What's new

direct replacement sat-nav head unit?

AC works fine on the petrol cars as fahad thought

And the P and D doesnt bother me at all having all the other features overcomes that problem lol

Cool Bananas! :D

If anyone who installed this and would like to sell off their OEM Non-Navi Radio/Aircond panel for cheap and willing to ship to Malaysia, please do let me know :ph34r:

I've checked on ebay for used ones but having the shipping to be around GBP50-70 makes it kinda not worth it for a second hand item :(

Hi Mo,

just a couple of questions.

In Fahad's initial post he mentioned:

Initial issues were the fit at the bottom as you can see from the picture it is a slightly rounded straight edge wheras our UK cars have a V shape at the bottom on the standard unit... so really I would have had to cut up my factory trim to get this to fit.. and I almost did it..

I can't quite make it out from your picture. Does the bottom line up ok, or is there a bit of a gap?

Also, regarding the A/C. Is it just the case that the labels are the wrong way around? I mean, does the climate control still work in the same way as your original unit? (but this time you have to use the P control for the driver side?)

Moh, fantastic.

Took me ages to work out how to mate the steering controls but its easy when you know how.. give me a call or something and I'll try and run you through it. In fact I'm in Birmingham tonight so if you bring it over I'll do it for you. Also I have the latest IGO PRIMO for it...

Hi Mo,

I can't quite make it out from your picture. Does the bottom line up ok, or is there a bit of a gap?

Also, regarding the A/C. Is it just the case that the labels are the wrong way around? I mean, does the climate control still work in the same way as your original unit? (but this time you have to use the P control for the driver side?)

HI bottom lines up ok but it comes down to what you have under your oem headunit wether its a dvd drive or a storage compartment

If you have a storage compartment the ends on the top of the lid for the storage compartment need to be trimmed

However i have not done that yet and its very difficult to close the lid shut as the top of the lid hits the bottom of the new unit

Il put up a pic of what i mean

Regarding th A/C the climate control works fine its just that the P is used for the driver but it doesnt bother me as its a lovely piece of kit, sound is good video quality is good everything is fab on it

Moh, fantastic.

Took me ages to work out how to mate the steering controls but its easy when you know how.. give me a call or something and I'll try and run you through it. In fact I'm in Birmingham tonight so if you bring it over I'll do it for you. Also I have the latest IGO PRIMO for it...

Fahad sorry seen this message to late and i dont want to be disturbing you at this time as its ramadhan

Icebox boys are on it but if by tomorrow they dont let me know il need your number lol

I think its down to be a newer unit as they think they at the suppliers have revised the software on it as its different

But..

I definately would like you to point me to the latest IGO PRIMO for it please....

I'll be stopping by in Birmingham tomorrow evening to collect my grandma so you may catch me at Iftari time but I can explain on the phone - contact details on premiertuning.com

Hi Mo,

Pics to show you what i meant

f8f36679.jpg

the edges on the lid could do with trimming so it can close easily

7bfb344f.jpg

e7f36d20.jpg

I'm really confused.. that seems to fit perfectly in your car Mo - but in mine the bottom the old headunit was more triangular..

Im not sure fahad the only thing is the compartment lid doesnt close as the ends on the top of the lid where it meets the bottom of the unit need to be trimmed

Still looks good though.

OOoooh, I see what you mean now. Your comparment is different to mine. I have a small rectangular compartment under my unit, the lid of which open downwards. And then underneath that I have a non-lid compartment, so I don't think I'd have a problem with my lid. It is tempting....

Because it was made for lhd cars.

Sorry, misread :lol: guess they just pull off?

I bought one of these direct from China (QualiR.)
After an issue with the amp trigger wire, all was fine.
Bluetooth, satnav, MP3 etc all fine. Only issue is poor radio reception. I am now trying to find out if the HU is powering the integrated antenna or if indeed it is powered.
Crackly and fading on FM and varies daily.
Anyone know where the antenna amplifier is located (tourer model) or if it is amlified.

Hi guys

I bought one of these head units and have run into similar issues with the Air con overheating and then disscharging :-/

I'll be speaking with Rob @ Icebox ASAP regarding a refund unfortunatly :(

Any alternatives that are known to work fine with the Diesel?

Cheers
Ali

Hi guys

I bought one of these head units and have run into similar issues with the Air con overheating and then disscharging :-/

I'll be speaking with Rob @ Icebox ASAP regarding a refund unfortunatly :(

Any alternatives that are known to work fine with the Diesel?

Cheers
Ali

One of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190618423840?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

One of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190618423840?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Saw this on a post, looks ok, but:

No DVD playback
No video out for headrest screens
Dodgy Microphone for bluetooth
Still keeps the dated standard headrest

Do teh voice instructions play over the Radio / CD or do you have to have it in "Aux" mode, if so not a great integration :huh:

Saw this on a post, looks ok, but:

No DVD playback
No video out for headrest screens
Dodgy Microphone for bluetooth
Still keeps the dated standard headrest

Do teh voice instructions play over the Radio / CD or do you have to have it in "Aux" mode, if so not a great integration :huh:

Bluetooth and satnav audio comes out of 2 internal built in speakers and you would need a separate DVD player for movies etc. Aux goes through the standard audio system. It would be far more stable than the Chinese all in ones imo. No need to worry about aircon working or radio reception and the CD player killing itself.
apparently the Nav and bluetooth is very good and has no problem pairing with the new Iphone 4s.

it is what it is at the end of the day and seems to be the most stable way of fitting built in Satnav at the moment. If you are tec minded you could get it running a carputer if you are good with that kind of stuff.

it is what it is at the end of the day and seems to be the most stable way of fitting built in Satnav at the moment. If you are tec minded you could get it running a carputer if you are good with that kind of stuff.

I guess this may be the only option as i dont want to lose the storage box to a double din unit. Altho there is an another unit for sale which looks similar but with butons up the side of the screen. Problem is not many people seem to have actualy seen let slone used any of these options to give any guatentee that issues wont arise. At least the icebox supplied unit is sold and can eadily returned IN THE UK.

The chinese unit i got from icebox looked and felt good. Ok it wasnt a sleek as a pioneer or oem item but it had everything i wanted and it sat where the unit should. Bluetooth audio, ipod cable, etc etc. Its a massive shame about the aircon overheating and disscharging because i REALLY didnt want to remove it. Boohoo!

Hi Guys

I have spoken to Rob @ Icebox who is aranging for me to return my unit for an exchange. Aparently there is a model coming out this year for the Diesel YAY! They may also be addressing the issues with climate control regarding LHD / RHD.

I will update you when i hear more.

Cheers
Ali

Hi Guys

I have spoken to Rob @ Icebox who is aranging for me to return my unit for an exchange. Aparently there is a model coming out this year for the Diesel YAY! They may also be addressing the issues with climate control regarding LHD / RHD.

I will update you when i hear more.

Cheers
Ali

Good to see you got it sorted. Keep us informed as to the diesel version and it's possible appearance that would be good news.

I had the same conversation with Rob as I'm looking at getting one of these for my brothers 2.4 Type S

[HI, my name is Rob, the seller of the unit in ebay and i am happy to answer as many questions as i have knowledge of)

The GPS software looks like IGO. Is it a legit fully licensed copy or is it pirated? Can you install any other GPS software in its place?
We do not supply the software and the owner of the unit we installed it on, brought his own software, due to no demand of software, we unfortunately do not stock as 99% get there own from the internet.) I know of versions of Tom TOm 6, Tom Tom 7, IGO 8.3 and IGO primo working on this unit as long as its PNA format. A customer of ours found Garmin to/

What voice control functions are retained? Same question goes for steering wheel controls, Vol, skip etc.
Voice controls, do you mean on the GPS software, it all depends on what software you are using. All steering control buttons present work in conjunction with the unit.

Does the Bluetooth use the original mic?
This unit has its own Bluetooth function and mic built in so any factory fitted bluetooth modules will become obsolete.

Is the firmware user update-able, and how easy is it to get the latest firmware files from the manufacturer?
Our suppliers who we work closely, will not provide firmware updates unless of the rare case if the units develop slight flaws which can be rectified with firmware updates.

Is it possible to access the WinCE operating system?
It is but its not allowed as it may cause internal memory damage which may void the warranty.

It's built for LHD cars, AirCon P and D controls are the wrong way round, do they work the correct side?
Sorry, we can only get the one in the YT video clip.

Should you feel the need to ask any more questions, please drop me a line here and ill be happy to reply.
Best wishes
Rob

quote name='Ezhik' timestamp='1306173554' post='53535']
A few comments and questions.

As good as it looks I'd want to see one and examine the build quality, I'd like to be optimistic but suspect it's poor. What kind of service can be expected after the initial 12 month warranty? Built and developed in China doesn't inspire me with confidence, and reading the Russian and Polish forums it seems many units fail. There are at least three versions of this around looking at the pics, I'd like to be able to compare them and pick out the best. Anyway, as requested some questions.

The GPS software looks like IGO. Is it a legit fully licensed copy or is it pirated? Can you install any other GPS software in its place?

What voice control functions are retained? Same question goes for steering wheel controls, Vol, skip etc.

Does the Bluetooth use the original mic?

Is the firmware user update-able, and how easy is it to get the latest firmware files from the manufacturer?

Is it possible to access the WinCE operating system?

It's built for LHD cars, AirCon P and D controls are the wrong way round, do they work the correct side?

There are probably plenty more questions, but those are the first that spring to mind. If it was a quality product, reliable, and as well integrated as the original I'd buy one tomorrow, I suspect disappointment would soon set in though. For now I'm not interested, but would like to know more