What's new

** DIY - FULL LED CONVERSION **

J4JAV

Mr OCD Detailing
Reaction score
Car
Accord CL7 & ATR
Hi Guys,

As many might know and remember this from the last site, I thought it would be good to have this on here also, so guys here is the write up for my full LED conversion which was my first major mod to the new car which I did last winter. Hope it helps many of you and doesn’t upset some.

First of all here is a simple outline of what you will need to buy to do the conversion (P.S ignore the ‘please note’ section below as I have now completed my 100% full LED conversion!)

Here is how most of the kit will come, or packed as, all these can be bought on eBay just type in the bulb type followed by colour, but I do recommend going for the SMD High Power LED's as these are going to be your important driving lights and you want them bright and to work all the time 100%.

This is the nice and easy ones, the small tube lights for the sun visors... with a small tiny flat head screwdriver simply remove the cap and pop out the old bulb and in goes the LED one, it will be a bit of a tight squeeze but it will fit, size is 31mm, before and after shots shown below...

Front festoon lights also just clip out, many already know this, these are a definite to do mod as them standard bulbs tend to blow quite often…

Same goes for the rear one, just be really careful with the screw driver as the trim can be very easily marked and damaged….
L14.jpg

L6.jpg

L15.jpg

Now the slightly harder bit the rear lights, you will find that in the bootlid there will be two small bulbs and all the rest are the larger size, these simply are hidden behind the carpet trim which again clips off after you remove the plastic clips and then the bulbs are in holders, just clip off the bottom half, just twist out the holder, remove the harness first, as you don’t want to damage the wiring when twisting, remove the old bulb and push in the LED bulbs…
LA2.jpg

LA1.jpg

Moving onto the rear indicator & brake light bulbs, these do fit in the holders as normal, perfect tight snug fit, but they will flash too fast will the indicators, this is where you need to put a resistor as per the shopping list above in between the two wires (you will need extra pair of resistors and bulbs for the front ones too), crimp / solder it’s up to you, but solder is the best of course, but please note that they do get very hot, so need to be in an adequate place. As per my pics I have had these running for nearly a year now and not a single problem or blown fuse and I have just screwed in the resistors behind the carpet with a single screw, drilling will be needed beforehand of course! The brake bulbs will just need to be placed into the holder and these will work as normal.
L4.jpg

L3C.jpg

L3B.jpg

L5.jpg

Door cards & the glove box again simple remove the cover and replace the bulb, some pics…
L22.jpg

Now some final pics….
L23.jpg

L24.jpg

L18.jpg

L27.jpg

L28.jpg

L19.jpg

DSC00977.jpg

Since then I have also done the front indicators too and also the reverse light, fog light and also the third brake light too! In all honesty these are much better and I feel it’s a must have mod! You see all these new Audi & Mercs with their LED bright lights, mine is just like that, no fake indicator flashing, if you look at a OEM indicator it never goes off, it just goes dim and bright fast same with the brake lights as it’s a filament! As for mine they flash proper on and off, and at night they can be noticed from a miles off and are better in safety too. The LED reverse light also helps with reversing in the dark as its like a floodlight lol. Also normal bulbs tend to wear and turn pink, where as LED show a true red/amber colour, and best of all these are all low power… 

Here are a video of the indicators, so you know what I mean about the flashing…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFmJF-t0W_U

If any of you guys want help / advice or even help with doing this mod then give me a shout I am more than happy to help! Just a PM away 

Jav sorry I missed this great DIY Im sure it will come in handy for many members

JAV didn't you add DRLs? too
I want to do this....

Good stuff Jav

Think I`m being a bit of a dimwit here (I can just picture hundreds of heads nodding in agreement) but I`ve just typed into Ebay "7440/7443 orange LED" and nothing comes up. Is it 7440 or 7443, is there a difference or am I barking totally up the wrong tree. Maybe I should leave well alone

Jav, where did you buy the LED's from ?
Adan i think Jav got them from here.This is wear i got mine from and also CJ.
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/warden_jp2002/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Thanks guys, and yes the link Brett kindly posted is correct :)

Proper Gangsta pimpin there, good effort nice and professional.

Just thought I`d offer my experiences of fitting LEDs. I decided to go with these for my stop/tail and indicators and they look great. I then decided to fit the same to my fog and reverse but unfortunately the reverse LED causes interference to the screen when I engage reverse (I have a reverse camera fitted as well) so I have for now gone back to the normal bulb. The LEDs obviously being in red, amber and white according to needs.

I also bought some of these to use for my sidelights but found that they are too long to fit into the rear sidelights in the tourer tailgate so have instead gone for these. They are very bright and look great.

Like somebody has mentioned I got all mine, apart from the new sidelights, from warden_jp2002 on Ebay. They do take about 3 weeks to arrive. I was mistakenly sent 2 red bulbs instead of amber and the seller has sent out 2 more amber bulbs , no questions asked and not asked for the red ones back.

I didn`t know but I have since discovered that LEDs are polarity dependant. I was ready to send a few back because I thought they were broke until I happened upon another Ebay seller who mentioned the polarity thing.

The only ones I found to be a bit fiddly were the sidelights in the tailgate but the main problem was caused by the bulbs being too long. Apart from that they were all a doddle to fit.

Jav, which bulb did you go for in your reverse light and do you have any interference with the camera

Dave I have a LED in my reverse and fog too... all my car is LED now every single bulb and it works fine with the camera mate...

ahem that LED was bought from me..:) Dave my tourer has teh full LED treatment we can compare notes.. I honestly think the LEDS Jav and I have the best out there... well a year ago.

touch wood not a single one has failed .

I`m confused. I thought I bought them from a bloke in Hong Kong. Anyway, I`m sure they are ok although I have tried 2 different ones. I`ll try a red one tomorrow just to see if its a bad batch of white ones and I`ll take a couple of pictures to show you what I mean.

Apart from the reverse light I too have a full LED conversion now. The only bulbs I haven`t changed at all are full beam (they are HID I know) and front fog, not sure what they are

Dave what about your front and rear indicators?

Dave what about your front and rear indicators?

Rears are done mate. Like I said, the supplier sent me some red ones instead of amber for the front so I`m just waiting for the replacements to arrive, hopefully orange coloured this time

Great write up Jav.

Are the festoon LEDs also 31mm? Also, are the door car bulbs the same 31mm vanity LEDs that you use for the sun visors?

Cheers.

This is what I get on the satnav screen as soon as I fit an LED bulb to my reverse light:-

IMAG0061.jpg

As soon as I put the original back everythings normal. Surely if there was a crossed wire or bad connection etc then I`d get the same interference with the original

CJ I noticed in another thread about batteries, you made the following comment:-

"The i-ctdi is very touchy with it electrical components . the sheer number of electrical gremlins in the i-ctdi outnumber the issues encountered on a petrol car."

Just out of interest, would fitting LED bulbs to an i-ctdi cause any problems, is the electrical system that touchy.

Altight mate....hope all is well....top writeup mate.

Me and Shabz are interested in getting some of these mods for are cars. Just wondered what size festoon bulbs have you used for the front and back interior lights?

Jav i noticed on your other youtube videos that you have main beam led?

Sucks all bulbs etc come from hong kong....what is the delivery duration experiences so far?

well lads, did anyone change the indicatore bulbs in the wing mirrors? if so what type bulb goes into them and do they need resistors. thanks.

John mine took nearly 3 weeks to arrive.... my full/main beam is not LED, its another HID Kit mate.

Mine have arrived now, fitted the bulbs apart from the indicators as i need to get the connectors from maplin or something, seems good although my number plate led's keep blowing :D