direct replacement sat-nav head unit?

F6HAD

Affiliate / Co-Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord IDTEC
Guys,

After various topics on this subject, and a really helpful link from Mo (Sufian) this week.. I've tracked down a UK seller that can supply these units. The advantage of buying from a UK seller is of course warranty and no additional import duty to be paid.

The seller is helpful and has already fitted one in a UK Accord, and shared a link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21p2Z-paglE

They're currently selling these for about £350 on ebay. If we can capture enough genuine interest, they would be willing to work out a set deal for our members.

The ebay listing has all the info you need:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280670308910&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Can you register your interest and any questions here please.

Cheers

Fahad.

Interetsed:

Monks
Iain
Sufian

excellent find buddy exactly what we've been after for a while...well.done bro :)

A few comments and questions.

As good as it looks I'd want to see one and examine the build quality, I'd like to be optimistic but suspect it's poor. What kind of service can be expected after the initial 12 month warranty? Built and developed in China doesn't inspire me with confidence, and reading the Russian and Polish forums it seems many units fail. There are at least three versions of this around looking at the pics, I'd like to be able to compare them and pick out the best. Anyway, as requested some questions.

The GPS software looks like IGO. Is it a legit fully licensed copy or is it pirated? Can you install any other GPS software in its place?

What voice control functions are retained? Same question goes for steering wheel controls, Vol, skip etc.

Does the Bluetooth use the original mic?

Is the firmware user update-able, and how easy is it to get the latest firmware files from the manufacturer?

Is it possible to access the WinCE operating system?

It's built for LHD cars, AirCon P and D controls are the wrong way round, do they work the correct side?

There are probably plenty more questions, but those are the first that spring to mind. If it was a quality product, reliable, and as well integrated as the original I'd buy one tomorrow, I suspect disappointment would soon set in though. For now I'm not interested, but would like to know more.

Thanks Ed - good questions.

I've asked the seller to check this thread and if possible register to address the questions personally. Build quality is also my concern and I also noticed the P and D markings.

Nothing a bit of cardboard wouldn't fix :lol: Well spotted though dude.

A few more comments having looked up a bit more. Generally I try to avoid eBay sellers who have more paragraphs setting out their terms and conditions than they do about the item, this one seems to fall into that category. I'm not so sure I like his attitude!

Back to the item.

Is the TV tuner DVB-T for UK? ie What we refer to as 'Freeview Digital'?

During the first 12 months what is the warranty conditions? Swap out or RTB for fix and repair?

Does the HFT aka Bluetooth use the original switches on the steering wheel?

What about DVD and MP3 playability on disc and on SD/SDMC/SDXC? give us all the gen!

How many sold in the UK and what is the returns/faults ratio?

Does he supply the cardboard/bluetack to finish off the installation?

I really don't like the gap at the top (under the vents). It might be chamfered and look better in the flesh but Honda simply wouldn't have a gap like that on the dash, chamfered or not. Can't say I'm keen I'm afraid.

[HI, my name is Rob, the seller of the unit in ebay and i am happy to answer as many questions as i have knowledge of)

The GPS software looks like IGO. Is it a legit fully licensed copy or is it pirated? Can you install any other GPS software in its place?
We do not supply the software and the owner of the unit we installed it on, brought his own software, due to no demand of software, we unfortunately do not stock as 99% get there own from the internet.) I know of versions of Tom TOm 6, Tom Tom 7, IGO 8.3 and IGO primo working on this unit as long as its PNA format. A customer of ours found Garmin to/

What voice control functions are retained? Same question goes for steering wheel controls, Vol, skip etc.
Voice controls, do you mean on the GPS software, it all depends on what software you are using. All steering control buttons present work in conjunction with the unit.

This unit has its own Bluetooth function and mic built in so any factory fitted bluetooth modules will become obsolete.

Is the firmware user update-able, and how easy is it to get the latest firmware files from the manufacturer?
Our suppliers who we work closely, will not provide firmware updates unless of the rare case if the units develop slight flaws which can be rectified with firmware updates.

It is but its not allowed as it may cause internal memory damage which may void the warranty.

It's built for LHD cars, AirCon P and D controls are the wrong way round, do they work the correct side?
Sorry, we can only get the one in the YT video clip.

Should you feel the need to ask any more questions, please drop me a line here and ill be happy to reply.
Best wishes
Rob

quote name='Ezhik' timestamp='1306173554' post='53535']
A few comments and questions.

As good as it looks I'd want to see one and examine the build quality, I'd like to be optimistic but suspect it's poor. What kind of service can be expected after the initial 12 month warranty? Built and developed in China doesn't inspire me with confidence, and reading the Russian and Polish forums it seems many units fail. There are at least three versions of this around looking at the pics, I'd like to be able to compare them and pick out the best. Anyway, as requested some questions.

There are probably plenty more questions, but those are the first that spring to mind. If it was a quality product, reliable, and as well integrated as the original I'd buy one tomorrow, I suspect disappointment would soon set in though. For now I'm not interested, but would like to know more.
[/quote]

Hi, thanks for your email. The terms and conditons are there set out to cover both the seller and buyer. We find it quite alarming in the past that people are happy to spend in excess of £300 and not read the terms. All our terms have been carefully writ out and they are there to inform you of everything, this in return, keeps the buyer fully informed and also cuts out on pre-sale information which allows us more time to be able to concentrate on other fields in the business. We would recommend, even it took 10 mins to read terms to do so on all retail sellers as failure could cause a lot of heart break and loss of funds..

Right to the questions.

Sorry, this only has ****ogue TV on this model but we can supply a external DVB box for £45 more.

During the first 12 months what is the warranty conditions? Swap out or RTB for fix and repair?
We endeavour to provide a after care service 2nd to none, I will admit, the manuals of the OEM industry and pretty poor hence the reason, we have to give a lot of after care service. We are knowledgable to all our units on how they work and have a clips on Youtube for troubleshooting. We deal on a daily basis with the suppliers and can get parts when needed so if the unit fails beyond the one year, we will provide a repair service beyond this for the price of the parts and postage costs (example; SD card reader is £12, courier is £8 so total cost for repair would be £20)
Depending on the issues with the unit, we will provide a repair service if its a small mechanical issue or a replacement if its a unit with major issues.

Sorry, i am not familiar with what buttons you have on steering but if you already have a call answer and decline, these will still be active and working with the unit as OEM industry works to the same settings as the factory radio.

What about DVD and MP3 playability on disc and on SD/SDMC/SDXC? give us all the gen!
It will play all formarts and regions of discs. We dont advertise MP3 in the auction due to ebay conditions but it will play MP3

We only listed this 6 weeks ago and have sold 4 up to now, the only thing i can say is if you have amplified speakers, the ISO loom that comes with the unit will need adapting but we are knowledgable to this and can advise how to do it as the installed unit in the Youtube clip had amplfied speakers.

Sorry, we only supply the headunit.

We hope this has cleared up your questions, feel free to contact me and ill be happy to answer any further questions.
Best wishes
Rob
A few more comments having looked up a bit more. Generally I try to avoid eBay sellers who have more paragraphs setting out their terms and conditions than they do about the item, this one seems to fall into that category. I'm not so sure I like his attitude!

Back to the item.

Rob, thank you very much for taking the time to answer the questions.

Please do keep checking back on the thread and when I feel there is enough interest I'll be in touch to see what sort of a deal we may be able to come to for our members.

Love that tune.... reminds of the good ol' days. In fact - where are my headphones!?

A couple of questions and concerns...

1) The AC with the P and D the wrong way round.... How does that affect temperature control? We have the drivers temperature sensor by our left knee. Will that affect the dual zone control's effectiveness.

2) You say in your Ebay listing that it has DVB-T. That is digital TV. There is no mention of extra cost for that in your listing.

3) Your listing says it has a GPS navigation system. Unless the software is included it is not a system. It is a receiver only.

4) Does the radio operate with RDS EON?

4) That is a big ol' gap at the top there.

Please see this as constructive comment as I like your product and will be keenly looked at if my OEM unit dies, or I have a real ballache getting my ipod connector working.

Dan I think if you read Rob's responses, most of those questions have been answered.

Thanks Rob for signing up and answering my questions, I unreservedly take it back, its a great attitude you have to come here and reply, much appreciated.

I think its a good bit of kit for the 03 to 05 cars, but for us with 06/07 already with touch screen we are losing a bit of functionality. From your answers I see we will lose voice control of Radio/CD/AirCon/SatNav (our cars have an inbuilt mic and we can control these things with voice).

It also seems the AirCon will work the wrong side, and as supplied the ****ogue TV receiver will already be out of date as the digital switchover is well under way.

One further question though whilst you are here, can I ask why you chose this particular model over the other two versions I've seen for sale? Can you get the other ones, as they look like they have more buttons to push!

Thanks again for for coming over here and helping us choose.

sorry bud, but they haven't really...

i can't see rds mentioned anywhere, and It's not clear that the P side of the ac is monitored by the sensor by the driver's knee.

also, does the voice control the ac?

my other points are more like comments on what i perceived as inaccuracies in the chaps "carefully writ" listing.

Top marks though for signing up and answering our queries. it does show a good attitude!

how hard would it for a purchaser to swap the knobs over?

summut like that could get annoying after a while...

Hi there, we will endeavour to provide as much information as possible. We have knowledge of the units working but on some occasions, we will seek further advice from the manufacturors as these are the ones that develop the unit and will have additional knowledge, i will find out further on question 1 for you and will reply in the next few days.
2) Sorry, i may of missed this but can you please direct me to where it states it has DVB. You are correct, DVB is digital TV and the only way you can get it on this unit is to purchase a external box and link it via the AUX input, the boxes cost £45. Please advise where it states so DVB in the listing specifications.
3) I suppose its how a specification is interpreted, we have never had anyone be misconceived on any of our auctions as it does state "no gps software supplied" in the auction but we appreciate your comments and we have now changed it to "hardware". If you get stuck, i can send you direct info on where to download it but it will be at you own risk but 99% of our customers do it regardless.
4) Sadly, the manufacturor hasnt added RDS which is a shame, we have other popular OEM units from the same source and they havnt added RDS which we dont understand as they would sell a lot more.

I will get back to you on the 1st question soon.
Many thanks
Rob

Love that tune.... reminds of the good ol' days. In fact - where are my headphones!?

A couple of questions and concerns...

1) The AC with the P and D the wrong way round.... How does that affect temperature control? We have the drivers temperature sensor by our left knee. Will that affect the dual zone control's effectiveness.

2) You say in your Ebay listing that it has DVB-T. That is digital TV. There is no mention of extra cost for that in your listing.

3) Your listing says it has a GPS navigation system. Unless the software is included it is not a system. It is a receiver only.

4) Does the radio operate with RDS EON?

4) That is a big ol' gap at the top there.

Please see this as constructive comment as I like your product and will be keenly looked at if my OEM unit dies, or I have a real ballache getting my ipod connector working.

Hi Ezhik, thanks for your kind words. To be honest, we can get any models on the market but what i do as a whole with my company is tend to keep my suppliers down to about 3 or 4. I have dealt with many suppliers over the years and have had such a bad after care service from some of them that i keep to the more reliable ones. If I deal with too many, bulk orders will dwindle with suppliers and they tend to lose interest in giving a reliable and efficient service if sales fall to bare minimum. The good thing with my recent suppliers, they are tried and tested. As we dont build the units, we rely on suppliers for advice and parts should any units need repairing and the current suppliers of ours do this, we can repair on 80% of returns but we do need the parts from the suppliers when needed. The good thing is, if we need any models which are not in our suppliers inventry, we can get them to source the models, this way, we still get there after care service.
Sadly, the chinese market and suppliers are happy to take funds from you but if you are a individual order, they wont be too sharp in ***isting should you experience any issues.
Anyway, feel free to paste a link over via the forum for any other models and ill be happy to look into it for you.
Best wishes
Rob

Thanks Rob for signing up and answering my questions, I unreservedly take it back, its a great attitude you have to come here and reply, much appreciated.

I think its a good bit of kit for the 03 to 05 cars, but for us with 06/07 already with touch screen we are losing a bit of functionality. From your answers I see we will lose voice control of Radio/CD/AirCon/SatNav (our cars have an inbuilt mic and we can control these things with voice).

It also seems the AirCon will work the wrong side, and as supplied the ****ogue TV receiver will already be out of date as the digital switchover is well under way.

One further question though whilst you are here, can I ask why you chose this particular model over the other two versions I've seen for sale? Can you get the other ones, as they look like they have more buttons to push!

Thanks again for for coming over here and helping us choose.

Have to agree with Ed in that its probably better for the pre facelift cars like mine, especially for those that have a standard or non sat nav premium head unit.

I think the other thing to bear in mind guys is the price... at this price range and with all that functionality, you can't expect an OEM quality product.

Hi guys, i enquired further with our stockists about your P and D Air con question, they have stated, its only for cars with Dual Zone AC. As you are more knowledgable to your cars that I am, if this has not answered your question, feel free to inform me and ill delve deeper. They furnished me with this picture.
6019onlydualzoneairconditon.jpg

thanks for replying!

our cars do indeed have dual zone climate control though.

Yes mate all our cars have dual zone climate but as they are right hand drive cars, the P and D (Passenger and Driver) markings are obviously the wrong way round on your units. Can your manufacturer switch them the right way round?

HI Farhad, could you send me over a picture of your current dash so i can show the suppliers exactly what you are refering to. It can be harder than normal sometimes getting a message to them and understanding. Attached is another installation shot although this is from the stockists website.
6019install.jpg

Best wishes
Rob

Yes mate all our cars have dual zone climate but as they are right hand drive cars, the P and D (Passenger and Driver) markings are obviously the wrong way round on your units. Can your manufacturer switch them the right way round?

Rob,

Here you go mate, here's one of my own car.

DSC00051.jpg

In facelift models, above the vents and hazard button there is a small display with information from the stereo, clock, and temperature of the two zones. If I get a chance later I will post a pic for you.

This is a good reason why this product may be better for the pre-facelift versions like Faddy's, but would be a good thing to find out about for those who need a replacement.

I've quickly read this thread and I noticed these units on ebay earlier this week. Something I've not noticed mentioned in this thread is the real kicker for non sat-nav cars in my opinion.

This unit does NOT display the AC temp setting. It appears to rely on the dash-top display which is standard on cars with sat nav, but if you already have sat nav then you're unlikely to go with this...

Isaac if you watch the video you'll see that it does on the screen.. or am I missing something?

Guys,

I need some help - I had this fitted to my car last week, got it working near perfect and have to say its an absolutely amazing piece of kit... until I tried the AC on sunday. I'll explain in detail later, but briefly it's either a wiring issue in the diesel vs petrol or a faulty unit.

Anyways would anyone in/near the Preston area (or if someone is willing to travel further afield) be willing to spare an hour of their time and visit Robert at their site in Mawdsley and let them test fit this unit to their PETROL car to check if it works properly or not?

Please contact me directly if you would be up for it.

Cheers

Fahad