on all the time and cant turn them off unless you turn off the ignition. Very annoying!

Hi everyone - a little help if I could have it would be great - i'm trying to find the relay controlling the wipers in relation to this issue but can't see it marked up in the owners manual or on the fusebox lists!?!

Any help would be appreciated - Wipers still not stopping......

Hi everyone - a little help if I could have it would be great - i'm trying to find the relay controlling the wipers in relation to this issue but can't see it marked up in the owners manual or on the fusebox lists!?!

Any help would be appreciated - Wipers still not stopping......

Hope this helps:

wipers.jpg

Will it need reversing for correct-hand-drive?

Great, thanks for that Dave! It would appear that the relay is underneath the fuse box under the bonnet as opposed to inside it - am I correct in ***uming this?

Great, thanks for that Dave! It would appear that the relay is underneath the fuse box under the bonnet as opposed to inside it - am I correct in ***uming this?

I think it is within that region mate, yes. Would go and check for you but it is peeing down out there!

Hi all, Just had her to my local Garage and upon examination of the system it would appear to have been a dodgy motor - Common apparently when uncaring owners start their wipers with them iced to the windscreen in the winter. Ordered replacement from good old e b a y and now good as new. Thanks for all the help!