What's new

How long has your clutch lasted

Nice! :D

I noticed some slippage today while driving on the motorway.
Downshifted to 5th and slowed to 50MPH and then put my foot down till 3.5k RPM and changed gear. Gears dropped to around 2k - 2.1k RPM and accelerated, not hevily but not gently either. Saw the speedo sit at the same speed but the revs climbed to 2.5k RPM and then dropped and felt the clutch "bite".
Left it in 6th for a wee while and accelerated hevily and no probs.

How long will this clutch last with normal driving?
I don't want to leave it too long, but I need a month or two to save up for the repair bill. :(

And it's my birthday at the End of March. :( :( :'(

Drive carefully and try not to use the boost and you might male it last. But get down ti your dealer and try your luck with the warranty.

Not worth risking the flywheel though!

Hi,

64500 Miles and just started to slip slightly under boost and hard acceleration. Booked in for 2 weeks time......hopefully no DMF :-( . Am slightly concerned as they quoted me £630 and when I mentioned the HH price of £585 said "Oh we will honour that" LOL they are a Honda Dealer!!!! (Yeomans Littlehampton). He immediately started going on about DMF possible replacement etc, to which I replied unlikely at 64K miles, and told him if so I wanted to see the play in the old DMF (I may need some help here :)

Ross.

Ross, that's about the same mileage mine went on. Can't see any reason the flywheel will need doing, I know Stoke is a bit of trek for you.. which dealer are you using?

Ask the service manager to give you and if possible, show you the freeplay in the DMF when the box is off. You can buy the LUK DMF far cheaper independently - Honda use the same part and seem to put a massive mark up on it.

Ross, that's about the same mileage mine went on. Can't see any reason the flywheel will need doing, I know Stoke is a bit of trek for you.. which dealer are you using?

Ask the service manager to give you and if possible, show you the freeplay in the DMF when the box is off. You can buy the LUK DMF far cheaper independently - Honda use the same part and seem to put a massive mark up on it.

Hi Fahad,

Yeah I think you are right, I have already said to them that I want to see it if they try it on with the DMF change! I am using Yeomans Honda in Littlehampton.

Regards,

Ross.

Nearly 100k. Just had an Elite stage 1 remap - WOW! It's like a different car now, so much more pleasurable to drive. Maybe it's a placebo effect, but I'm sure it has less of a 'diesel' clatter too.

I half expected for clutch slippage after reading all the threads on here, so to actually experience it after the remap wasn't too much of a shock. Still a tad dissapointed though.

Looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and take the car to my local Honda garage for a clutch. Should I come clean about the remap if they ask? Will it affect the warrenty on a new clutch?

Cheers.

I'm sure if you told them it would invalidate the warranty. The remap puts more strain on the clutch with the increased torque.

Yes of course it will invalidate your warranty mate. Who installed the remap for you?

Yes of course it will invalidate your warranty mate. Who installed the remap for you?

An Elite agent near me, called Darren based in Driffield did the remap.

When I say invalidate the warranty, I mean the warranty on a new clutch. My worry is having it done, then still getting clutch slip for whatever reason (shoddy fitting etc), then having Honda say "tough".

Don't tell 'em dude - simples.

49k miles and the clutch has just started slipping :(

Mainly motorway miles, no remap and the previous owner was Honda

The car is scheduled to go in for a service on Tuesday (I have also asked them to look at the rear brakes - the discs have already been replaced once under warranty!)

I'll ask about the clutch and the warranty (car is just under 3 years old)... fingers crossed

Too long, starting to get worried somethings wrong :lol:

sorry mate out of warranty not a hope mine was changed at 37k and 6 months out of warranty.

49k miles and the clutch has just started slipping :(

Mainly motorway miles, no remap and the previous owner was Honda

The car is scheduled to go in for a service on Tuesday (I have also asked them to look at the rear brakes - the discs have already been replaced once under warranty!)

I'll ask about the clutch and the warranty (car is just under 3 years old)... fingers crossed

Well... I now have a new clutch and no slipping! Am very pleased with the dealer and Honda who took a good look and replaced the clutch under warranty :D

Good oh!

Hi guys,

Clutch and DMF lasted till 112K no remap. I didn’t noticed the clutch slipping but the DMF was making an horrific noise, when we took it off there didn’t seem to be any damping on the DMF it just slapped back and forth in a rattley way. Was surprised the car still moved.

Fitted the new DMF and clutch and it all went quiet, happy days.

Cheers,

Huw

155K on original clutch as far as I can tell. I have a full detailed printout from the lease company owner detailing down to each bulb and no mention of a clutch anywhere on it.

I did find out from teh previous owner the car has led what is an almost idylic life, the first 130K was just trundling from London to Edinburgh twice a week. serviced on the nose with whatever it needed. from my ownership at 130K its daily workload is a 54 mile each way mainly motorway trundle. again, serviced on the nose. For a car it doesn;t get much easier. Properly warmed up every time, 5th gear, 2-2.5K revs, job done.

Mine is starting to show a little slip in 3/4th at 2.5K if I'm booting it but I reckon with gentle care i should get another 3-4K out of it before it needs doing. Only problem with that is that I want to get it mapped and I daren't till the clutch is done! :rolleyes:

Just a quick update on mine, now on 165K and its still going strong, only slips in 3rd/4th if I boot it hard so I'm going to see if it gets any worse under normal driving.

who want to run the book on how far I get before it packs up?

I'll go for > 180K :D

I have print out of history from new till I got it with no bill more than a couple of hundred quid. I spoke to previous owner who confirmed its never had a clutch that he is aware of.

it has always had a charmed life of just being a motorway muncher, previosu owner just drove from Slough to edinburgh and back twice a week so all motorway cruising, I do 54 miles each way to work, ~ 50 of which is motorway so again just sat in 5th @ 2.2K.

I drive with mechanical sympathy (i.e. no high rev slipping clutch starts, clutch fully released before being on power for all gear changes etc ) so very little time where there is any slipage between friction plate and flywheel which is when it is 'wearing'. When locked 1:1 there is no wear at all.

IIRC That bloke with the million mile volvo reckoned he got over 200K from a clutch as well so its clearly possible.

:D

Anything is possible guys, we're talking about mechanical items here that are being used in a variety of varying situations and there are so many variables to consider such as driving style, typical journeys etc that no two situations are the same.

What I will say is that if your clutch is already slipping.. then technically it hasn't really 'lasted' has it.

And you may well make it to 180k miles but those extra 15k miles may be the difference between needing a new DMF or not.

And finally... I would go out of my mind if I knew I couldn't drive my car properly because of a slipping clutch.

I do drive it properly... :D properly for me in this car is to get me to and from work as cheaply as possible, I have my motorcycles for my "fun". As mentioned my journey is 90% motorway so its not exactly a place where you can have much "Fun".......

IMHO Its lasted as it still performs the function its designed to do within the parameters I'm asking of it. As I choose to drive within what I know are its current limits thats fine by me. Am I worried about it damaging DMF? no, reason, as its only just slipping under full load its clear its no where near the rivets yet so it can't be damaging the flywheel surface, the sprung aspect of the DMF will not be affected by how much wear the friction plate has and is more likely to be damaged through heavy footedness in start-offs so my "gentle" nature is actually better for it that if it wasn;t slipping and I was driving with no thought to clutch life.

at end of day, I'm happy with the risk I'm taking ( and Risk ****ysis is something I do as part of my day job )

Ian, sounds like you know what you're on about so fingers crossed it holds out for you ;)

I have print out of history from new till I got it with no bill more than a couple of hundred quid. I spoke to previous owner who confirmed its never had a clutch that he is aware of.

it has always had a charmed life of just being a motorway muncher, previosu owner just drove from Slough to edinburgh and back twice a week so all motorway cruising, I do 54 miles each way to work, ~ 50 of which is motorway so again just sat in 5th @ 2.2K.

I drive with mechanical sympathy (i.e. no high rev slipping clutch starts, clutch fully released before being on power for all gear changes etc ) so very little time where there is any slipage between friction plate and flywheel which is when it is 'wearing'. When locked 1:1 there is no wear at all.

IIRC That bloke with the million mile volvo reckoned he got over 200K from a clutch as well so its clearly possible.

:D

Hopefully all the above is spot on, however, please note that there were quite a few clutches done under warranty and there is no paperwork given, therefore no real evidence to the consumer or future consumers that the clutch has been done or not.

Never the less, even if the clutch was replace circa 40k via warranty, then 125k is still impressive.

I got my clutch & dmf replaced @ 89,327 last December. I'm @ 100,593 now and it's slipping again! That's only just over 11,000 miles!

Last time it didn't cost me anything and they gave me a 1yr parts & labour waranty on the new one so I'm still covered but still, it shouldn't go within that time.

I rang them today and asked if I could get the parts so I could send them to the UK to get strengthened and they said that's ok. Any of you guys know where I could send the clutch to in order to get it reinforced or whatever?

Padraig, I know your car is tuned (not by us as far as I'm aware) it could be that the remap is just too strong for the clutch and also the last installation may not have been carried out properly i.e with the correct adjustments.

Right guys, I thought I'd do a little experiment to demonstrate just how easy a life my car has. This morning I drove normally but counted how many times I changed gear and braked. In the whole journey including having to stop at the lights on Simister Island( just missed them otherwise I'd have done 5 less!) I changed gear 18 times in total and of those only 2 were "set off's" in first gear. I also only braked 4 times in the whole journey......

it may pile on the miles but from a wear and tear POV its probably less than most people nipping to the supermarket!

:D :D :D

Padraig, I know your car is tuned (not by us as far as I'm aware) it could be that the remap is just too strong for the clutch and also the last installation may not have been carried out properly i.e with the correct adjustments.

Ya, perhaps there is too much torque going through it. No, wasn't done by yourself.

The lads at the main dealers said they've replaced about 10 clutches before and I'm the first one to come back. These guys are a main-dealer but they are very good.

It must be the torque going through it.

I can get a full change for free but I'm wondering if I'll be better off getting the new clutch (and pressure plate / DMF ?) reinforced before installing or just get an Exedy clutch set? I don't know, any opinions? I could nearly get a Stage 2 remap after that.