What's new

H22 conversions

Jamjar15

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accords 1.8 and 2.0
New here and to accords but just bought 2, an 1.8 vtec sport and 2.0 se, are either of them more suited to h22 conversions? No very little about accords and preludes and only real deal with k, d and b series engines.

Are there any guides on here?

Not even sure if there are any differences between hatchbacks and saloons in terms of suspension/exhaust mounting points, looms, brakes so any advice or info would be much appreciated

Both are hatch aswell, also would the h23 with the h22 internals be the easier option as I believe they're the same blocks

Are you doing this yourself? If so crack on, otherwise its waste of time, better off just buying an Accord Type R. I can't comment whether the looms etc will work with the H22, but you can drop the H22 on either car with additional work required in other areas. There are differences in specs and cars, 1.8 has smaller brake discs I believe, the sport has stiffer shocks etc. Either way if your dropping a H22 in, you will also need to mod the brakes, suspensions etc to go with the swap.

Bit pointless dropping in a H22 into a normal Accord unless you are trying to avoid insurance costs?

As above, you need to upgrade the suspension, brakes and H22 will require additional work to fit it in, I would buy an Accord Type-R.

I spent long time looking into this conversion when I had my old 6th gen F20B6. If I'm honest, it's not worth it.

There's so much difference between the two that it's just not worth it. Sorry to pi55 on your cornflakes, but put simply, I wouldn't bother, just buy a type r, that's what I did.

There is a member on here that did the conversion and if I remember correctly, he said the same thing.

Reason was purely boot access, never seen a type r hatch buy after looking into the f20b6 looking like forced induction is the easier route, doing all the work myself, converted a d13 eg into a dc2 when I was 15 including making up my own loom so won't be phased by anything just want avoid making any custom parts or cutting away the chassis, built a b16 turbo a few years back and took about 2 hours from start to finish and heard these these have made 468whp on standard internals without issue

I also have this question, I live in the Netherlands and over here we don't have much facelifted 6th gen's. A couple years ago I found one with a 2.3 engine and manual transmission. I always wanted an ATR but we never did get the facelifted ATR. Now I can get a pretty cheap ATR from the UK but I have this crazy idea to transfer everything over to my car, benefits would be steering wheel on the correct side ;) climate control, Bose audio system with subwoofer and cruise control(hoping this is swappable). I would like to swap the engine and interior over so I have the performance of an ATR but with the luxery of a 2.3 (type-V called sometimes). Would this be possible or is it better/easier to find a JDM H23 engine and put that in my car?

The h23 is only about 5hp more than the f20, wouldn't be worth the effort imo

Just nail a supercharger to the 2.0

sjorrit said:
I always wanted an ATR but we never did get the facelifted ATR. Now I can get a pretty cheap ATR from the UK but I have this crazy idea to transfer everything over to my car, benefits would be steering wheel on the correct side ;) climate control, Bose audio system with subwoofer and cruise control(hoping this is swappable). I would like to swap the engine and interior over so I have the performance of an ATR but with the luxery of a 2.3 (type-V called sometimes). Would this be possible or is it better/easier to find a JDM H23 engine and put that in my car?
You can transfer bits over but you will miss out on actually owning an ATR, it has a completely different chassis to the normal Accords.

Putting in any H series into a normal Accord is pointless in my eyes, when you have an Accord-R done for you with a H22A7 available, I would just buy an ATR and enjoy it.

It's all about the hatch ;) chassis a bit more floppy but you can fit your fishing rods in with ease which makes up for it lol, did the atrs get the same treatment as the dc2 and ek9 with seem welded chassis and weight options

If i wanted 200+hp and to haul fishing rods, I'd buy a 2.4 gen 7 wagon and stick a type R head and gearbox in it.

Got to be an easier way than trying to make the love child of two different 6th gens.

Maybe you should consider transplanting an economical and low-carbon diesel engine into your chosen vehicle?

I recommend the Honda 2.2 i-CTDi.

I prefer cars that started production before around 98, with the exception of the 350z just because it's so fun to drive, too many wires and sensors in modern cars.

Back to the h22 ch7 though, the standard single pot 288mm brakes are have ample stopping power with decent disks and pads, and suspension and bushes are a must even on standard cars I think, wirings fairly straight forward in hondas, so as long as the engine mounts are the same can't see it being any more difficult than doing b series conversions into d series chassis etc.

Will be a bit of trial and error with shafts and hubs when using prelude vti donor but found honda dont tend to change there parts much so hopefully just slips together lovely

As soon as I can find a decent donor I'll put my money where my mouth is and you can laugh when fail miserably and cry a little bit

I think (and hope) that Jon was joking in #14 , but depending on if it would fit, it's not a totally mad idea ;)

Jamjar15 said:
Ps sorry for the essay and I hate diesels so not even considering that lol
I'll admit it was tongue-in-cheek, but nevertheless as sensible as any other transplant option this thread come up with!

If you're going to actually go to the trouble of fitting an 'alien' engine, then please do something really interesting like fitting a V8 (may also need conversion to RWD).

One thing you need to be sure about is, are you going to enjoy the process of installing the H22, or are you really after the end result? Swapping is alot of effort, and its only made easy if either you happy to blow money to pay for labour or enjoy doing it your self.

Lucky for me theres big support for H22 swaps into 4th gen accords. And for the record, the ATR isnt all that. In fact my swapped 4th gen is noticably quicker than a stock ATR.

Interestingly there are a lot of Honda and non Honda options if you are after a fast hatch.

Would take all the fun and glory out of it if I just gave someone money to do it lol. And wouldn't really consider it an alien engine as the h-series is an factory option in this chassis, anyone know the name of the guy that actually did this? Can't understand what part should be difficult

Just to get a insight to the type of person I am, I was the first person to use fiat coupe brembo 4 pots on macpherson strut toyota levins a few years back just to show it can be done :)

BlueVTEC is the name of the memeber who has done h22 swap/

Jamjar15 said:
did the atrs get the same treatment as the dc2 and ek9 with seem welded chassis and weight options
Yes, it has got a reinforced bulkhead and various chassis mods, its listed on par with DC2 as one of the best FWD handling cars. They handle superbly and totally different to normal Accords.

93 accord said:
. And for the record, the ATR isnt all that. In fact my swapped 4th gen is noticably quicker than a stock ATR.
Really? isn't all that? but off course you would only support your own car and whatever you done to it.

I would suggest driving an ATR again by the way.

I can see where 93 accord is coming from, I ***ume the atr would be more refined but after my bro rolled his dc2 we put the engine brakes and suspension on a civic eg and just felt better than the teg in terms of handling, acceleration and braking, think it's purely down to the lightness of older cars

exec said:
BlueVTEC is the name of the memeber who has done h22 swap/
Found his post and as much as he said he wouldn't do it again, it's as I expected with any engine transplant, basically a straight swap of everything which is simple but time consuming, didn't say what the donor was but I ***ume it was an atr rather than prelude which will definitely simplify things

Shuthan said:
Really? isn't all that? but off course you would only support your own car and whatever you done to it.

I would suggest driving an ATR again by the way.
Dont get all twisted up, I am just supporting the other side of the spectrum. The guy just wants to modify, not just buy a atr. And that i support. Along with the older Accords on this forum too. Becuase not many others will bother.