What's new

I-CDTI Engine cuts out when accelareting

Rroni

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord I-CDTI
Hi can anyone help I have 04 reg Accord I-CDTI Engine cuts out when accelareting

Hi Rron,

Welcome along

Is it all the time ?
Just when cold ?
Does it go into limp mode?
Does it smoke a lot?

Have you had it serviced, by a Honda dealership?

Do you know whether the fuel filter has been changed (this is one of the biggest causes of problems) ?
( Garages often say they have replaced it but by doing a little search on here for fuel filter you will find many people who have had to change their fuel filter. The reason is the filter is quite tricky to replace, although there are some DIY guides on here showing you how to if you feel capable. )

It could be a few things so really we could do with some more detail on the situations it arises in.

Hi Rron,

Welcome along. I would probably agree with Azz, Fuel Filter needs replacing every 25K miles and it needs to be genuine Hona part.

Think so too...

Hi CJM, it's not all the time I think it's only when accelareting fast (pressing the gas pedal hard) when I press the pedal normaly it will accelerate without any problems or if I take the foot of the pedal when cutin out and than continue pressing it slowly there is no problems. But last night I kept the pedal firmly pressed and the engine lost the revs and stopped, I had to wait 5 min then started the engine again that's when the engine management light came on. Today I wanted to take the car to a garage but the light disapeared (reset) it self.
Hi Rron,

Welcome along

Is it all the time ?
Just when cold ?
Does it go into limp mode?
Does it smoke a lot?

Have you had it serviced, by a Honda dealership?

Do you know whether the fuel filter has been changed (this is one of the biggest causes of problems) ?
( Garages often say they have replaced it but by doing a little search on here for fuel filter you will find many people who have had to change their fuel filter. The reason is the filter is quite tricky to replace, although there are some DIY guides on here showing you how to if you feel capable. )

It could be a few things so really we could do with some more detail on the situations it arises in.
[/quote]

yep as said above sounds like the first step is to get the fuel filter changed

noone realised this is in the wrong section, should be in amongst the wealth of info that is: "diesel faults"

As opposed to the road tax thread then?   :lol:

Hi, I had the engine checked by mechanic and the computer codes are : Fuel Rail Pressure to low and the other code Fuel rail pressure lower than expected can anyone help pls ???
Kind Regards

Fuel filter.

Yup, restricted fuel pressure due to a blockage. Just change the filter with a new GENUINE item from Honda.

Yep and the fault light went out as you would have started the car more than 3 times 30 seconds apart, if it doesnt register the fault again then the light goes out till the next fault.

FUEL FILTER! :ph34r:

Think it's the fuel filter by any chance?

Thanks to everyone for your time and respond.
Very helpful,
Regards

Let us know how you get on!

Hi all it was the fuel filter as you guys sugested. Thanks again to all of you

Rron, thanks for coming back to us.

I'm making this a sticky.. I have a feeling that this question will be asked a lot as the years go by :rolleyes:

Just a few times Fahad. Great result, glad its all sorted. Maybe I should try another FF :lol:

Good man Fahad as you said this fault will come up time and time again.Its a simple fault to solve the hardest thing is replacing the thing :lol:

Hi all- I am an exasperated newbie on here.
I have had glow plug light on and flashing -Honda said fuel rail pressure lower than expected-need new filter. Had a local garage do the filter-was ok for 3-4 days and 150 miles but then on hard acceleration went into limp mode. Got it checked and reset then cut out altogether on hard acclelration and engine management light came on. Went back to Honda who replaced new filter with genuine one, now no lights on but will not start if left for more than 30 mins without manual priming with rubber bulb under bonnet. Honda are at a loss. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

As already suggested in your other post, no need for Honda to be at a loss over something so simple. Just prime and bleed the filter properly, do it twice for good measure.

Air locks can be an utter git to remove - and I am a plumber! You would be surprised at the amount of effort and (in a measurable amount of energy) I have had to apply to shift a small amount of air out of a tinsy tinsy little pipe in order to get one frelling radiator to work.

Are our fuel filters pressure pumps in the truest sense of the word or glorified circulators?

Just wanted to add, i was in a sticky situation last christmas (wifey needed the Wagon for work) and had to buy a non Honda fuel filter on boxing day from a Halfords. almost 20k later and its still going strong.

Yes mate, non Honda filters can work if they're of a decent enough quality but on such a vital component and with no guarantee of quality - i would say it's simply not worth taking the chance.

As per my previous post - changed my fuel filter, and still having problems now and again starting. Will start after priming the system by hand though (well the one time it has happened since replacing filter earlier today!). A few more questions....

Is there a specific order to which hoses should be put back on to the filter???

What should the last action be under the hood - prime then bleed and finish? or Bleed then prime some more - then finish???

Sorry to sound stupid - but would just like to get this sorted and fixed!

Thanks for your help (again!).

Really you need to prime then bleed. The reason being that after you prime you are likely to push air back in to some pockets of the fuel/filter and it needs to be bled.

I always prime and bleed twice for good measure. Also ensure that your hoses have no kinks in them and are clipped into the white plastic clips that Honda have installed to ensure proper pipe routing.