What's new

How do i improve steering?

Wilderman

Members
Reaction score
Car
Gen7 Vtec sport
The one thing that i feel really lets down my Accord is the steering. It tramlines, has very little feel and feels too loose/disconnected when thers no load i.e. driving straight ahead. Its been like it since ive had it and its gone through 2 MOT's with no advisories on suspension or steering joints so im ***uming theres nothing particularly wrong. Also theres no signs of uneven tyre wear so I doubt theres a tracking issue, although I cant say for sure as only had it checked once. I know Hondas arent known for having communicative steering but Im fairly sure it should be better then this. The frustrating thing is I remember reading a post where some one mentioned theres a certain alignment setting that greatly improves things but i cant remember who it was or where it was posted :wacko: So can any one help?

The 'alternative' alignment setting for tramlining 7th gens is merely the same setting, but with tighter tolerances.

edgeoftime said:
What size rims you running on?
Just the standard 16" wheels.

Im going to get the wheel alignment done but just wanted to make sure there were no 'special' improved settings before I went ahead.

My previous Accord felt a lot better on 17's than my current one does on 16's

Will make sure your tyre pressure are all correct.
Also if you get the car aligned get it done on a Hunter machine.

A lot of older and performance Honda's have some of the best steering available.

The lack of feel on yours is down to the 7th gen having electric steering! I have never come across an electric steering with any feel, they feel like computer game wheels. Obviously I haven't driven every car that has elec steering, so there might be some decent ones, but it will all be artificial feel. That's one reason why I stick with my 6g as it has excellent hydraulic steering, lovely feel and well weighted, I can feel the road underneath me, the steering for me is one of the most important parts of the car as that's your main control mechanism.

You're right, the nsx & integra/accord type r had good steering feel but in general I think Hondas loose out a bit when it comes to feedback. My steering is definatley hydraulic, I think its just the later model gen 7s that have electric

:wacko: I thought all 7g had EPS apart from Tourers which used hydraulics? They feel like EPS and what puts me off them. I ***umed all Honda's from around 2003 and onwards switched to EPS, the ep3 CTR which used EPS also used to get slated for its steering.

The old Preludes had great steering, the car mag writer LJK Setright used to swear by them.

Some 7th gens did have EPS but most had hydraulic.All 8th gens now have EPS

FWIW - my steering was slopping and the steering rack adjustment cleared that up no end! Not a difficult task to do, but made a massive difference to the overall feedback.

As for EPS being numb, I normally would agree, but my S2000 (with EPS) doesn't lack that feedback!

exec said:
The old Preludes had great steering, the car mag writer LJK Setright used to swear by them.
The steering on my 4th gen Prelude feels the best out of all the power steering equipped cars I own. It feels solid at speed and you get a lot of feedback from the road which is great. I never lose confidence when cornering in that car :)

The best steering feel out of all the cars I own/have owned is my Mk2 Golf and Mk2 Scirocco. Both had manual steering, and are great to chuck about on the twisties. Horrible to park though :lol:

The type s grades have hydraulic steering, though I thought the sport grades did too??

Also as said above a decent alignment will sort the worst of the tramlining woes...

I was under the impression all 7gs had EPS so was surprised when I got mine how good the feedback was. I have a type s so it would seem like I do in fact have hydraulic PS. It does tramline like crazy though.

Have to say, that's the first time I've heard anyone say that Hondas aren't known for good steering feedback. Fair enough the new Eps that's going into new Hondas isn't up to scratch but that goes for all manufacturers now. All Hondas I've owned with hydraulic PS were well ahead of the competition in terms of steering feedback.

All 7th gen cars have hydraulic PS, except for the entry level 2.0 SE model and the Euro-R which had EPS.

So, Type-S, sport, Diesel, EX, etc, are all hydraulic.

Mine's hydraulic. They replace the fluid at services, or I'm being duped by Honda :lol:

Just thought id bump this thread up again as ive finally got the alignment done. It was done at Christchurch Tyre Co on a hunter machine. One interesting bit of feed back I got was regarding the rear camber settings, I was told that if left as they were then it would cause wear to the inside of the rear tyres. Problem is you cant adjust the rear camber on the standard suspension so he recommended I buy a fully adjustable rear camber kit off ebay for £99. Any one reckon this is worth doing? Anyway, back to the steering feel/handling issue. Well I haven't had chance to drive it yet as my brother took the car in for me but ill report back as soon as I get chance to drive it.

You can buy the revised Honda rear camber arms and then you will get a perfect rear camber at 0, I have th revised arms from Honda and I have had mine done twice ona Hunter alignment machine and they have come back perfect each time...