What's new

Acceleration

I really enjoy my re-map but do also notice a flutter on part throttle (which I said in my original review) at lower speeds. I've done about 3,000 miles since the re-map.

It's sort of like my motorbike when the starter valves need balancing - the part throttle response becomes slightly on/off, which of course it is I suppose.

I think it's a good idea, when going for an EGR off remap, to clean the intake manifold as much as you can (the second port diameter can be as 50% clogged!) . I think no need to clean the EGR itself (being off for good), but probably a good idea to clean the engine port where it connects to.
But I think I got a close to perfect scenario: timing chain and injectors changed a few months ago, fuel filter changed later, cleaned the intake port and then the EGR off remap. For me, this gave great results.
biggrin.gif

I really enjoy my re-map but do also notice a flutter on part throttle (which I said in my original review) at lower speeds. I've done about 3,000 miles since the re-map.

It's sort of like my motorbike when the starter valves need balancing - the part throttle response becomes slightly on/off, which of course it is I suppose.

You should try to take a look at the accelerator cable slack. There's a DIY post about this. It solved the problem for me.

That's a good point actually, with the throttle response becoming so much sharper after EGR OFF, it may be the slight slack in your accelerator cable which is giving you that ocassional sensation. Easy to tighten up a bit, you just need a 10mm spanner. don't overtighten it though.

That's a good point actually, with the throttle response becoming so much sharper after EGR OFF, it may be the slight slack in your accelerator cable which is giving you that ocassional sensation. Easy to tighten up a bit, you just need a 10mm spanner. don't overtighten it though.
Good one - will check.

Will have a look at that also. Thinking about just replacing the fuel filter for good measure too and also the air filter.

I must say that this mornings drive to work although there was a lot of traffic I managed to plant my foot for a little while and it felt good. So I think I'm gonna put the heavyness of yesterdays post down to me just being desensitised (spelling I know) to the acceleration.
Brakes are next on the list too. Oh it never ends haha. :)

Todays thoughts:
The drive was pretty uneventfull, just straight home and on the Xbox. haha. (Anyone play Xbox online look me up. AFRICAN LIZZARD)

The car feels real nice to drive now and there is a sence or feeling of power when just driving normaly, knowing that there is quite a bit of oomf when and if you need it.
It's feels as thought the car just wants to go and play and go fast now. haha.
I did notice that there was some blackish smoke coming from the exhaust when I put my foot down when leaving for work but the engine was cold.

Other than that there is nothing to report and I look forward to the drive to work tomorrow. :)

Just think of the smoke as your car blowing 2500 kisses at the road every minute :wub:

No poke without smoke ;)

I always feel sorry for the poor bloke behind me when i give it large with the loud peddle but after a little bit it dose bring a big smile to my face lol.

Haha.

Right yesterdays observations:
Nothing to report really. All seems well.

Today however, I had quite a bit of hesitation as I had described earlier on, on this thread.
I've come to the conclusion that it might be a dirty fuel filter so I will be getting one soon. See how much they go for. Also F6HAD you said something about a differant valve I cant remembe the name of it that might need to be replaced. What was it again?
I'll replace that after I've tried replacing the fuel filter, tightening the acc cable and disconnecting the batt over night.

After that, if it persists I'm stumped.

Gonna take the car out for a nice long run this weekend. Can't wait. :)

If the new fuel filter doesn't resolve it then the only thing I can think now that the EGR is OFF is the little black filter that sits on the IMRC vac line (it's about £30 from Honda). Have a look at this thread for pics

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/1127-slight-missing-or-hesitation-excessive-smoking-etc/

Rosser, if the hesitation issue has improved with the EGR OFF then it's more likely to be that little filter. The filter is a diaphragm inside and controls the Intake Manifold Runner Control. As we're requesting for it to remain closed as part of the overall EGR loop, if the diaphragm isn't woking well enough you'll get that twitching sensation still. I saw this with a Civic recently, and the filter cured it.

Is this the filter that someone swapped with a cut up bit of old pollen filter?

Hey guys.
Apologies for not keeping up with the posts, work has been hectic.
Besides I had nothing to repost till today when I drove out to my local paintball site.
While accelerating a LOT of black smoke came pouring out of the exhaust. No lights came on, on the dashboard or anything. I felt no loss of power, but my mate did say it could be the DPF Valve, and apparently thats expencive to replace.
Now, the problem is I'm skint :(
So I'm parying and hoping that it's not that or anything thats gonna cost ££££
He did say that on the way back home, hammer the car.
I did and at the begining of the journey home, there was quite a bit of black smoke, but it seemed to go away the more I hammered the car.
Now I know some of you say that I should expect to see a little bit of black smoke especially since it's a Diesel and it's had the EGR off and Stage 1 map done to it. But that was a lot of smoke, enough to get me to stop and post this comment up.

Any suggestions are most welcome.
Also F6HAD, any suggestions buddy??

Your car doesn't have a DPF, so it's certainly not that.

Just after doing the remap I went for a bit of a drive, and didn't notice much black smoke - it never smoked before. Since then it's got much worse, I feel bad for the cars behind me sometimes cos it does fill the road up. Sometimes there's hardly any, sometimes there's quite a lot - I don't know why - but I'm certain it's normal for the EGR delete.
I console myself with the knowledge that ALL that black smoke used to be going back into my inlet and into the engine!!! Feel much better knowing it's going into the inlet of the car behind :D

OK I'm glad it's not the DPF as my car does not have one.
It still smokes quite a bit and I'm concerned that this is going to kill my MOT when it's time for renew. Stressing now a little and contemplating asking for it to be set back to normanl. :(

I don't think it's the engine that's making all that smoke. I think it's probably the air intake "cleaning itself" from all the gunk.

Mine smokes like a tanker when I hit it! However, with no load on the engine (ie the MOT test) I think it'll be fine.

You might try experimenting with some roll-ons, so hold it at say 40mph then go to full throttle, and try that in 4th, 5th & 6th to see if there's any change in smoke with load and/or revs. That's what I keep meaning to do anyway :blush:

The thing is after I've hammered it for a few miles it seems to clear up.
But I'm unable to do this every day.
It's just embarrasing and also as I said earlier I'm worried about MOT failure.

I recall someone telling me that if the car is not under loading (parked car), it does not smoke. Try it.

Yeah it's normal mate, it will clear up and doesn't affect MOT emission tests. Plenty of tuned Honda's been through MOT's without issue now. I've seen where you live and work mate, it's your daily commute which doesn't give you the opportunity to open her up a bit.

Don't stress!

Hey Buddy.
Update:
Looks like F6HAD is correct again. :)
The smoking has become a lot less. I've asked my mechanic to do a full service on my car, so thats been booked in next week. Hopfully that will clear up any of the smaller issues and smoke.

I had the brakes changed today, Yay.

Rosser, it is worth trying some injector cleaner for a few tanks too. I have been reliably informed that my car is smoking a lot less than it was a year ago - and nothing has changed apart from adding a load of extra miles.

I have just been using Redex, but Powerenhancer (there is a linky somewhere on here) do a good one as well.

I spoke to the people at another company (the Purple bottles - can't remember the name); about over dosing (because my Tranny has an 80 litre tank and they ***ume 50 litres on the bottle). They said it should cause a problem ,and if the system is gunged up badly it would help clear it quicker.

Sweet :D. Remember it can take a couple of tanks...and as the big F implied you need to go on a good long journey with some right footage every week to blow the soot out ;)