Reaction score
Car
Accord Sport+
Hi.
Can owners say what MPG on 2.4 has got:
- city
- 50% city/50% motorway
- motorway

Because I'm between 2.2 diesel and 2.4 petrol (both manual)
I had test drive 2.2 type S (180bhp) and in my opinion that car is slow but MPG is impressive.
I saw other subject about 2.2 MPG.
Thanks

190bhp remapped accord 8th gen

45-48
55-63

For you to make a decission I'd look at your mileage and your driving style. Petrol is going to be a lot better for hard core driving. The diesel is more of a GT cruiser that I found quick enough and I enjoyed how quiet the car was as I over took people.

Just test drive both and see what you think.

I've gone from a manual idtec accord to a 2.0L petrol auto crv and it will cost me about £900 a year more to run.

With this talk of petrol v diesel the truth is you can drive the diesel quicker for longer. You may get the 2.4 to do 40-45 mpg but at slower speeds like 60mph. The diesel I got 63mpg at 70mph and 58 at 80. I've had to add 10 mins to my journey to work since going to petrol but I don't mind that. I just sit in the left lane admiring my creme leather interior now. Lol.

Both engines are great but diesel is suited to 5-6th gear cruising. If your start stopping a lot go petrol.

taryfa said:
Hi.
Can owners say what MPG on 2.4 has got:
- city
- 50% city/50% motorway
- motorway

Because I'm between 2.2 diesel and 2.4 petrol (both manual)
I had test drive 2.2 type S (180bhp) and in my opinion that car is slow but MPG is impressive.
I saw other subject about 2.2 MPG.
Thanks
Hi there,

I have had both the 2.0 and currently own the 2.4, both manual. First to answer your questions:

city - about 25
50/50 - 30
motorway - 40+

I am actually thoroughly impressed by this, the 2.4 is a beast and when pushed, its a real power house. Mid range pull (3-4k) can allow you to overtake safely in more or less any situation.

Personally i would not touch a diesel, this goes for any make, not just Honda (even with DPF deletion) as i believe you simply cant keep diesel clean. You either make the filtering system around it dirty or make the world around the car dirty, either way, its dirty.

The 2.4 manual is hard to find, i was lucky to have found mine.

Good luck in your choosing.

Thanks all for reply.
I think diesel is good because of mpg consumption but is somethong will go wrong will cost a lot. Petrol will be better option for me - nothing to be wrong or can be broke and k24 is one of the best enginges honda ever make.
I do annual miles up to 10k (no more then that)
I use car only to drive to work (12.5 miles one way) and sometimes for shoping.

I have a 2.4i Accord Tourer with automatic gearbox and with 50% city / 50% highway I get around 25mpg uk. I have a tool I've developed myself to track this:
http://www.carspending.com/en/vehicles/5734-honda-accord-ex-tourer

Make sure to change to UK locale. Purely on highway with around 120km/h the consumption is around 30-35 mpg, city with lots of a traffic gets as low as 18 mpg. This is HUGE difference compared to what I got on my 7th gen diesel (remapped from F6HAD) - pre/post remap it was pretty much around 35 mpg city and 50 highway but the car was manual:
http://www.carspending.com/en/vehicles/1-honda-accord-i-ctdi-executive

I must say the 8th gen is quite heavy and especially with automatic consumption is less than ideal. If you buy relatively new 8th gen, proven under 80-100k miles, the diesel is well worth it. After that, depending on the previous owner(s) maintenance, quite a few expensive issues come up.

Interesting economy figures there.. The city driving is nearly 50% lower mpg it seems.

If you can find one, the IDtec auto is a nice compromise with economy and smooth easy driving performance and comfort. They tune very well too.

City 18mpg? Not good.
I'll drive 85% motorway and 15% city.
I found one nice 2.4 tourer manual with 34k miles on the clock full honda service history.
Hope will be fine and nothing wrong with car.

Any more owners of 2.4?

The money you save with diesel will cover the costs if anything goes wrong with it. Use a fuel calc to work it out to see how much you'd save.

If I was on the motorway for more than the 2 junctions I currently am, I'd get a diesel again. I only went petrol as the auto diesel was meant to be about the same mpg. Manual petrol v manual diesel there seems to be a bigger difference.

Racy Jace i've got 12 miles to work (85% motorway and 15% city) one way and this same to back= 24 miles per day x 5 working days= 120 miles a week + 30 miles visit friends or shopping (Saturday and Sunday)= 150 miles a week x 52 weeks a year = 7800 miles a year + trip to Euope one a year (2000 miles together)...
Ok lets take up to 10000 miles together.
Is it worth tak a diesel for that?
I think when i'll drive to work (12 miles) engine will not warm up as should and all the time will be take more fuel because cold engine (not heated to a suitable temperature).
I can be wrong.

With that mileage profile a petrol is probably better

I did 8k a year the one year and my car was fine but that was down to the type of journey. The engine was nice and toasty after 10 mins. I then had another 25 mins of constant 60mph which kept my DPF clean.

If you've any doubts though go petrol.

taryfa said:
I think when i'll drive to work (12 miles) engine will not warm up as should and all the time will be take more fuel because cold engine (not heated to a suitable temperature).
I can be wrong.
Well, the cold engine consumes more fuel compared to the same engine - heated to a suitable temperature. But the reason the diesel warms up very slowly is because it's so energy efficient - it wastes much less energy as heat. So even if the diesel would be working in sub-optimal conditions on most of your way to work, it will still have twice as good MPG.

But given you don't drive that much and you drive on short city trips, I'd go with the gasoline option. The diesel is more efficient but this has a disadvantage - it warms up so slowly, that the car is not well heated for the first 10-15 minutes of your trip. With the gasoline, within few minutes it's already warm and comfy. In Bulgaria (where I live) the winters can be harsh, winter is constantly sub-zero temperatures, falling down as low as -15/-20 at moments. And my diesel Honda never got to warm up and heat me well when driving in city traffic. It was terribly cold and unpleasant. If you have seat heating it might be a lot better though.

Racy Jace said:
The engine was nice and toasty after 10 mins.
ddinchev said:
... the car is not well heated for the first 10-15 minutes of your trip.
I drive that 12 miles in 25 minutes total (with traffic because all carriageway is rebuild for couple months and max speed is 40mph)
When they will open carriageway that time will drop to max 10-15min (all trip engine will be cold and i don't want even think about DPF - month or 2 and blocked)

If i will start do bigger trips there are another way to save some money - LPG :D

Question from another barrel (because I do not want to post a new topic specifically):
2.4 Ex has on front calipers two pistons (pushers) or one piston ??
I heard Type S has got 2 pistons but what about 2.4 ?
Asking cos i heard brakes on 8th Gen are ... not good as on 7th Gen

taryfa said:
If i will start do bigger trips there are another way to save some money - LPG :D

Question from another barrel (because I do not want to post a new topic specifically):2.4 Ex has on front calipers two pistons (pushers) or one piston ??
I heard Type S has got 2 pistons but what about 2.4 ?
Asking cos i heard brakes on 8th Gen are ... not good as on 7th Gen
8th gen 2.4 has indeed got twin piston callipers same as type s diesel.
The brakes on my 8th gen are far better than my old 7 gen

I can confirm that. The brakes on 8th gen 2.4i are far better and HUGE. On 7th gen diesel you could go with 16" rims (I used 16" rims for the winter tires). WIth 8th gen you have to go with 17" or bigger rims and I had a set of 17" rims from a Civic 8th gen that I used on my Accord 7th but they wouldn't fit without 3mm flanges on the 8th gen.

The big brakes are default on the EX/TypeS version and lower trim levels (like Elegance/Lifestyle editions) don't offer 2.4i engine.

Finally i decided.
Thats my beauty:
5044271877afe3da113da5b931cbf1de24623f4865feffc17653f55260c090260d4fb8b4.jpg

2.4 Ex 6 manual gears with some extras :) (like front GT lips, sides,Modulo grille, Mugen gear knob and much much more)

I drove for her 200 miles to pick her up and 200 miles back.
At this distance took 36.5 MPG - Nice :)
Thanks all for nice help

We have a late 2008 2.4 Ex auto in the same colour as yours. It only does about 8K a year so on ~60K. Most of the trips are my wifes ~5mile each way commute and general running the family+dogs around. We bought it a year old and it's been great, no problems at all and apart from routine servicing we haven't had to do anything to it. MPG is around 30MPG.

Thank you all for help.
Mine so far is 33.5 MPG - Not bad
New tyres, 85% motorway (but speed limit up to 40Mph cos rebuild the road) 15% city

Congratulations.. Are the mismatched wheels an optional extra?

Hehe
No, they were from my previous CL7.
I was just checked how was looks like (not bad actually but oem are much better looks)