What's new

Exhaust fumes/smell in cabin I-CTDI

Well mine is in Honda Letchworth at the moment -we have a brand new 60 plate Jazz sitting out front... looks pretty enough, but the missus wants the Accord back ASAP.

I called HH, but I didn't get a call back until the following day and with the MOT up I HAD to get it in today. It failed the MOT only on the number plate lettering fading and a bulb. Still gutted abotu missing out on the warranty, but I would rahter have a safe car - looking forward to seeing if the manifold will improve the performance a little and reduce the smoking.

I have asked for them to leave the old one in the boot, so I will post some pics if anyone is interested.

If you could get some pics up that would be great.

Like you say better to have the safe car, especially when carrying children.

Good news Ed,

Mine goes in on Monday so fingers crossed. The jerkiness seems really bad as well at the moment and even after the replacement of the frequency solenoid valve mine still smokes like the clappers.

Lets hope that the Manifold and injector calibration sorts it all out. Only 35MPG on the last tank OUCH :lol:

Good news Ed,

Mine goes in on Monday so fingers crossed. The jerkiness seems really bad as well at the moment and even after the replacement of the frequency solenoid valve mine still smokes like the clappers.

Lets hope that the Manifold and injector calibration sorts it all out. Only 35MPG on the last tank OUCH :lol:

Nick is the 35 mpg going steady, or are you putting your foot down to avoid the fumes!

I take it that it is getting really bad now are you noticing it more in the cabin.

Well less than a week until it goes in, bet you cannot wait.

Still driving normally Carl. I havent changed my driving style at all. I suppose that the cold isnt helping or the minifold.

If this doesnt sort it out, I will be going back to a stock map to see if that helps!

And yes, its pretty bad in the cabin if you get stuck in traffic. I have to remember to stick it on recirculate :lol:

Nick, the cracked manifold has quite an impact on mpg. I thought mine was OK, but since having it done its definitely higher, only done about 100 local miles, just round town stuff and its indicating 45mpg, (I know that's not likely to be accurate, but useful for comparison}, prior to the manifold change the same type of journeys would have been around 40mpg on the drivers display. Best of all though, the smoking has totally gone, foot down, nothing to be seen in the mirror. Happy.

Good luck, hope it sorts your problems out once and for all.

i think mine is cracked too guys :( had it looked at when had the vsa module changed, but noticed fumes in the cabin recently funny thin is millage is at 76'400, so roughly in the millage region where it tends to crack, good thing iv got winter check booked with honda romford(really good bunch of guys by the way) on friday, so going to get it checked out!! im guessing it will start to lack in performance as the escaping exhaust fumes are not helpin the turbo spool properly????also engine seems more louder then before :(

Dude, if it has gone you need to get it sorted quickly.... I was really alarmed by the amount of CO getting pumped into the cabin... If you are driving around London then your gonna be sucking it in big time...

;) your right dan mate, the pollution level in london is high anyway, and also its cold :lol: , im glad abouit the winter checked,spoke to them regarding and the service manager agreed it needs to looked at a.s.a.p, sorry to hear about yours bud.

Cheers mate, I was so glad to get it sorted... II was gonna post some pictures of the old one, but the missus has driven off with it in the boot :blush:

Ok, no Honda striptease, but just got the car with the new manifold. It's much smoother now. And it was free.

hey guys had my winter check done, the service manager said as far aas the can see its not cracked,buuuuut there is soot build up, so they gonna change it :lol:

When I get these photos up you'll see the soot that is in there.... Enough to give the Petrol sniffers a coronary...

Oh boy, cars going in for the new clutch on Friday and this week I have been smelling something in the cabin. No it's not me, but the usual fumes you get from the manifold problem. Why does it all come at once. Taking it to Honda on Sat morning for a check and hopefully will be done under warrenty. Do all these ctdi 7th generation models get this problem?

I would say at some point yes, all ICTDI 7th gen's will suffer a cracked manifold. The extreme cold weather has probably accelerated it's demise. Same thing happened to mine over winter last year.

At least I got the heads up on the warrenty from you guys, thanks. I have serviced it myself since I have owned it, but it has only done 76k so hopefully there will not be a problem at my local Honda garage in replacing it. My buddy did say he could weld it up for me when he does the clutch, but a new one would be better.

As long as it's under 7 years old mate, with that mileage you won't have any issues with Honda.

Well, took it to Honda this morning and they did an initial inspection of manifold. They could find nothing wrong! These are the symtoms, starting from cold a strong exhaust smell. I need to open the window for the first couple of miles. When it warms up there is no longer a smell of fumes although sometimes when going slowly around a sharp corner, the smell comes back for a second or two again. Could the crack be hidden and only visible when you take the manifold right off? When the engine is hot, could the expansion of the metal seal up the crack? Could slow sharp steering twist the manifold on the engine, momentarily opening up the crack? I have got it booked in overnight for the next day at Honda again this week. Maybe when they start it from cold they will sniff the darn thing and take the manifold off for a fuller inspection. Has any other member had a hidden crack on their manifold, only visible when taken off. Thanks for any replies guys.

Simply sitting in the car with it stationary should show the problem. Monitor the CO build-up if you can... Other than that just be politely insistent.

Hi Dan, Sitting in the car stationary when cold certainly smells, as well as driving it slowly around the block also when cold. It just seems to go away when hot, stationary and moving? I am taking it back on Thursday night for them to look at it from cold Friday morning. I can certainly be insistent when I want to! I wonder if Honda will have a CO meter?

Not that the The Gas Safety (Installation & Use Regulations) 1998 amended some time or other, would approve of this as it is by no means a 100% reliable test, but you can get battery powered CO alarms with a digital display that gives a rough indication of CO ppm. Anything above 10 should be worried about. However, just because it is not set off do not ***ume all is OK - it is not what these things are designed for really; but fro £25 or so, and it can be used in the house afterwards - especially if you have a gas fire or open flued boiler. Or even more vitally a Flueless gas fire.

You can buy dedicated CO measurer, but I doubt it would be worth it for this. I was lucky in that I have £700 worth of fully calibrated combustion ****ysis kit for work.

I should point out that the above test is no substitute for proper testing in the domestic environment!

Sorry Dan/ I have just realised what a silly question that was, of course you can. Thanks for your help, I will source one tomorrow and give it a try.

I couldn't smell mine in the cabin but while under the bonnet one day had a sniff only because of reading this on the forum, smelt a bit of fumes but not much.

Took it to dealer they lifted bonnet had a sniff as well and part getting fitted when I can dig the car out, no problems at all.

Could this be the problem?? I have just read the section, cool features you never knew you had. On there a couple of the guys say that when the Hot Gas Heater System comes on in cold weather, there is a strong fumey smell till it warmes up. Mine is usually so strong I have to open a window. This is much the same symptom as I am getting and I have been ***uming it is a craked manifold. Anybody else had this problem.

Dunno mate, not had a sniff of fumes since the manifold was done.

Only had my car a couple of weeks but noticed a smell of fumes towards the end of last week, then yesterday after about a 25 mile journey i stopped at traffic lights and the smell was very strong and pretty unpleasant.
Ive spoken to the dealer and its in tomorrow for a check, not worth taking a risk as far as im concerned, they said theyre aware of the problem but usually on older accords, mines a 57 plate with 68k on the clock.
Was wondering if anyone with a later 7th Gen has had the problem?

Cheers

Paul

It affects all the ICTDI's as far as I can see mate.

Although there is a revised design, I think it is only fitted to warranty recall cars and not something that was fitted from the factory... or if it was, it's not a good revised design obviously.

Just to remind people, the revised design is a single cast manifold as opposed to the two cast design it replaces (the welds between the casts are what break and cause the leaks).

Still have mine in the boot - I will post pictures soon - Promise!

Had manifold checked today and its ok, technician thought the smell may have been the the stuff they cleaned the engine bay with before i picked the car up. Really good about it though, explained about the 7 yr warranty and said that if i did suspect it in the future just pop in as its not worth taking a risk and it would be sorted. So first encounter with the Honda dealer pretty good, lets hope they keep it up.
Had a good look round the new Accord too, very nice indeed.

Cheers

Paul