What's new

Flywheel rattle...

hornyhonda

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord CDTi
Hi guys,

Yesterday the car started making a rattle noise when I dip the clutch and car is on idle. It seems transmission relation so im guessing its the flywheel. What im wondering is....

Can I change it without taking out the engine? Do I just remove the gearbox?
Also is it cheaper and just as reliable changing the flywheel out for a non dual mass? My understanding is that it is there to give a smoother power curve but im not so bothered about this.

Also would I need a special tool to fit a dual mass flywheel if I did decide to go down that route.

Thanks

The engine doesn't have to be removed to do the job.

I would stick with the original dual mass flywheel as the solid mass flywheel can cause extra vibration in the cabin sometimes.

Make sure you go for the revised Honda clutch part number 22105PGE325.

Honda only sell the 325 clutch now. The earlier clutch was pulled from honda parts and dealers when the 325 was released

Thanks for the reply Adam. I was about to start stripping the car down to get the gearbox off today but took it for a drive beforehand and low and behold the noise has gone which seems very odd. The clutch pedal has felt notchy before and occasionally I feel a ping or knock through the clutch pedal when depressing the pedal. From doing some more reading it appears the cruise control can affect the clutch pedal as the switch can jam up or the pedal have too much freeplay.

A couple of things I had in mind were greasing the clutch pedal thingy, I saw a how to guide from fahad about this and checking/adjusting the freeplay on the pedal.

Has anyone experienced this type of fault before? Ive been a honda guy all my life but this car is beginning to change that. It appears to be one problem after the other. My bet is if I fix this the turbo will go next :unsure:

I performed a clutch test by starting the car in 3rd and then tried again in 2nd and the car stalled showing the clutch as ok. I think its the flywheel but then im tunnel visioned on DMF paranoia recently lol I also bled the clutch fluid and that made no change.

I guess it could be the timing chain but then why would that change note when I dip the clutch at idle. is there a test I can perform on the flywheel of some sort?

Ok the noise started up again yesterday so I took it to a garage to ask what they thought. They confirmed it was the flywheel that had gone. He asked if the car shudders on start up which it does. Also the clutch pedal vibrates alot when this noise occurs. My girlfriend is due to give birth tomorrow so im going to use it to get to and from the hospital then after I'll have to strip it down to see whats going on before ordering the LUK flywheel and clutch off ebay. I was considering the CG motorsport SMF but it seems pretty pricey on comparisson.

Has anyone got any how to guides for changing or inspecting the flywheel?

Yes you need to check for play on full rotation, between 6-36mm is deemed acceptable by honda but if it's rattlinng then its shot.

Good luck with the impending arrival, hope it all goes well.

Thanks for reply Fahad. Do you happen to know why the flywheel rattle would come and go? It first made a noise about 2 weeks ago but drove fine. The next time I started the car there was no rattle or vibration through the clutch pedal. So basically its happened twice in roughly 2 weeks but other than that the car has been noise free. I didnt think this would be an intermittent problem as such.

Is a single mass flywheel cheaper than dual mass? I did a quick google and saw CG motorsports selling the SMF for £820 but was hoping there are other options available.

Cheers

Usually a smf is cheaper than a dual mass one, but the clutch is usually more expensive so it sort of balances out in the end. This is just cars in general not just the Accord.

I'm not sure why your noise is coming and going, possibly the clutch is trying to adjust itself up a bit. I would be tempted to keep driving it until the noise is there all the time, and I would fit a new clutch kit with the flywheel when you do it.

Thanks Dave, thats exactly the reply I was after :) I just wanted to know what would happen if I continued to drive it. The mechanic said the gearbox can go or damage can be done to the crank or both which kinda scared me a little. I wonder if its worth adjusting the clutch pedal up at all?

I have already bled the clutch after the first time I heard the noise but am tempted to bleed it again so basically all the fluid would be new and not just some.

Cheers

Could be failing springs inside the DMF. I wouldn't change to an smf setup you will lose the smoothness of the engine. The DMF is designed to absorb a lot of the vibration and resonance from the Diesel engine and without there is more stress on drivetrain.