What's new

DPF problems again

metis

Members
Reaction score
Car
08 Accord 2.4 EX
I had the no prior warning DPF return to dealer light in Jan this year where they forced a regen. Driving home from Portsmouth yesterday it came on again in limp mode, this was after an hour going down the motorway over 70mph....
Today dealer reports can't regen as it keeps going into limp mode, need a new dpf after only 60,000 miles. Good news is they will try a claim to Honda for part payment as it's gone so early but they need the service history and there is one stamp missing from previous owner. Sorry to say but I will be selling it regardless of outcome, it's cheaper and more reliable to run a petrol unless your doing silly miles per year.

Sorry to hear this man.

Sorry to hear this hope it gets sorted.

This is why I do petrol, these type of faults wipe out any fuel saving with diesel. And I only do 8k a year, so petrol suits me.

A lot of 8th gen DPF problems seem to be caused by wrong oil being used, even by Honda dealers. Over on the 'other' forum stories of honda dealers filling idtecs with 5w/30 instead of 0w/30 low SAPs oil. This can wreck a DPF and the turbo.

If you have any service bills, check the oil grade used, if its wrong they have been negligent, and should pay for your new DPF.

Sorry to hear this mate but if your not doing many miles it might pay to go down the petrol root
Tbh the 8th gen is normally good and not much problems with the DPF
You might just have a car with this problem it does happen

I do about 15k a year with 3 motorway trips a week so thought diesel would be cheaper to run, but higher purchase price, more frequent & more expensive servicing and higher diesel price completely takes out any savings made by the additional 10mpg I get. Let alone the issue with dpf and future turbo/dmf/injector probs that may await. Not having a dig a Honda, just the diesel myth of economic motoring!

Just because the stamp is missing doesn't mean Honda haven't done it. Mine was missing a stamp but a simple call to the dealer proved it had actually been done. The books now stamped too.

I'm only doing 10k a year and had no problems with the Dpf in the 14 months of ownership but that's not to say it won't happen. Did you ever take the revs to 4.5k to blast the crop out? Once every 4-6 weeks seems to keep mine healthy.

I hear what your saying about service costs though. I am finding it rather expensive to keep main dealer service.

Looking at petrol cars for my wife is making me wonder if I can do with out a big car as the small petrol cars these days can do 47mpg and 0-60 in 7.3 secs!

Hit the red line to blow the cobwebs out. Hmmmmm, I must have the cleanest pipes in the county :lol:

^^ This. We do this regularly.

Dont take this the wrong way Fahad, I'm not having a go at your business.. :)

DPF removal is an option, but if VOSA stop 'sitting on the fence' about diesel MOT emissions testing standards, then Euro 5 and 6 emissions will be tested and cars with DPFs removed should fail as the particulate emissions will be too high. They wont comply as the manufacturers designed them to run with a DPF.

Owners would then have to refit a DPF with the ***ociated costs. At least £1k for the DPF plus fitting.

Its going to be a minefield buying a used diesel if the MOT is tightened up, you'd need a pre-purchase MOT to check it passes and the DPF is still working properly or hadnt been removed.

Well I'll ask Honda for my old DPF so I can sell it on to anyone interested to gut. I have a Jazz at the moment from Honda whilst mine is in, it does better mpg (50 on my way to work as opposed to 40 in the accord) There is more interior space than the accord which is strange and only a slightly smaller boot. would seriously consider it if quality and toys were better!

Unfortunately that's a completely misguided argument. There is no way for them to actually test whether a vehicle complies with Euro 4, 5 or 6 emissions tests.

The compliance standards are made up of much more than just a DPF.. and the emissions measured when the vehicle compliance is being tested is over a set distance when the car is technically under load. The current MOT testing station equipment can only test a vehicle whilst it is not under load i.e. standing still.

Without substantial investment in upgrading technology, equipment, procedures, regulations etc - it's not about to happen any time soon.

I generally do agree with the principle that if you are not doing the miles, you really shouldn't be driving a diesel (especially one with a DPF). But for those that have one, and want some peace of mind, removal is the only real option.

Dont take this the wrong way Fahad, I'm not having a go at your business.. :)

DPF removal is an option, but if VOSA stop 'sitting on the fence' about diesel MOT emissions testing standards, then Euro 5 and 6 emissions will be tested and cars with DPFs removed should fail as the particulate emissions will be too high. They wont comply as the manufacturers designed them to run with a DPF.

Owners would then have to refit a DPF with the ***ociated costs. At least £1k for the DPF plus fitting.

Its going to be a minefield buying a used diesel if the MOT is tightened up, you'd need a pre-purchase MOT to check it passes and the DPF is still working properly or hadnt been removed.

Do you think they will ever start doing physical checks to see if a dpf is fitted and active? Or is that too complicated for an MoT test?

Seems a strange system that forces EU standards on new vehicles and then after 3 years when the MoT comes up, doesnt check if it still complies?

Wonder what zee Germans do, expect they check if the dpf is still working? They might force EU member states to follow suit.

I wonder how they police the low emission zone in London, or is that purely camera number plate based like road tax checks?

I think balancing the substantial possibility of DPF problems which could cost a lot of money v the theoretical risk of these rules being brought in and applied retrospectively, it's something I would go for if I had an 8th Gen diesel.

Some say it's illegal but if that was correct then cars that had had done it wouldn't pass the MOT.

Latest update on my DPF issue is that after 3 days with my car Honda found a software update that needed to be done and managed to force a regen so no new DPF thank goodness. They advised if it goes again then may have to try a cleansing fluid for the DPF then last resort a new one. Service manager had a good chat with me (he has an accord diesel) giving advice such as not to use supermarket fuels, don't let the fuel tank go past a quarter left and give it a run on a motorway any time it has been idling or in stationary traffic for a long period. After all their efforts and 3 days of lifts and 1 day of a courtesy car I was charged the grand total of...... Nothing!!! They were extremely helpful and honest with me throughout and I doubt any other manufacturer would go to such efforts, especially for a car out of warranty.

Good result from the dealers.

Paul - I hope it holds out for you, and I would agree with the advice on DPF compliant oil and decent quality fuel. My own experience having worked on many of these now is that once they need a forced regen, it's only a matter of time before they need a replacement or removal.

Rich - you raise a valid point regarding visual checks, and this is exactly the reason we don't fit aftermarket bypass pipes and go to the trouble of removing the DPF element from the original cage. Externally there is nothing to suggest anything has changed to an MOT tester.

I wonder how they police the low emission zone in London, or is that purely camera number plate based like road tax checks?
It doesn't apply to cars, but they use ANPR and DVLA records. Sounds like they only check manufacturer/model.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/17678.aspx#tkt-tab-panel-4

Latest update on my DPF issue is that after 3 days with my car Honda found a software update that needed to be done and managed to force a regen so no new DPF thank goodness. They advised if it goes again then may have to try a cleansing fluid for the DPF then last resort a new one. Service manager had a good chat with me (he has an accord diesel) giving advice such as not to use supermarket fuels, don't let the fuel tank go past a quarter left and give it a run on a motorway any time it has been idling or in stationary traffic for a long period. After all their efforts and 3 days of lifts and 1 day of a courtesy car I was charged the grand total of...... Nothing!!! They were extremely helpful and honest with me throughout and I doubt any other manufacturer would go to such efforts, especially for a car out of warranty.
Good result mate but i will give you a bit of advice contact Honda UK and explain your situation my car was bought just out of warranty and has never been serviced or seen a main Honda dealer, my DPF came on last December i to had a forced regen i contacted Honda Uk they said i could have a DPF for £250 the dealer said after the forced regen i would not need one and should be fine now. Then last month 2days before i was going to put the car on as a taxi gets dreaded warning light again, was in 2minds get the DPF removed or new DPF if Honda UK had not honoured their offer for the DPF for £250 it was definitely getting removed, so i have now got 12 months driving with no DPF worries has this is now under warranty, i asked them to put the new update on but how do i no they have, i suspect they just changed the DPF. Is their anyway we can check if the car has the latest updates .
But please contact Honda UK get it noted on their system they have always been good with me just be polite.

After reading this I'm defo not buying a diesel, though I'd like to replace my 2003 2.0 Sport (with 125k on), with a gen 8 , but they do seem expensive. . Seen several 08 to 09 petrol Accords with 24k to 42k on but they were £10,500.

You pay a premium for diesel, my 2.0 iVtec petrol was £8k with 59k miles, 58reg. It'll do 40mpg on the motorway easily if you stick around 70mph. Plus no big bills for dmf, dpfs etc, even has a cam chain which should do 100k miles easily.

Mines a Tourer also, saloons start around £6k

Funny enough I've seen an 08 2.0l petrol with 59k on for £7990. Manual, Saloon ES GT. Also seen a 2009 EX DTEC with 51k on for £10295.