What's new

direct replacement sat-nav head unit?

Does anyone know if these head units have been updated for right-hand drive diesel 7th gens yet.

Never mind they can't be that desperate for our business. Besides I've just paid enough money to service / MOT / insure the car plus now looks like I might need a clutch. So this purchase will have to be put on hold.

Yep, I was hoping to do a proper review but am holding off until such time we can actually get this thing working properly in the UK Accord.

To cut a long story short, bought and installed it last week. The unit was genuinely fantastic (once calibrated with the steering controls and individual settings properly etc).

Initial issues were the fit at the bottom as you can see from the picture it is a slightly rounded straight edge wheras our UK cars have a V shape at the bottom on the standard unit... so really I would have had to cut up my factory trim to get this to fit.. and I almost did it..

Until on Sunday (mega hot day) i decided to use the AC.. a few minutes later I started to hear some popping and could smell a funny smell. I had a feeling it was my AC pressure relief valve but wasn't sure why it would be discharging gas. It was charged back in Oct by Holdcroft Honda and has been fine (although not used much).

Took it in to Hepworth Huddersfield Honda on Monday.. They discharged the old gas (only 200g came out) and then charged the new gas but after 5 minutes of running the engine to circle the gas, it started to discharge again. The tech (Steve - fantastic guy) then started to do some diagnosis and quickly noticed that the cooling fans weren't kicking in to cool the engine and AC Compressor. So he spent an hour changing known working relays, unplugging stuff etc and just couldn't get the fans to kick in.

He called me out to the car to explain and said he wasn't 100% sure but felt this unit was causing the problems as although it was starting the compressor, because it wasn't starting the cooling fans, it was causing the compressor to overheat and then discharge the gas (safety mechanism to prevent compressor damage).

He said to try the old unit back in the car and if the fans came on when you switched the AC On, then you know its this unit causing the problems. He topped the gas back up to full and I went on my way..

That evening I put the original unit back in and what do you know...everything was back to normal.

So whilst glad to have the car back to normal, I'm really disappointed that this unit didn't work as it was absolutely brilliant. I even bought a DVB tuner and rear view camera (Accord specific) which at the moment are going to waste...

Anyways, Robert (Ice Box) has been a brilliant guy to deal with. Both Robert and Bobby are a brilliant team and I have no hesitation in recommending them for all your ICE needs. Robert is checking with the supplier, and they are suggesting its a compatibility issue with the Diesel cars, hence the reason I asked if someone with a petrol could lend them their car for an hour.

I'm hoping the compatibility issue can be resolved coz I REALLY want one of these back in my car. I spent a few days faffing around getting it working just right, got the latest IGO PRIMO loaded and it was just utopia to be honest. The perfect solution and that 8" screen looked just brilliant in the centre console.

Merging this topic with the other to prevent double threads.

Hi Fahad,

Just read this issue.
I am now a little worried.
I purchased a unit from China almost 2 years ago. I have a diesel model and have just tried the a/c.
Compressor fires up but a/c fan does not kick in. Car was freezing cold, so I understand radiator fan not working but ***umed a/c fan worked once button is pressed.
I rarely use the air-con, but do not want an issue.
Can you confirm that fan should kick in straight away?
As I mentioned, I have had fitted for 2 years with no issues other than this potential problem.
I wondered if it is a software issue or that they aren't going to provide a fix for this.
I have contacted supplier via email but awaiting an answer.

I wont get my money back now but may remove and offer for sale to petrol owners.

Guys,

After various topics on this subject, and a really helpful link from Mo (Sufian) this week.. I've tracked down a UK seller that can supply these units. The advantage of buying from a UK seller is of course warranty and no additional import duty to be paid.

The seller is helpful and has already fitted one in a UK Accord, and shared a link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21p2Z-paglE

They're currently selling these for about £350 on ebay. If we can capture enough genuine interest, they would be willing to work out a set deal for our members.

The ebay listing has all the info you need:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280670308910&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Can you register your interest and any questions here please.

Cheers

Fahad.

HI Guys, Rob from iceboxauto here. We are happy to bring the news that finally, the manufacturers have pulled their finger out and finally brought a Diesel version of OEM media system to work with single zone climate, we are interested to hear in interested parties, close to us in Liverpool who would be interested in us, trialling the unit on their car. Should the item work perfectly, we would sell the item for £150 which would be half the retail price. Please get back to us if interested.
Thanks
Iceboxauto

Guys,

I've spoken to Rob and just want to endorse this fantastic one time only offer!

All you need to do is let them test it on your 7th gen diesel, and it's yours for £150 if you want to keep it!!

I don't expect it will take long for someone to snap it up, so be quick!!

Fahad

I live near London abd will be happy for him to test on my 54 Diesel tourer. Let him know please. Sorry see they are up in the North Liverpool, forget me.

So has anyone been running one of these for any length of time?

Any bugs, niggles or gripes?

Also, how do they feel to use every day, do they feel cheap or like they are fragile or have they managed to get it almost OEM to touch?