What's new

Diagnosing Aircon Problems

Brian once again thanks for helping me out!
I just ran the build-in diagnostics as you had suggested and I think we've the root cause! Sensor 10 is returning "Er"!
These are the other reading while car was parked in the drive-way!

01 - 31
02 - 22
03 - returned nothing
04 - 45
05 - 31
06 - C9
07 - 01
08 - 00
09 - 67

I found this thread and once again you help out another chap. I guess I need to do the same?
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/23466-air-con-sensor-10-er/

blueagle said:
Brian once again thanks for helping me out!
I just ran the build-in diagnostics as you had suggested and I think we've the root cause! Sensor 10 is returning "Er"!
These are the other reading while car was parked in the drive-way!

01 - 31
02 - 22
03 - returned nothing
04 - 45
05 - 31
06 - C9
07 - 01
08 - 00
09 - 67

I found this thread and once again you help out another chap. I guess I need to do the same?
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/23466-air-con-sensor-10-er/
yep that's a good thread to follow

Channel Hopper said:
I've not replaced anything in the Accord with third party gaskets, but on bikes previously owned cars and tools I've found almost all - non temperature sensitive - seals can be found inside a universal nitrile washer kit, like this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NA6GEKG/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1501583701&sr=8-3-fkmr2&keywords=Neoprene+o-ring+kit
Unfortunately no guarantee that the correct one will be present!

I've got a reasonable stock of O-rings in a biscuit tin, so can usually muddle my way through. But I don't want to get half way through this job to break off to begin an on-line hunt for O-rings stockists who know the Honda application. I'm also a little pained at the thought of buying them from a Honda dealer for £21.17 (plus delivery).

What has everyone else done when replacing the condenser? Is reusing the original O-rings a reasonable option?

ignorance was bliss when I did it 5 or 6 years ago, no leaks after I replaced the condenser , although (unrelated) the compressor clutch seems to have packed up a year ago.

Channel Hopper said:
You are right, but for £15 its worth it, plus they stretch a bit each way to cover the imperial sizes.
thats-a-lot-to-ask-of-stretch-pants-5103767.png

Hi guys I used this excellent thread to get to the bottom of my Aircon issues which turned out to be the pressure switch but it has uncovered an issue with hot air instead. I don't get any on any setting. The water valve works and moves as I change the temp setting on the controller and the pipes are warm going in and out of it. I ran the diagnostic and it showed coolant temp as 00 after my half hour drive to work but the dash gauge showed normal operating temp. Are the Aircon controller and coolant temp guage fed off the same sensor? It's bloody annoying in a morning either being freezing or having steamed up windows!
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Freddofrog your expertise please help

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

Sonoflal2 said:
The water valve works and moves as I change the temp setting on the controller and the pipes are warm going in and out of it. I ran the diagnostic and it showed coolant temp as 00 after my half hour drive to work but the dash gauge showed normal operating temp. Are the Aircon controller and coolant temp guage fed off the same sensor?
I don't know if they use a common sensor or not, but the valve should be either fully open or fully closed and if you're 100% sure that the valve moves from fully closed to fully open, then remove the pollen filter and see if that helps. If that makes no difference and the valve is fully open, then the heater matrix may be blocked.

Well it seems to have rectified itself as I've had perfectly mixed Aircon over the weekend and this morning with diagnostic mode showing normal readings in line with most other people's. Will monitor it in the meantime.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Good afternoon all, and particularly Freddofrog.
I have read this entire section and I am embarrassed at my appalling lack of technical knowledge compared to you guys.
I have an 07 Accord 2.2 diesel tourer and it is brilliant.
However the Aircon has lost its chill.
A guy from Vehicools came round and decided to re-gas.
It hasn't worked (he didn't charge me). I pointed him to this thread and he said:

The Pressure Sensor is fine because the Compressor cuts in when the Aircon is switched on.
The problem relates to the diesel only gas flow circuit for which I can find no info.

He suggests going to a Honda dealer.
I don't want to waste any of your time but given that I am crap mechanically is this my best route ?
I am near Basingstoke.

Best wishes and thanks in advance,
Charles

***uming his diagnosis is correct then it sounds like the "magnet valve" is stuck in the mode that makes the evaporator become a heat source, which would be a first-time on this forum.

I definitely would not take it to a dealer. With only a couple of exceptions, they don't know any more about aircon than you do. Although there is a lot of info about the aircon in the Honda ESM (electronic service manual aka Honda DVD), it's mainly descriptive, and not too good for fault-finding. So you'd end up paying for parts-swapping, and at Honda new-parts prices, plus £100 per hour, plus VAT, you could buy another complete 2007 Accord CN2 for less.

It's a shame you live to far away from me as I could verify whether the "magnet valve" is stuck in the wrong position or not.

Do you think you could run the in-built diagnostic as described in #133 --> http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/10382-diagnosing-aircon-problems/?p=244602 ??

Thank you so much for your quick reply FF. I'm on a train at the moment but I will try tomorrow. Best wishes Charles

Make sure that you keep the aircon OFF for the time being. If you want a heat output, you can do so but use the A/C OFF switch (which is "virtual" if the car is an Exec model). The reason for keeping the A/C OFF is so that any readings you take in diagnostic mode will be a "base line" set.

Morning Freddo and other Accord enthusiasts/experts.
Ok I have just run the test with Aircon on with exterior temp showing 9 degrees C.
I did 4 readings over a 5 minute period. This time the sensors did not necessarily run in sequence 1-10.

1= 08- 07- 09 -10
2= 08 -07 -08- 08
3= 05 -10 -05- 10
4= 19 -24 -28 -31
5= 09 -03 -10 -10
6= Always C9
7= Always 01
8= Always 00
9= 43 -42 -41 -41
10 didn't always appear but when it did it was 03

Best wishes
Charles

The main ones to look out for are sensors 5 (evaporator temperature) and sensor 10 (pressure in Bar).

I don't think that it's a problem with the magnet valve, I suspect that there's either a leak, or an intermittent fault with the pressure sensor.

Best thing is to leave it in diagnostic mode on sensor 10 and watch what happens when you turn A/C On and Off (don't hit Auto Off or it will cancel the diagnostic mode).

Sensor 10 should read about 06 with A/C Off and over 10 with A/C On. For sensor 10 there should always be a number in the display. If the display is going blank at times, that indicates an intermittent fault to me. There is also another mode that might confirm this, but let's just check first by leaving it permanently on sensor 10 and see what happens.

Ok Freddo I have had sensor 10 on display for about 5 minutes switching between A/C off and on and it never changed from 05.

Bw C

***uming that the man from Vehicools was correct in saying that the compressor is cutting in, then I suspect that the compressor is faulty, it's either not compressing or it might be leaking gas out of its seals.

If the man from Vehicools is incorrect, and the compressor is not cutting in, then it's just a faulty relay.

Ok, thanks v much Freddo, I'm going to be out of reach for a few days on a boat. When I get back I will be in touch again.
Thank you so much for the time that you have taken to advise.
I'm driving 200 odd miles in the Accord tomorrow so I will do some more tests during the journey.
Bw C