What's new

Worrying problem, 2004 Accord

proof313

Members
Reaction score
Car
2004 iCTDI tourer
Hey guys,
While driving i floored it,i heard noise, like rocks hitting the fender (could really be rocks and not related), and thend the oil light went on. I immediately shut the engine off, pulled over and opened the bonnet, no burning smell, no smoke and everything looked clean. Walked around the car and noticed little trail of oil to the right in the back. When i looked under, there was a lake of oil already formed, which evolved into ocean... The poor thing was pouring oil for about 20-25 minutes until the tow truck arrived, and then a bit more when i got it home. No other noises were heard. Front and back of the engine are looking clean. What could be the problem and what is the worst that could have happened :( ? 2004 Accord ictdi, ~120k.

Thank you!

Oh dear. Welcome to the Forum. Could possibly be a blown turbo? Search the forum. I forget who right now, but someone just had a blown turbo and it spewed oil all over the place and left loads of shards of metal in the intake. Thankfully nothing found its way into the block. It's all sorted now, I think with a reconditioned or possibly new Turbo. Anyway, have a look around, see what you turn up. The Diesel experts will be along shortly no doubt.

Snapped chain and blown conrod shattering crankcase..

So... There is a hole in the oil pan about 0.5x1 cm right below the oil pump chain which is not spinnig at all and is possibly snapped? I thought it could be the turbo too since the car dint'd have power but it looks clean. How much could it hurt guys?

You may get away with 'just' getting the chains replaced (which is a big job, so therefore expensive, maybe £1k), so long as you stopped the engine reasonably soon after loss of oil pressure. It sounds like the oil chain snapping didn't also snap the timing chain, which is key to survival!