What's new

2 Stroke oil in your ictdi

I'm a bit confused with the specs.
Bought a liter of this, but the specs are confusing me: API TC / JASO FB (semi-synthetic).
Can someone tell me if I can use it?
Thanks!
img20120109184407.jpg

That's fine Nuno

It's the same spec that's been used in the UK

Their is higher spec available but this spec is the most commonly sold in the UK.

I've just started using it and have only done 100 miles on it but the car does feel a lot smoother and does feel like it has a bit more power so all good so far, although I still have one questiion, Will using 2 stroke make the engine quieter?

I've just started using it and have only done 100 miles on it but the car does feel a lot smoother and does feel like it has a bit more power so all good so far, although I still have one questiion, Will using 2 stroke make the engine quieter?

From the feedback i have read on the internet and in this topic it should do, especially in a cold start!
smile.gif

Maybe I just have to give it more time, just me being too impatient as usual.

Their are other factors to take into consideration as well, before you started adding 2 stroke oil;

When was your last service done as fresh oil change makes a difference (0-30w fully synthetic?)
What fuel you are using as Shell/BP tend to be better than supermarket fuel (Shell VPD?)
What mileage has your vehicle done, as in lower mileage should mean a less worn engine (over 100k)
Have you been using other additives before putting in 2 stroke (redex/BG etc)
How well has your car been maintained (if you have looked after it well you may not notice much of a difference?)

The above factors may/will play a part no doubt, some people will notice an obvious change and some may not!

This is why more feedback is needed from fellow members in relation to their experience in this topic!

Time will tell!
smile.gif

Hi guys,
After reading this thread I've given the 2T a go, only running it for a day or two yet but in the mornings it certainly sounds quieter and feels smoother. Used to get a little knock with a cold engine but haven't noticed it this past couple of days. Just my two pence worth.

Jm

Bought a small bottle of 2 stroke today at Morrison's, so will be giving this a go before committing to a large bottle.

With it being really cold the last 3 mornings (minus temp's) the engine on start up has been very smooth and quiet since adding the 2 stroke. The engine has always been quiet since my purchase but have noticed it even more. Also it feels and sounds as if I'm driving a petrol car. I have only done approx 60 miles since adding the stuff so have definitely noticed some difference. This is also with the fact that I use Shell VPD and have been using it since my purchase in August.
smile.gif

In relation to MPG, have not monitored it and too early to say!
smile.gif

I haven't had the balls to try this in the accord yet, but i did give it a go in my VW van, it does seem a bit smoother running, but most noticeable is that when accelerating hard it used to pretty much fog out anyone behind, and since adding the two stroke although it still smokes, it is nowhere near as much as it used to. To me this seems to confirm the cleaner burn idea at least.

I just tried this but tried it with tesco supermarket fuel as I know it runs rougher on that than VPD, however its noticeably quieter and seems to be smoother under acceleration, I was a tad nervous about doing it but it seems to be having a positive effect.

I just tried this but tried it with tesco supermarket fuel as I know it runs rougher on that than VPD, however its noticeably quieter and seems to be smoother under acceleration, I was a tad nervous about doing it but it seems to be having a positive effect.
Hello mate
Try to stay clear of supermarket diesel, members have had problems in the past relating to this. I personally only put in branded diesel, don't really use VPD but more the normal diesel shell produce.

Personally I have tried Shell VPD three times and I cant say that I have noticed even the slightest improvement in MPG. It might or might not have increased my acceleration I suppose but I dont tend to drive the car all that hard in any case. The VPD is a LOT more expensive so I am strongly temped to abandon it. Supermarket fuel (albeit reluctantly!) seems to work absolutely fine so far - although I suppose I'd better follow the advice on this forum and avoid it. (And I have to say that Shell VPD is quite hard to find when you need it - not every Shell garage stocks it!)

I have not yet tried any other premium types of diesel, but am planning to try the BP stuff next.

Btw, are we sure FOR A FACT that the supermarket diesel is in fact materially different from the branded stuff?
Urban myths have it that all (normal) diesel is identical, coming from identical refineries and hence the marketing campaigns of history like "Put a tiger in your tank" were discreted, no?

J

Personally I have tried Shell VPD three times and I cant say that I have noticed even the slightest improvement in MPG. It might or might not have increased my acceleration I suppose but I dont tend to drive the car all that hard in any case. The VPD is a LOT more expensive so I am strongly temped to abandon it. Supermarket fuel (albeit reluctantly!) seems to work absolutely fine so far - although I suppose I'd better follow the advice on this forum and avoid it. (And I have to say that Shell VPD is quite hard to find when you need it - not every Shell garage stocks it!)

I have not yet tried any other premium types of diesel, but am planning to try the BP stuff next.

Btw, are we sure FOR A FACT that the supermarket diesel is in fact materially different from the branded stuff?
Urban myths have it that all (normal) diesel is identical, coming from identical refineries and hence the marketing campaigns of history like "Put a tiger in your tank" were discreted, no?

J

About the supermarket diesel, I suppose they, somewhere in the process, separate the two types of fuel before adding other beneficent substances. Other way, I think it would be much more costly for them to have two producing lines of fuel.

J

I know for a FACT that sainsbury's get their fuel from BP ;)

I use VPD every 1 in 5 tanks. i wish i could afford to constantly put £80 worth of diesel in my tank but the price keeps rising... im dreading when diesel gets to £100 a tank for us :(

It is a fact that Shell add some percentage of GTL diesel (nice tech info) after they've got hold of it, which in my opinion makes it better than any other forecourt can possibly supply.

To be honest from my experience VPD is the only premium diesel worth using as its derived from the use of GLT tech as Trev has pointed out. The other ie BP and Total excellium all seem to be using cetane increasers.

I found that I got better performance from using std total plus boran or MDS4 additives than using excellium on its own. In the end I just used alittle Boran and 2stroke with the std Total and car ran super clean with great dyno figures.

If VPD was available local to me and I had the money it would be a no brainer but sadly that wasnt the case for me. Interestingly my MPS runs better on Tesco Momentum 99 than it does on Vpower petrol.

^^ That's because Tesco is 99RON and VPP is 98RON I think ;)

Having tried 2 stoke in a tank of Morrison's diesel (I know it's not Shell VPD), I would say that the engine was a bit quieter on start up during the cold mornings we've been having. I can't say I noticed any difference in performance but the fuel economy would appear to have gone up. I was generally driving quite economically but did roughly 40% town and 60% motorway / main A road driving and achieved 597.5 miles on one tank, I would have got to 600 miles but didn't want to chance it. The trip computer was generally reading low to mid 50s mpg and that was with the wife driving it daily to work (she doesn't care for mpg).
It's not conclusive evidence & I'd have to compare it to other tankfuls without the 2 stroke but it's food for thought.

Ive heard 2 stroke does make it run a little quieter but ive been a bit worried about trying it and all i use is V power which is the cleanest you can get so shall i use it?

Ive heard 2 stroke does make it run a little quieter but ive been a bit worried about trying it and all i use is V power which is the cleanest you can get so shall i use it?

Not in your type s petrol mate, this is for the derv boys only im afraid.

Ive heard 2 stroke does make it run a little quieter

Ryan well have you heard this from as Andy said mate this is for the derv engine only

good because i was a little sceptical about it but thanks for letting me know i dont wanna be breaking the motor lol

Well being using this stuff now for approx 2 months with Shell VPD.

The only benefit I have seen so far is the smoother, quieter engine!

Have still not bothered to monitor my MPG!

So will stick with this stuff for at least till my MOT, till August!

I've just put some Halfords 2 stroke to the fuell. Went for a 20 mile drive to run the mixture through the engine. So far I think there is a bit less of smoke and the engine is quieter. It may be a placebo but I'll give it a go. Will check out in the morning for any extra smoothness when the engine get cold.

I have been adding 2T mineral (Exol of course lol) now since January to our delivery transit now I have to be honest I have not monitored mpg so I would not know if there is a benefit there, the main difference is the running of the engine, on start up it's much quiter and seems to run much smoother when warm so it's on that basis I will keep up the practice as I figure a smoother engine must be a good thing.
Quantity I have been using is about 500 ml per tank which 60 odd litres