What's new

Would you buy in this situation?

gerard_finn200

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 Accord i-CTDi
Just want to get some opinions on what you'd do in this situation... I've managed to find a little gem in the form of a diesel Accord exec with only 40k miles and a full Honda service history. The VSA module has been replaced and all the history has been verified by the dealer. The car is in mint condition inside but the paint on the outside (red) is fading. All this and it's a 2005 model.

The downside.... It's out of warranty which will mean I'd have to pay up for the chain or manifold issue if it came up. The honda dealer has said the manifold would be going if not gone by now if it was going to and even if it does, the manifold isn't a major expense to buy.

The chain doesn't appear to be noisy or rattling and with a full history and correct oil it should not cause any issue for a long time. I was talking to Honda here in Ireland and the service agent told me the same.

Any thoughts or opinions on what I should do?

stay away from diesel...you've got your answers by how expensive could be if something goes wrong....
the diesel is rentable for cars and vans who make at least 200k mile up, because after this mileage you recover the repairs through profit...and fuel price, if you are lucky

I doubt many would agree with that statement of having to cover 200k+. I drive 20k miles a year, and comparing the petrol and diesel accord I'd save about 1300 euros a year running a diesel model. I plan to hold onto this car for two years anyway so that's over 2500. Quite a big saving and would definitely warrant buying a diesel.

It's very tempting, I've never seen a genuine car in that condition. Mechanically it should be fine for 3-4 years but exterior wise... It's a different story!

Eric have you seen the tax rate on a K24 over here in Ireland? haha not cheap to keep anything over 2.0 in this country, there more K20A euro r's over here than K24's due to it being cheaper to run lol but that saying k24's go for nothing over here if you find 1 that is

and to answer your question Gerard, my car has 144,000 miles on the clock and it is in mint condition, runs like a dream and the only costs are wearing parts which will have to be done on a car with 40,000 miles on it anyway, my car has everything done under warranty so i dont have to worry about the manifold or chain, you would be better off to keep an eye out for something else would be what i would do :)

I am from Kerry so know the tax situation, its not just k24s that are cheap in Ireland, am sure you could get a SL55 AMG or other barges for tuppence too thesedays.

I have not seen any K24s up in Scotland and have been here over 2 years so they are indeed rare.

As for that Accord I would look elsewhere tbh. The exterior and milage/interior don't match up

walk away

Gerard how bad is the fade, could it be machined buffed at all?

tbh doesnt really look much, only certain cars pull it off.

a 7th gen accord in red doesnt really get the testosterone going.

black, silver, blue i think are better in metallics.

I love red. My first car was red, my Dad's Volvo was Red, I think the 7th gen looks amazing in Red. It's just a shame red cars all pink after 10 years and need respraying. I'd happily own one though, pinking or not.

Yap, exactly agree with Steve! I have red accord. Lol, recently bought a red scooby as well, red car is good, but shame the paint fade.

40k on the clock and a full Honda service history? It depends on the price but I'd probably be very interested in a car like that if I was in the market.

Very carefully check it though and convince yourself that it really has only done 40k and that it really is the same car that the service history book belongs to.