What's new

Broke down today

Car started today!! I didn't use my battery and instead started it with jump cables only.

I just went to Halfords and got a new battery exchanged , even though they tested it again and said it was good. I'm gonna fit it now and hope for the best.

did you check the tightness of the clamps as well ?

if you did, and if it does start with the new battery, then it could have been a weak/dodgy connection internal to that battery, but note that the charging system may have caused the issue in the battery

what battery was the other one, and what battery is the new one ?

Great news you sorted, freddofrog I agree with you

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Lol a 4 page thread over a flat battery.

You couldn't make it up!!

Glad it's fixed. I've no idea why anybody shops at halfrauds.

F6HAD said:
Lol a 4 page thread over a flat battery.

You couldn't make it up!!

Glad it's fixed. I've no idea why anybody shops at halfrauds.
Wasn't the flat battery; new halfords battery didn't sort it. I went around and tightened all the connections and earth connections I could find though and now it's starting!

Halfords was a last minute buy a few months ago, I typically avoid them.

Thanks for the help folks

Blong91 said:
Wasn't the flat battery; new halfords battery didn't sort it. I went around and tightened all the connections and earth connections I could find though and now it's starting!

Halfords was a last minute buy a few months ago, I typically avoid them.

Thanks for the help folks

hahaha so it was the cable clamps all along, I proposed that in #11 and have also suggested it in most of my posts

poor Halfords getting the blame

ah well, at least you've been honest in admitting it :)

I had a mechanic and a few other people look at it to be fair lol. Was the suggestion to squeeze the terminals with the vice grips that worked I think.

Blong91 said:
I had a mechanic and a few other people look at it to be fair lol. Was the suggestion to squeeze the terminals with the vice grips that worked I think.
lesson for anyone who reads this thread - when checking the tightness of the clamps on battery terminals, ***ume that you are going to win £1,000 when trying to move the clamps by hand - that applies to the clamp on the +ve terminal, the clamp on the -ve terminal, and the attachment of the -ve lead at the chassis (also the starter motor if everything works except the starter motor)

reason is that if a clamp is not tight then it drops voltage when large currents flow

V = I x R where V is the voltage drop across the clamp, R is the resistance at the clamp, and I is the current

small resistance but large current gives large voltage drop, this also applies to croc-clips on jumper cables