What's new

Another Rusty Sunroof

It's about time some1 contacted watchdog on this, it appears Honda are hiding this problem and I'm sure watchdog would investigate especially after other car manafactures they got stuck into, on this yrs series.
It's not isolated get online and fill the form on on watchdogs web page

Honda have agreed to replace my sunroof after I found a very small amount of corrosion on one side. The car went in on Tuesday and now has a gleaming new sunroof! I did have an extended warranty however, which may differ fro m others here.

Sadly however, I am being forced by work into a company car, hence my pride and joy is now for sale. See http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/12302-for-sale-8th-gen-accord-tourer-auto-22idtec-ex-with-adascmbs/

Jason

Hi all, I have a 2009 iDTEC Accord Tourer which I have just found out has got the dreaded rusty sunroof.

It only came to my attention last weekend when I had the sunroof open and when I went to close it it wouldn't. When in the completely open mode it will slide shut but then continue on and open in the tilt mode. If I then tried to close it from the tilted position it will go down and then go back up again. I can not get it to stop at the closed position. I eventually got it approximately closed by just blipping the button and edging the sunroof down until it was roughly in the closed position and leaving it.
However, in looking at it and making sure there was nothing blocking it I noticed that the rubber surround wasn't quite sitting flat all the way round and looked a bit lumpy. That was when I lifted the rubber and found the rust.
I have the car booked in to my local dealer (Hendy Honda in Portsmouth) for a service next week and also to look at the sunroof. At the moment they are only aware of the closing issue as I hadn't seen the rust until after I booked the car in.
I have the car covered by a Honda extended warranty which runs until September this year so do you think the rusty sunroof will be covered under that warranty. From the extent of the rust I think this has been going on since before the factory warranty expired but prooving it would be difficult. The car has always been serviced at the same dealer both by myself and the previous owner.

What have others experience been regarding this.

I would also urge any 8th Gen owners out there to check there sunroof especially if the car is still under the factory warranty.

Sorry to hear about that. Read the extensive coverage on this forum - it's all there. Good luck.

Iv just checked mine and iv got the same problem :(

Anyone know how the sun roof comes out as mine won't be under warranty :(

This is a common problem unfortunately. Most people have had Honda replace them by escalating a case if the dealer doesn't play ball. I've read one guy taking it out and grinding the rust off and repairing it him self though.

Just use google and start collecting evidence that it's common. If the dealer wont help, at least you can quickly make a case to show that Honda should be replacing it.

It's on a 2009 plate so would say they wouldn't do it etc

Structural warranty is 12 years so I'd just see what they say to that. It shouldn't be rusty and they've had to replace other people's sunroofs so why not yours. Don't go in all blazing. See what they say and then write to Honda uk. I havnt got a sunroof so google will be your best bet to see what others did to resolve it.

should hopefully be covered under extended warranty depending on terms

not a structural part though so doesn't come under 12 year warranty

some people have been stung for high hundreds of pounds

Just got of phone from the dealer nipping my car in one day next week so will know more then fingers crossed they will do it

If they don't do it il do it my self as it's not as bad as the pic that's been posted I don't think

Well mines in the dealers on Tuesday so I'll see what they say. As I said I've got the extended warranty and the car has always been serviced by that dealer as was my previous 7th gen Accord so I'm hoping they will play ball. The thing is with the amount of rust there it must have started before the factory warranty expired anyway.

I will let you know the outcome.

Looking at this picture. I'm not exactly sure where this seal is? I can't see any rust at the moment.

tonygnome said:
Looking at this picture. I'm not exactly sure where this seal is? I can't see any rust at the moment.
If you tilt your sunroof up then you can see the rubber seal around the edge of the glass as shown in the photos below. Then just lift the rubber seal up as shown until you can see the metal surround around the glass. Hopefully you will see nice shiny black metal and not the horrible sight I can see on mine.

Also because of the rust under the seal the rubber becomes deformed and looks lumpy and uneven in places. Also eventualy, as in my case, the sunroof fails to close from the tilted position because of the deformed rubber as shown in this picture:

Anyway, mine has been into the dealers and they took pictures of the rust and sent them to Honda. Honda said to just put in a claim under the extended warranty which they did but was then rejected. The very helpful lady at the dealers then spent ages talking to Honda HQ about it and eventually got them to pay a goodwill gesture towards the cost of the sunroof.

So, in the end, the cost of the sunroof including VAT and fitting should be just under £1000 and I am paying £378 inc. It is actually going in tomorrow to be fitted.

Obviously I would have liked them to replace it free of charge but I have to be realistic about it being a 5 year old car.

My personal opinion as to why this is happening is that the two ends of the rubber seal join at the front of the sunroof. I think that water is entering at this join and then through capiliary action the water is working it's way around under the seal and then sitting there trapped between the rubber and the metal glass surround. Over time this will break down the metal coating and rust will start to form. Once the rust has started it will accelerate and rapidly get worse.

So I urge everyone, regardless of what cars you own, to check this out and at the first sight of rust let the dealer know so that at least you have it logged with them so that when it gets really bad you can say "well I did let you know about it while it was still under warranty".

Guys just checked mine and guess what rust.
But it's not on the rear of the sunroof like everyone's.
It's only on the front hence why I have missed this.
Not sure what to do yet as I have no extended warrenty.
I'm going to HH next month so will get advise

Must be a combo of poor quality metal and painting, and the seal should have been glued all around top and bottom to stop the water getting in.

Fortunately I dont have a sunroof, but I hope you guys get it sorted.

Did notice when I last washed mine, the weld joins where the hatch joins the rear wing, under the tailgate, look fairly dodgy, maybe rusty, will have to have a closer look. Also the top edge of the front doors, in front of the mirrors, under the chrome strip, look a bit brown. Guess mine is 6 years old this year..

Another thing I have noticed is that if you slide the sunroof halfway open and look up from the front seat so that you can see the underside of the sunroof at the front there is a large rustspot which is in the center directly under the join in the rubber seal. This definitely looks to be where the corrosion started.

#brett: I think the reason you are only seeing it at the front is because the water hasn't worked it's way round yet and is still in the early stages. It will only get worse.

Here are some pictures showing what I am refering to:

I’m a corrosion freak on the 7th - 8th gen as I've discreetly sorted little bits like this at no charge :mellow: and customers are none the wiser. Also look out around the window trims the wheel arches and sub-frame areas, some have been worse than a substantially older higher mileage 6th Gen’s :eek: and my V6 coupe is like a new pin :p

(Puts on his Fred Dibnah voice) "They don't make 'em like used to" ;)

I wonder if all 8th gen sunroofs are affected by this? Or is it more of a 'batch' problem?

Well checked today and I have a rusty sunroof. Moderately rusty but still rusty. Time to go to talk to the dealer.

tonygnome said:
Well checked today and I have a rusty sunroof. Moderately rusty but still rusty. Time to go to talk to the dealer.
If you don't mind my asking, What age is your car and is it still under the factory warranty.

stonesfan said:
I wonder if all 8th gen sunroofs are affected by this? Or is it more of a 'batch' problem?
I don't think it is a batch problem as mine is a 59 plate and Tony's is an 08 plate. I have also seen reports from the US about rusty sunroofs in Honda Civics.

I've now had mine replaced by the dealer so I will keep an eye on it and look for any signs of water ingress around the rubber seal.

My 09 tourer sunroof is mint. Looks like it has just rolled off the factory line .... but maybe the previous owner changed it as I have only had it 6 months.

Hi guys. I have put a deposit down on an 8th gen Accord. I didn't think to check the sunroof but knowing my luck I'm sure there is corrosion under the sunroof. However the car is mint, and I don't want to leave the car because of that.

What are my options through Honda? Do they not have paintwork guarantee for a good few years? It's a 2009 2.2 idtec.

I don't think Evans Halshaw will fix it as I absolutely twisted their arm to get them to fix a few other spots

Hi Jack,

If the car has full Honda service history, a Honda dealer might try a warranty claim with Honda UK.

As its 5 years old, probably a slim chance, so a DIY fix might be best. Sand the rust off, treat and repaint, bit of a fiddle though.

richsprint said:
Hi Jack,

If the car has full Honda service history, a Honda dealer might try a warranty claim with Honda UK.

As its 5 years old, probably a slim chance, so a DIY fix might be best. Sand the rust off, treat and repaint, bit of a fiddle though.
Thanks for that. Does the sunroof corrosion cause physical issues with closing? Obviously I know Russel's struggled to 'lock-in' at the close position, but are there any others?

Has any info been given regarding a DIY fix?

Cheers