What's new

Yet another with Brake Woes....

Stevearcade

TA Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2003 Accord CM2
Get to work this morning, get out the car and think, wow, someone's got a problem. Then I realise it's me :( . My right rear is too hot to touch and smells terrible. Finally, the curse of the seizing rear brakes has caught up with me. I reach for my phone to call the Mrs to have a rant, and then Honda, and then RAC. Where's my phone...? On the coffee table at home :angry: .

Anyway, I rush off to teach my first lesson of the day, knowing I have a free period the next. Some phone calls later and the RAC are on their way, it's booked into Honda who keep the parts in stock as it's such a common fault. They have a courtesy car for me too. So fingers crossed by this evening, I should be back on the road and all sorted.

I'll keep you posted.

RAC's been and gone. Nothing they can do. The car will need to go an the truck and taken to Honda in Bexhill. So I'm just waiting for the truck. Should be here in about 20 minutes. Now I'm just worrying about the impending cost. The guy reckons the disc is beyond salvaging. So that's a new set of discs and brake pads wasted and yet more money to put on the bill. I'm pretty gutted about all this. When the car's working, she's a really beauty, when she's not working, she's can be pretty expensive.

Bad luck bud. Hopefully they'll check the hoses as well as the callipers.

Is that what Honda say it needs, discs and pads?

Nothing about calipers or brake pipes?

Have you had a good look at the slider ie taken the caliper off and carrier to examine properly. IME people inc dealer often use the wrong grease for the sliders and this can cause issues like a sticking caliper. The oem pads for the rear now come with a nice little sachet of grease for the sliders which is good stuff.

I wondered what that was :lol:

I wondered what that was :lol:
I hate to think what you used it for :rolleyes:
Agree with Andy these rear callipers and sliders need to be spotless and greased or your asking for problems.

Well spent much of the afternoon racing around in a courtesy car (Jazz - quite fun to be honest) but the upshot wasn't as depressing as I first thought.

I'd caught it early enough before the pads and discs were damaged. So a big thumbs up to being prepared and knowing what to expect with regards to common faults. Couldn't have done that without TA, cheers guys :) .

Callipers were fine, it was just the pistons and seals. All cleaned and broken/faulty parts replaced. £193.93. Could have been much worse though. This happened to a mate of mine and it ruined his disc so he needed new discs and pads. I only replaced my discs and pads a couple months back so was dreading having to pay for that all over again so soon.

Investigated the brake on the other side, it's not urgent but I'm going to get that done soon. If they had the parts in stock, I'd have had them do both sides done today just to be safe, but they only had the parts for one brake unit. Still it's one to add to the growing to-do list I've got for the car.

So in all, I'm not too cut up about it. I was expecting the worst and pleasantly surprised the car had stood up to such brutal heat and come out unscathed.

I got them to look at my roll bars as I've felt some knocking going over bumps. Turns out all my bushings and bar lincs have play in them :lol: . No wonder I've been rolling like a Robin Reliant round tight corners. So next on my list is getting the other brake and the roll bars sorted.

After that it's the off-side headlamp replacement and waiting for the day when my VSA warning light can't be reset with a simple turn off/on of the engine :rolleyes: .

Anyway, thanks for listening to me ramble.

:)

Good result Steven im glad it wasn't to expensive :)

Price up a re-con caliper for the otherside I got mine for under just under £50 and it really is an easy job to change or get an independant to change it for you if your not too sure on it.

Dave do you remember the name of the place it came from and was it was the same make as OEM? Thanks.

Always seems to be the rear OS on the tourers.. I thought it was down to a perishing brake pipe?

That price doesn't seem too bad. I would of fixed it myself but when you are in that situation then sometimes the garage is the only option.

I got it from my local motorfactors, it is a nissan/nissin or whatever it says on caliper, same as the one I took off. I was going to buy new piston and seals and do mine but didn't see the point of messing about when there that cheap.

I think big red do a pair on ebay for just over £100.

I was down at Big Red yesterday good bunch of people and do a good job for a reasonable price. A word of warning with regards the polymer coating the colours are not nice and shinny they are really flat. They look good but dont expect bling as the focus is on protection as its the same coating used for aviation applications.