What's new

accord diesel broken 2!

manparis

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
started a new thread as couldn't be arsed to keep selecting page 2. Right so following on from my breakdown and p0087 and p0165 error codes I changed the fuel filter with a bosch one as per instructions. fitted all ok no problems there, I primed it and bled it, cranked her up and brilliant it starts. first of all it was ok then started to slightly jolt a little now and then. but now its running very rough and wants to stall. have I got air locks? iv tried priming and bleeding several times but to no avail. is there a correct way of getting the air out or is something else funked?? im primingthe bulb till its hard then undoing the bolt then doing it up then priming again . is this correct ??

Once its started and running it should be fine. If you let it stall and then try squeezing the priming bulb is it still hard?

now it wont start at all ffs!!!. the priming bulb is hard and cant see any more air coming out the bleed valve. no glow plug light though. driving my nuts the beeping car. I suppose its something more than the filter

See post #10 on page 1 of your original thread for a how-to on bleeding... I'm not going to bother writing it again! But - like Dave says - once it's running the air will be drawn through anyway.

Where did the fuel filter come from?

The tank has got diesel in it and not something else?
When trying to start does the engine try to catch at all?
Have you tried a sniff of easy start?

I have never had to bleed one of these, either pre or post facelift. Leave the outlet pipe off the filter and squeeze the priming bulb until fuel comes out. Then connect the outlet pipe, another couple of squeezes and away you go.

I honestly can't say if it is or not... it's a pity that edgeoftime hadn't been able to test the filter he got from that supplier. Because of the availability of 'Chinese clone' (for want of a better phrase) Bosch parts there are many members who say you should only buy from a Honda dealer. But we already had that discussion!

I know it isn't fun (I've done 3) but is there any way you can conveniently put the previous filter back on and see if the situation alters?

oh my bloody word!!!!!!!!!!!

after all the hasselt iv found the problem . just found a receipt from the petrol station the day it broke down
it says 29l of unleaded!!!! ffss

have i fookedf my car ?? what do i do now ?

Drain every drop out that you can. Fill it right up with fresh diesel. Add a litre of 2 stroke if you can get some. Cross your fingers, as the fuel pump and injectors may have suffered some wear.

Woah poor car, well done Dave for mentioning it.

I would hope draining and refilling with diesel should do the trick, but not sure on putting in a whole litre of 2T, maybe 500ml to be safe

Jon_G said:
I honestly can't say if it is or not... it's a pity that edgeoftime hadn't been able to test the filter he got from that supplier. Because of the availability of 'Chinese clone' (for want of a better phrase) Bosch parts there are many members who say you should only buy from a Honda dealer. But we already had that discussion!

I know it isn't fun (I've done 3) but is there any way you can conveniently put the previous filter back on and see if the situation alters?

I'll change my filter when the light comes up and I start limping or send me a genuine Honda fuel filter and I will change it when yours arrives. LOL

edgeoftime said:

I'll change my filter when the light comes up and I start limping or send me a genuine Honda fuel filter and I will change it when yours arrives. LOL
lol. Actually it now looks like it could be genuine (I was worried for a while)!

At least you can use the priming bulb until diesel is flowing out of the filter instead of petrol.
Hopefully you'll have a working Accord soon

I hope so too gonna drain it tommorww and hope for the best . thanks all for your help very much appreciated. thoses filter definitely look oe to me as they have exactly same stamps even the litte numbers at the bottom. 42 quid form Honda 19 quid from that mister auto place. iv got two now so gonna drain them both lol.

quote name="Dave G" post="183978" timestamp="1398267985"]

The tank has got diesel in it and not something else?...[/quote]
Great call Dave!

That sounds like real experience..... as in "I've done that too" ?

Just kidding ;-) Great catch Dave !!

My wife did it in her car once but realised when she went to pay for it. Still a pain getting it drained etc.
Keeping fingers crossed for you

I've done it while distracted £12unleaded, lucky just brimmed with diesel. Probably done it a little good, was at sainsbury pump made my own v power mix lol

I thought the petrol and diesel nozzles and holes are different sizes to stop this from happening? How come it still does?

Had the RAC out at cost of course but got a bit of discount as im a member. still a bloody expensive mistake. anyway lovely chap came out he was really helpful he drained the tank and changed my filter. again lol. anyway started first time and had no issues as yet. I reckon I could have drained it myself but couldn't be arsed to sort a tank big enough for 40 litres. and his sucking machine made sure it was all out and no air locks. running sweet now. hopefully no long term damage. again thanks for all your help people.
The RAC man told me to make a complaint to the RAC for not diagnosing the wrong fuel in the first place so iv wrote them a pretty nasty email as iv had to hire a car all week to get to work. If this had been diagnosed when I broke down I could have had sorted it that day. *******s!!!

Well done Dave G for making me think that there was something else in it. I know difference between petrol and diesel smell now lol.

Thats the trouble with the Honda Diesel it runs quieter than a lot of petrol engines, but there is a badge on the back, I have break down cover but would/cannot trust any of them to come up with a fix, and hover all over them when they are under the bonnet, If the one you had could not tell the difference between a diesel and a petrol Honda, how can they be trusted?? Complain vigorously you may get free cover for the coming year or even an offer of a job in the customer satisfaction office at the RAC. LOL

Stevearcade said:
I thought the petrol and diesel nozzles and holes are different sizes to stop this from happening? How come it still does?
AFAIK you can't put diesel in a petrol, but you can put petrol in a diesel .....hole diameters.

So it seems size does matter after all ;)

Yeah diesels have a bigger nozzle than petrol.

Speaks volumes doesn't it ;)

Well I tell you what lads the cars running sweet as a nut now with the new filter and petrol flush lol. Might put it to honda as a nessesary service option lol