Acceleration

Ross3r

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 I-CDTi
Hey guys and gals.

Hope everyone is doing well.
I have a question to ask you tech. minded and mechanical minded folk out there in Type Accord land.

I drive a 06 Honda Accord Icdti. It's got 64k on the clock and has had a service about 6 - 7 months ago.
I drive roughly 16 miles/day, in city type traffic.

Today when I got into my car the acceleration in 1st gear felt quite heavy.
In general though through the rest of the gears acceleration feels sort of the same.
Also, I've noticed twice now that in first gear when accelerating very slowly the car almost feels like it wants to cut out. it jerks very subtley.
I've also felt this subtle jerk in 3rd gear around 2k rpm.

I spoke to a friend of mine who used to be a mechanic and he recons it's some sort of little pipe on the rear of the engine. I've not tampered with it at all, but this is starting to worry me now.
Any suggestions as to what it could be?
I honestly hope it's not expencive and that its just something that can be fixed with out any hasstle.

Advise is most welcome.
Cheers.

If not fuel filter, then sticking EGR valve. And with your driving profile in mind, my money would be on that.

Guess what, I'm coming to Aberdeen for the day on Monday (first time ever). Early morning flight and fly back later in the day ;)

If not fuel filter, then sticking EGR valve. And with your driving profile in mind, my money would be on that.

Guess what, I'm coming to Aberdeen for the day on Monday (first time ever). Early morning flight and fly back later in the day ;)
Now that's an offer Rosser you cant refuse.

Hey Dude would be good to meet you but also get you to have a looksee and also perhaps more. :)
What kind of money we looking at?
Also I'm working on Monday, but if I'm able I will try take a half day, if I cant manage would we be able to sort something out? maybe you come to my work which is close to the airport.

Same symptoms as mine, and the EGR delete definitely fixed it, loving the extra pull in the mid range too :D .

Yes i can recomend the stage 1 and EGR delete makes one hell of a difference check the filter as well and change it for a gen honda one its well worth doing.

Yes i can recomend the stage 1 and EGR delete makes one hell of a difference check the filter as well and change it for a gen honda one its well worth doing.

I've only got genuine Honda parts and service my car at Honda.
I've wanted to do a stage 1 for quite some time, as for the EGR delete what does that mean?
I would like to get this done if F6HAD is able to.

Prices?

In the 1st instance wouldn't it be better to identify the problem for definite. As stated in the original post it may just be a loose vacuum hose?! If the FF is dirty or a sensor is faulty a remap will just exaggerate the problem. And if the EGR valve is blocked then it may just need a good clean, also a cheap fix.

I'm not against remaps or anything but why spend the money on one if it could potentially make the problem worse, and still require the original problem to be rectified? Also wouldn't it be better to have a health running engine before messing about reprogramming the ECU?

Couldn't agree with you more mate. But in this case he's already clarified the filters were done very recently, and all the symptoms described are in line with every other EGR related problem we've seen with the ICTDI cars.

Find me one post where the culprit was a loose vaccum hose, and I'll find you 5 in it's place where it was the EGR valve.

It doesn't really matter whether you're pro or against remapping, it's just one option to potentially resolve this very common problem. The other option would be to replace the part. It's always the customers choice at the end of the day, and besides as he's said himself he's been wanting to tune his car for a long time anyway.

Soon to be another re-map victim??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

From what has been described in the original post then I would agree that the issue is more likely the EGR valve, especially as his driving seems to be mostly city driving which is known to cause them to soot up quickly and on these cars that can cause the EGR valve lots of problems. But while it's not as common a loose vacuum hose (or even a blocked one) could give exactly the same symptoms. There's nothing to say the mechanic who did the last service wasn't a little over zealous, or a perished hose has split.

You're right being pro or against remapping doesn't matter, and this seems like the excuse he's been looking for to get it done. The point I was trying to get at in my last post was not many options had been considered, or other simpler fixes had been put forward, before it was decided the EGR was the problem which would be a more expensive fix.

But I'm sure that when you pay him a visit you'll cast your expert eye over it anyway and be able to confirm the problem.

Fahad, you are the man.

Thank you for taking the time out to do the EGR off and Stage 1 map, also for putting any doubts I had to rest, and for answering all of my questions.
The car now feels brand new.
You also a top class guy and am looking forward to your next Aberdeen visit. (Lunch on you) haha.
Hope you got back home safe and sound.

DOC, I as a little precaution took my EGR valve off my car today and cleaned it up, even though I had asked Fahad to do the EGR off.
I also had two of the mechanics at work have a look at the motor and they are happy with it, so concious is clear that there are no other underlying problems.
Fahad also put the code reader thingy on and no codes came up. :)

I will be posting up on here for the next week or two just to give folk who are interested in doing the Stage 1 Map a run down of whats happening to my car and also for Fahad for info puposes.

So, My car is a 2.2 diesel Honda Accord. 2006 model.
64000 on the odometer.
I usually drive 8 miles to work in the mornings and obviously the same back in the evenings. For those of you who cant add. that's 16 miles a day.
All of it city driving.
The MPG I was getting when I lived 25 miles away from work has gone down from 42 odd mpg to 36.1 mpg.
Got home tonight after a little jaunt with Fahad and the mpg is sitting at 36.2 :)

I've felt a marked improvement in acceleration and also smoothness of the ride.

Thank you once again Fahad.

Stay tuned (Excuse the pun) for more updates.

Nice one Rosser i new you wouldn't be disappointed.

Hey Rosser, genuine pleasure to meet you mate. And I think that's actually the first Mocha coloured Accord I've tuned B)

Lovely car. Start enjoying it!!

Let us know how you get on with the map mate, it should 'learn' as you go so should just get better the more you drive. I know mine did.

Booooooo!!! Just as I was about to leave work to enjoy the rest of the day giving my baby (my car) a wash and good ol' drive my boss comes into my lab and says I need to do some maint. on 9 wireline tools. :( Everyone else is gone why me??)
haha It's all good though, OT never hurt the ol paycheck. haha.
Still gorgeous day out.

So managed to get away from work and go for my drive.
I covered 35 miles, and the roads ranged from city streets to country roads to motorway.
The car felt great and the responce was awesome. Especially at higher revs.

I don't know if it was my imagination or not but I think I felt a little bit of a flutter sitting at near 2k rpm in 4th gear. Now, keep in mind this could have just been me because my foot was barely on the accelerator, and the road was not as smooth as I would have liked.
I returned to Aberdeen on the A90 from Stonehaven and when I got into town once again I don't know if it's maybe me getting used to the car but it almost felt a little "heavy" when accelerating.

I want everyone to remember that I'm being 110% honest here, so I'm writing down what I feel and expierence.
I don't know if it was maybe my imagination or not.
So tomorrow will be another test day and I will see if the car does indeed feel "heavy".

The average MPG as gone from 36.2 mpg to 36.3 mpg.

On a side note, I do tend to drive the car till the fuel light comes on. (Usually comes on around 55 - 60 miles range left)So maybe if there is any gunk in my fuel tank it could clog up my fuel filter.

Folks please feel free to comment and as I always say advice is most welcome.

Also incase anyone is wondering if I thought I made a mistake getting the remap, the answer is NO. I still feel it was worth it.

Stay tuned for tomorrows update. :)

What do you mean by 'heavy' mate?

Like a very slight lack of 'go' when you expect it? I've thought I felt that as well, but I've now put it down to differences in the map to what I'm used to - similar to the lower engine braking which put me off for a few days, also when lifting off then putting your foot down, it responds differently to before. I had a few niggles like these that I started thinking I didn't like it, but like I said above it got better as I drove it, now there aren't any issues with it at all and I love the way it drives in every way.
I did also get a bit of hesitation back yesterday, but I know for a fact I'm due a fuel filter, so I'm gonna get that done first then see.

You should always give it plenty of time and mileage to bed in guys and for the inlet manifold to start cleaning itself out now the EGR is closed. As always if there is an underlying problem, it will become apparent eventually and an if serious enough, an engine light will appear.

I think Brian described something similar but found that disconnecting his battery overnight resolved the issue.. maybe try that if you want

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/8717-stage-1-egr-delete-review/