What's new

Accord 7th gen Lowering options

F6HAD

Affiliate / Co-Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord IDTEC
So, the age old question of lowering gets asked over and over probably on every car forum on the planet.. and TA will be no different.

To my mind there are 3 distinct options for lowering your car (this applies to most cars) and the Accord is no different. The thing that will probably dictate which you go for is cost... and possibly flexibility (the ability to alter your ride height to spec).

The cheapest (and probably most common) option is to fit a set of lowering springs to replace your factory springs. This setup requires you to mate your factory shock absorbers with a lower spring. This gives you the 'drop' and some improvement in handling, but it's definitely the cheaper end of the spectrum and any gains you get will be limited. You are also probably going to reduce the life of your shock absorbers as you are effectively forcing your shock absorbers to remain compressed at a rate they were not designed to. Potentially this will also affect your ride composure and whilst the ride may be perfectly acceptable, you might feel like you're not getting the most out of your car.

At the end of the day, one of the Accord's many virtues is its comfort and ride quality - and it would be a shame to not meet it's full potential if you are prepared to stretch your budget further.

Don't let this put you off however. Many members have successfully lowered their Accords (and other cars) using springs, and it's perfectly acceptable. The spring of choice tends to be Eibach - and I would concur that this is a quality brand, and their springs are progressively wound for better ride/handling characteristics... they're also designed to work with standard shocks so you tend to get the best blend you can achieve with standard shocks.

More info/views in this thread here:

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/568-the-eibach-thread/

So the next option (and the one I've currently been riding on for the last 2 years now) is the complete strut setup. In my case, this is the Honda A spec lowering kit - available from your Honda dealer only.

Don't be confused by the Type S lowering (which is lowered around 15mm from the factory) - the A Spec is a dealer only upgrade, not available as a factory option. It's a complete shorter shock and lowering spring setup, designed by Honda for this range of car. There is one kit for all 3 variants (2.0/2.4 petrol and 2.2 diesel) and the size of your engine/vehicle kerb weight will determine the level of drop you achieve.

From what I've seen with my own and other member cars, the diesel achieves by far the best drop (as the engine is the heaviest). I have achieved around 40mm at the front and close to 35mm at the rear. Perhaps others who have fitted this kit to their Accord will comment on what they have achieved but I recall seeing that the 2.0 petrol guys see around 25mm - 30mm all round, and a bit more for the 2.4 petrol.

I am referring to the saloon by the way, the tourer may be slightly different (as the tourer has a different rear suspension ***embly).

Here is a pic for comparison of old strut vs A Spec strut - note the shorter strut but greater number of coils:

11062008004.jpg

Here is a before and after shot right after it was fitted, note the drop got a bit lower after it settled in:

09062008.jpg

11062008005.jpg

The ride quality is excellent, it really is. Of course it is firmer, but crucially it is composed. The handling is much sharper, and whilst the nose heavy diesel will never really be a proper drivers car, the A spec suspension really makes for an entertaining drive. I would describe it as extremely tidy, rather than Type R like.. I've also added a strut brace and had the geometry computer aligned so I know it's handling to it's potential.

At the end of the day, this is the suspension that Honda designed and tested for this range of car, and if you're looking for a decent drop without compromising comfort, then it's a very good option. I believe you can now pick up this kit from Honda for less than £500 + fitting. If you calculate what a lowering kit and new shocks would cost you anyway, then you're not far off that price really - and this is a Honda part.

The final option for complete flexibility is of course coilovers. The coilover of choice seems to be Tein. And whilst I haven't tried these for myself, the only comment I would make is that they are a very high quality product and will give you the ultimate flexibility if you want to go lower than the A Spec and still maintain decent ride quality. Again, perhaps others who are using this setup can share their experience here.

Finally, remember that suspension alone will not determine the ride quality.. Tyre profile will have just as dramatic an impact. I went from 45 profile to 40 profile tyres and felt quite a bit of difference in ride quality (it was much firmer) and then this year, I went down to a 35 profile tyre when I upgraded to 19' rims, and my ride quality has become quite firm.

Thankfully my car spends most of its time on the motorway, and for those journey's it's fine.. but for city driving, lowering and 35 profiles (especially with the proliferation of potholes everywhere) I would advise caution about this setup.

Please also remember that lowering your vehicle WILL alter your cars geometry. You might get lucky and it may remain within spec, but chances are a 30mm+ drop will knock your camber and toe out. It's always best to have the geometry checked and aligned so you can really enjoy the new setup, and minimise uneven tyre wear.

Hope that helps some of you thinking of upgrading your suspension.

nice write up Fahad...just to add there are several iterations of the lowered sports suspension (so if your coil numbers are different it maybe just a different set). The sports suspension (15mm lower) only came in after the face lift for the type-S models...before that the accords all shared the same suspension setup.

If you want the tein coilovers to best match the handling of the Accord without sacrificing ride quality you'll have to look at the Tein Comfort Sport (here), the ride of the Tein SS and the more hardcore Flex, just does not compare...but yes with the exchange rate it is now you need to be prepared to pay!

good write up bro..was really lost about lowering the car untill i read your thread, i guess since the diesel has a heavier engine its better to go for a sencible drop rather than something extreme, since im planning on running on 18" wheels too, the a spec kit from honda looks like the right setup offering right handaling and still giving comfort in ride quality..excellent write up fahad...

Nice work Fahad very well laid out guide :wub:

Fahad excellent write up, just exactly what I was looking for! and I have driven Fahads car when the 18s were on and I thought the handling and suspension were spot on! looks like the A Spec is the one to go for!

Thanks guys, it's not a definitive guide by any stretch - more my own observations and personal opinion. I just wanted to get something out there to prevent the same questions being asked over and over.

I'll make it a sticky for now, and can I ask members use this thread to raise any relevant questions related to lowering here.

Cheers

I'll be lowering mine very soon I hope. I'll just be going for springs mind, haven't got the cheddar for coilovers or A-spec.

I'm also thinking for a while to a minimum drop and I was thinking to H&R OE Sport Springs (which are available only in US for TSX, not sure why in Europe they don't) .
http://hrsprings.com/scripts/appguide.php?Mode=Application+Guide&SubMode=Find2&Year=2007&ModelID=9&q=2007%20|%20Acura%20|%20TSX
They claim a 0.75 inch drop front and 0.5 inch drop rear for me it will be enough I don't want to go lower.

And I was thinking to match them with some Euro Bilstein B8 shocks (not sure this are available for models equipped with HIDs) or Koni sport shocks.

What do you guys think?

As long as the TSX fitment isn't different, and the quoted figures are probably for a TSX (not sure if TSX is same ride height as the Accord from stock) then it sounds like a good option for you.

May i also add, that its possible to add a set of springs and dampers bought separately and match the rates accordingly.

The key to comfort and good composure on road is having the spring rate matched to the amount of travel that you have, then match the dampers to the springs

Numerical example, 4" of travel 200lb spring, drop the car 2" so that you have 2" of travel left, you need a spring rate of 400lb or more not to have the undercarriage scrapped and bashed, then you need to find a damper that can absorb 400lb of spring ocillation I run coilovers, but my springs rates are 450F 350R with the dampers at 445F and 336R so quite a good match but it could be optimised if it was necessary.

Hope this is useful lol

I just wanted to get something out there to prevent the same questions being asked over and over.

Cheers

you think it will? :)

nice write up by the way keep wanting to get the A-spec suspension but never have the money and if i do never know how to tell SWMBO

Just don't tell her - or tell her it is a "safety upgrade" like I did with mine. Really looking forward to getting mine (I get the hint by the way :) google ain't what it used to be).

I drove Faddy's car with the 19" rims and it was really comfortable over the roads in my area - which are pretty good to be honest. It should be even smoother as I am sticking with my 17" Pentas for the forseeable.

What does the A-Spec offer by way of lowering? I was thinking 20mm, but Alnug's comment seems to imply it is fixed at 15mm which is fine.

Dan, you're confusing Alnug's comments with the Factory Sport suspension he is referring to. On pre facelift cars, all the Accord's shared the same ride height but on facelift cars, the Type S variants were 15mm lower.

Your tourer diesel should see a decent drop, I would say around 35mm all round once it's settled in.

Marcus, thanks for your comments also, very informative.

Cheers Fahad, the drop is secondary to the handling for me, but the more i look at the car the smaller the wheels seem in the arches.

Paul, I am not sure yet as I am getting the from HH for the meet - mine is the first in for work - not sure what deal they are doing me for the labour but I think the kit is £420 or thereabouts + fitting.

Dan, I think you will find the newer A-Spec setup is harder than what Fahad has fitted to his car. The handling, well all I can say is that I am in need of new front tyres soon B)

Oh dear - my Michelins are already at 3mm.... think I'll get the tyres rotated tomorrow when they do the wheel refurb.

Anyway, what she doesn't know won't hurt her B).

Cheers Fahad, the drop is secondary to the handling for me, but the more i look at the car the smaller the wheels seem in the arches.

Paul, I am not sure yet as I am getting the from HH for the meet - mine is the first in for work - not sure what deal they are doing me for the labour but I think the kit is £420 or thereabouts + fitting.
thanks Dan that sounds a good price better start saving again

Holdcroft Honda -our affiliated dealer.

Guys please help - I'm seriously interested in the A-Spec suspension upgrade for my 2.4 Accord but need somewhere closer to me than Holdcroft Honda.

I've just emailed Chiswick Honda and I'm not convinced they new what the A-Spec kit was.

Has anyone had this fitted at a dealer local to South West London/Surrey/M4 area? I want to be sure I leave the car with someone who knows what they are doing!

The only mention in the dealer thread on here was of Ewell Honda and that was to slate them so I don't want to go there!

Thanks
Dave

Just thought ntht I would say I'm going to go down the route of comi lovers, will be arriving and fitted in the new year. going for BC's have been told these are a good make.
Lowers form 30mm too 50mm..
Will let you know what the verdict is.
Fingers crossed.

Guys please help - I'm seriously interested in the A-Spec suspension upgrade for my 2.4 Accord but need somewhere closer to me than Holdcroft Honda.

I've just emailed Chiswick Honda and I'm not convinced they new what the A-Spec kit was.

Has anyone had this fitted at a dealer local to South West London/Surrey/M4 area? I want to be sure I leave the car with someone who knows what they are doing!

The only mention in the dealer thread on here was of Ewell Honda and that was to slate them so I don't want to go there!

Thanks
Dave

Hi Dave.

If i where you i would:
1) order the A spec kit from any honda dealer and get it delivered to you (or you pick it up).
2) look up WIM (Wheels in Motion) who are based in Buckinghamshire (HP5 1SD).

yes they may be a bit of a drive but WIM are a fantastic garage who will do the install / and full geo afterwards ;)

I should be their sales rep !

Just thought ntht I would say I'm going to go down the route of comi lovers, will be arriving and fitted in the new year. going for BC's have been told these are a good make.
Lowers form 30mm too 50mm..
Will let you know what the verdict is.
Fingers crossed.

Bc Racing coilovers ? Its the only brand i can find that have lowering springs and coilovers for the accord here in sweden..
So did you get them installed? Whats the verdict!? :)

Just fitted the Honda A-Spec kit (not sure where you're getting the name from) recently, and this really changed the characteristics of the car, seriously!! I find I'm getting less tramlining, car feels alot more surefooted and it used to have a little weave under heavy braking which is completetly gone too. Absolutely reccommend this set-up 1000% :D Love it, should have sone it sooner :rolleyes:

Just fitted the Honda A-Spec kit (not sure where you're getting the name from) recently, and this really changed the characteristics of the car, seriously!! I find I'm getting less tramlining, car feels alot more surefooted and it used to have a little weave under heavy braking which is completetly gone too. Absolutely reccommend this set-up 1000% :D Love it, should have sone it sooner :rolleyes:

Arrraghhh... Iooks like I need to start saving for this so.

I called HHonda this morning and spoken to Garath regarding the A-spec lowering setup - however they are sold out, he doesnt think they will get anymore. Any idea where might stock them ?

Hi all

i have just had a quick scan on here as time is a bit short for atm and so is internet limitations so i do oppologies f this has been coverde already but i am a tad short on time. anyway.

my problem is tht i have my car on BC coilovers all round with the adjustable hight and damper settings, the front setup is easy and i have know dramas with where as the rear i get too a point and no matter how much i change the dampning setting or spring tension does it does not change.

i have got a set of ingalls rear camber and toes bars on there and they have been setup.

now ive looked around it and the only possible thing i can think of is tht the other controling arms, so ther other 3 seem too be under a lot of tension. could this be the problem or is there anything else.
if it is, are there any other bars out there that can either be slightly longer and non adjustable or adjustable. i have looked on the ingalls web sit and they dnt have any for this model apart from the toe and camber.

any help would be appreciated
cheers
Rich