What's new

Exhaust fumes/smell in cabin I-CTDI

Well I suppose that I should be thankful for small mercies. ;)

Hopefully that should resolve the billowing smoke out the back of mine then! :D

Gutted for you though dan :lol: could always see if Honda would at least supply the part at a discounted rate?

I'm sure it's worth a conversation with Honda UK to see if they will subsidise it seeing as it's such a widespread issue. Failing that you could always have a reputable garage remove it and re-weld it all together.

Well, I spoke to HH this morning, and they were understandably not able to do anything to the car on the day... but they said they would diagnose for me and try and get HUK and/or my local dealer to help - so a big thanks to Dan in the service department and his boss in advance.

With this new problem coupled with a possible new battery for the car, two (at least) new tyres for both the car and the Tranny + the Tranny needs a new battery - AND my little blip in accountancy this month I almost had to cancel the suspension. But no, I have been looking forward to this for too long now!

Guys,

Just wanted to say a big thank you for the excellent information provided under this thread.

Noted fumes in the cabin at 70k, and immediately identified the problem thanks to the site!.

Had a meeting with the service manager in the dealership today, with a customer service issue. Turned out they had clocked the cracked manifold when the car was in having the headlamp replaced last week but the front desk hadn't told me! Happy ending though as the car is booked in for a new manifold next Monday. The service manager has also agreed to check the timing chain and any other warrenty issues.

Thanks again!!!!! :lol:

Good result, and you're very welcome.

My turn now, guys.

Yesterday I returned home from a trip of about 180 miles. Ok, left the car idling for 5 minutes to cool down and then parked it in the garage.

Then I noticed a small crack in the windshield of about 0.20 inch. Great.

While I was inspecting it, I heard a cracking noise that I never heard before. We hear cracking noises when the engine cools down, but this one was a little louder. Didn't gave much importance, because I was more concerned about the windshield.

Today in the morning I started the engine and there's a rattling noise. I open the hood, and there's smoke coming from the turbo area! Yes, smoke!

Took it for a ride, turbo seems fine so it's a cracked manifold for certain. And yes, I heard it when it cracked. How about that?

My car has now 65k miles and 5 years.Don't know about the warranty around here (Portugal) on this component. Let's hope it's covered.

If anyone knows if this warranty thing it's a global thing, I appreciate the information.

sad.gif

Are you sure its the manifold? Check the exhaust to be sure its not something simplier. I had the "flexible" joint go on a car and you could see the smoke underneath it and it was also coming up at the back of the engine bay. Don't know about the world wide warranty.

This TSB for cracked manifold is for the entire EU , there is are NO exceptions. The car is sold through of Europe and these TSB should be accessible by any Honda dealer in Europe.

Thanks Pepster! Great news!
This info will help me when talking to the Honda dealer.

Back from Honda dealer. The repair is covered. Let's hope Honda Portugal accepts the claim as I did the last maintenance myself, so no stamp in the book.

The dealer is waiting for the part to arrive. All seems good for now. It's now my 4th day of cracked manifold driving.

Just a little feedback about the car for you guys suspecting having a cracked manifold.

The first thing I noticed was the engine noise. You can really tell there's something wrong with the exhaust system. So, my crack should be a really big one, because I can hear the fumes coming out.

I don't feel any kind of the so called 1500/2000 rpm hesitation or aditional smoke. The only thing I noticed is that the car is more slugish at low revs. Oh, and smells really bad inside the car and probably the fuel consumption is going up.

When I get the service done, I'll post any differences noticed from the previous "normal" behaviour.

Well, I spoke to HUK on Friday, and there is no Honda Happiness coming my way.

I did try to argue the fact that the new part is a total redesign from the original, and that whilst I wasn't expecting full warranty cover, a contribution would be nice; but no, I was politely told to sod off.

Ce La Vie, the smell is getting quite bad now so it needs sorting. :lol:

Hi Guys,

Just picked up the Tourer with new manifold and really noticed the difference! Nasty wiff gone and a noticible improvement in performance, guess we got used to a gradual decline...

Thanks again for the excellent advice. :rolleyes:

Regards

Simon

They all seem to failing at once. I've just got back from Marshal Honda in Mountsorrel who confirmed mine is cracked too. I should know by later today or tomorrow that the warranty claim will be honoured, but they saw no reason why not, and expected to be able to do the work in about 3 or 4 days time. Is it all of us who had the bad smoking too?

Well, IU did a CO test and within 90 seconds of starting the engine and leaving the AC on with the car stationary I had 10ppm CO in the cabin at chest height on the passenger side. :rolleyes:

Honda Letchworth want £595 inc VAT and fitting. I am waiting to see if the local garage can do any better.

Fingers crossed.

Sorry to hear you will have to foot the whole bill Dan :rolleyes:

Cheers mate,

I am a bit miffed that HUK are not offering anything. I could understand if the new part was a direct swap, but it's not, it is a complete redesign. To my mind, that means we should get at least something for our woes. But what can you do, by the time you have fought and fought, the time wasted just isn't worth it. And big companies know this.

Dan, as discussed when we met, this isn't beyond the competence of a decent local garage to be honest. Instead of buying a new part, have them remove the old one and re-weld it all and dye test it for leaks.

Afterall it's the welds that have cracked anyway...

Cheers fellas - I'll give HH a ring tomorrow...

Faddy, I know what you're saying mate but those CO readings put a bit of a scare on me this morning (remember what I do for a living) I would much rather get a solid casting over a weld, and it is that difference in the two parts that rubs me a little the wrong way with the stonewalling I got from HUK. However, as I do warranty work for manufacturers and deal with very similar issues with boiler components I can see both sides of the story. Even to the point where I have and will subsidise an "out of warranty" repair myself on components that I personally feel should have been designed a certain way form the outset. I guess I like my job too much.

Speaking of which; today I finished my 2 day exam in a day after sleeping through much of the training days - yay! How many people here have to re-qualify every 5 years for their jobs? Boiler service anyone :D.

Will do mate... and for clarification I was using a combustion ****yser that is calibrated (well two weeks old) to BS7927 and can measure things down to well below what is required. Normally your domestic oven should never go above 90ppm during heavy cooking sessions in a kitchen. 10ppm is considered what is the safe maximum for a sealed gas burning appliance in a ROOM.

Imagine sitting in a contraflow on the M25 for an hour :D

My recirculation is now always on.
I'll have to wait until the 30th November for the service. But they are doing it for free.
biggrin.gif

Hi all,

Thought I'd let you guys know that i also have the cracked manifold issue. I took the car into Stratstone Honda (Bedford).
Caught just in time with 124,400 miles on the clock. They didn't ask for any service history evidence.
They confirmed it had cracked and put the claim through on Friday morning and had a call early afternoon to say that Honda would honour the claim and it is booked in for Wednesday.
This should clear most of my excessive smoke. I have a genuine fuel filter to fit as well. map and map sensor drying as I type so by the time I get the car back from Honda it will be like new(ish).

Thanks for all the advise and all the excellent threads everyone.

Sean.

I've just collected mine after the manifold replacement. No fumes on the couple of miles drive back home, apart from that smell you get from a new exhaust, which is reassuring and will pass after a few more miles. Opened up the bonnet when I got back and first thing I noticed was it is quiter, that was a nice surprise, but I think others mentioned this too. Drove well enough, but not long enough a trip enough to say anymore than that.

After a few journeys I'll know if the smoking has finally gone, but it I'm optimistic as it seemed to have gone after changing the frequency solenoid. I'm thinking that chapter has closed now.

Good stuff guys, yep cracked manifold can cause all sorts of strange problems. Your cars should feel up on power now too.

Actually just a quick anecdote to add to this. I have one of those drive recorders on my windscreen, (a 'Smarty' GPS), when the ignition is on the camera is recording. I got quite a few minutes of the car with the bonnet up and things being done before the job started properly, but afterwards when the job was done and bonnet down and they started it up again I got a wave from the guys in the wrokshop. They obviously saw the Smarty and decided to say hello! I did feel like a bit of a voyeur watching the recording back, I must admit.

Well I hope you got the obligatory Honda Striptease - it's part of the manifold repair :)

Well mine is in Honda Letchworth at the moment -we have a brand new 60 plate Jazz sitting out front... looks pretty enough, but the missus wants the Accord back ASAP.

I called HH, but I didn't get a call back until the following day and with the MOT up I HAD to get it in today. It failed the MOT only on the number plate lettering fading and a bulb. Still gutted abotu missing out on the warranty, but I would rahter have a safe car - looking forward to seeing if the manifold will improve the performance a little and reduce the smoking.

I have asked for them to leave the old one in the boot, so I will post some pics if anyone is interested.