What's new

Engine temps

Dave_G

Members
Reaction score
Car
06 Tourer EX CTDi
My diesel seems to sit slightly below half way on the gauge though it warms up quick enough. Is this normal or should it sit bang on half way?

My diesel seems to sit slightly below half way on the gauge though it warms up quick enough. Is this normal or should it sit bang on half way?

Mine warms fairly quick and also sits just below half way on the gauge so I ***ume its normal.

Yep, totally normal.
78 º C
wink.gif

Operating temperature according to the Honda Diagnostic System is 76 degrees. Just below the half way mark is perfect.

Yes, I was also relieved when I discovered that just below half way was normal.

Slightly off topic... on a very cold morning it obviously takes longer to warm up and, being a diesel, a bit longer than a petrol engine might. During this extended period to reach normal temperature, my handbook suggests that the aircon should operate in reverse to provide warm air almost immediately. Has anyone noticed this actually working?

Has anyone noticed this actually working?

Yes, but it's less than amazing. As far as I can tell it operates WHENEVER the engine coolant temperature is below cabin set temperature (even for the first few minutes in the middle of summer) -even if the A/C is set to off. The only way I've found to stop it entirely is to set the temp to 'LO' (with A/C off). Conversely, in the depths of winter, setting the temperature to 'HI' gives the best gas ***isted heating effect.

There are a few threads around on this one...

Dave the Temp sounds normal to me :)

Yes, but it's less than amazing. As far as I can tell it operates WHENEVER the engine coolant temperature is below cabin set temperature (even for the first few minutes in the middle of summer) -even if the A/C is set to off. The only way I've found to stop it entirely is to set the temp to 'LO' (with A/C off). Conversely, in the depths of winter, setting the temperature to 'HI' gives the best gas ***isted heating effect.

There are a few threads around on this one...
Thanks Matt. I can't say that I've ever noticed mine working!

Thanks Matt. I can't say that I've ever noticed mine working!

I've only ever noticed it working once. Came back from a run with the mtb club i'm in, opened the car and started her up. By the time i'd straightened the tarp in the back and put the bike in (2 mins at most), i got back in the car and it was actually pretty warm in the cabin. Considering it was baltic outside, the warmth was very welcome, But that was the only time i've actually started the car before i got in it so haven't noticed it again

That's exactly the same as my petrol. Always sits a little below half way. Even after prolonged high revving. Nice one Honda.