What's new

I hate shopping for tyres!

After much searching I've finally decided to go for Vredestein ultrac sessantas 225/45/17 XL ZR

The thread pattern is one of the nicest I've seen and they have recieved top reviews online.
Getting them fitted this weekend :D

Considering them myself, will be interested to hear how you get on.

Just picked them up there now they look very nice! :)

I'll have them fitted on Saturday and get back with results and a pic or two

I'll be particularly interested to know how quiet they are as my Michelin Premacy are very noisy though the front pair are nearly down to the marker.

StuH - If you want quiet, I've just gone onto the new Pirelli P7 Cinturato, which has been getting outstanding reviews in the german tyre tests (note this is a new tyre, and not the same as the previous rather so-so P7). They are extremely quiet, soft-riding and roll far more easily than my previous goodyear eagle F1 Asymmetrics (granted, a very different type of tyre). For a comfort tyre I'm ecstatic with the performance of the P7 Cinturato. Time will tell on wear and winter performance, but in terms of noise and ride comfort it's definitely better than the Primacy (which I had before the Eagle). I got them from Pro-fit in oldham for £114 each inc vat, valve, balance, etc. Since you're in Lancs, I recommend Pro-Fit - far better than the likes of Krap-fit.

StuH - If you want quiet, I've just gone onto the new Pirelli P7 Cinturato, which has been getting outstanding reviews in the german tyre tests (note this is a new tyre, and not the same as the previous rather so-so P7). They are extremely quiet, soft-riding and roll far more easily than my previous goodyear eagle F1 Asymmetrics (granted, a very different type of tyre). For a comfort tyre I'm ecstatic with the performance of the P7 Cinturato. Time will tell on wear and winter performance, but in terms of noise and ride comfort it's definitely better than the Primacy (which I had before the Eagle). I got them from Pro-fit in oldham for £114 each inc vat, valve, balance, etc. Since you're in Lancs, I recommend Pro-Fit - far better than the likes of Krap-fit.

I'll do some research on them though asking round today threw up a name I would never have mentioned; Kumho KU31. I notice a member on here has gone for the same tyre.

The KU31 is a more sporting tyre - it was Kumho's equivalent to the eagle f1/toyo proxes market. It has been replaced with the KU39 now. However, it's not as much a comfort/touring tyre and not desperately quiet. Decent tyres though, I used to have KH15s on one of my old cars, and they were better in every way than the Pirelli P6000

well after much thought,ringing round for prices etc,
i have just had 2 michelin pilot sport tyres fitted at costco, for £237 (can remember when i used to pay less than that for a car,lol)
on the journey home (50 miles) i was really pleased,they are virtualy silent and being so new i was impressed with the performance. Paul.

Glad your happy with them - they grip well too.

I know it's too late, but just thought i'd say that apart from Toyo R888s' the T1-Rs' are the best tyre i've ever had on any car i've ever had.

Well I popped in to a local indy garage that we've dealt with for as long as I can remember and had a word with the owner, he swears by the Kumho and has them on his own cars so I'm having two fitted tomorrow to see. Tyres do my 'ead in :lol:

Here is what the tyres look like on. I thought they would have been quieter but they are no more noisy than the set I took off the car. The grip seems great and the thread pattern really stands out. Overall im pretty happy with them they are a very good tyre

5ous5z.jpg

2upg095.jpg

they are a fantastic summer tyre but in winter and snow they not very good at all. If you plan to have winter tyres and these for summer then that would be the ideal from my experience of having had the sessanta's for both summer and winter months.

When i bought my previous car a ford mondi the owner had just put on some new tyres. Well of course some cheap ones called Accelera. But they turned out pretty good. Good traction in dry and wet as well as stopping! They lasted 8k. The only downside was they where really noisy!

spoke to Costco today and the chap insisted 91's are ok. Michelin and Auto summut or other book confirmed it.

I've spoke to the garage who did mine and they insist 91 is fine, they've checked the books and the tyre manufacturer, I've done a check with the online retailers for the model and every single one says 91. I've emailed Honda to check with them.

Depends on whether you want to take the word of a garage who couldn't care less and don't want to admit that they made a mistake over honda's. That was a lesson I learned within a month of owning my first car when I had a tyre place order in the tyres I wanted. I went down, they took the wheels off the car, the tyres off the wheels and THEN said "oh, we've ordered the wrong size, but we've got these instead". Like I had a choice then...

Just bought Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 tyres and so far I'm very impressed.

I had the previous version (1) and they were OK apart from one tyre becoming "mishapen" which meant it was like driving on a 50p which was bizarre as I'd never heard of that happening before. Anyway, I bought these ones based on http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goodyear/Eagle-F1-Asymmetric-2.htm and initial impressions so far are that they are very very quiet with excellent grip. IMHO the Accord suffers from road noise but these tyres have made an incredible difference.

Not cheap though, quoted £115 a tyre but managed to cut a deal with a local depot (Belfast) for £320 for three including doing my alignment.

Obviously no idea on wear yet but I'll update when I do.

Just ordered 2 Kuhmo KU39 (94 XL) although I've read mixed reviews. hey ho

I've had the same Kumho's on now for 3000 miles on the front & very pleased with them so far. I've had Kumho's on my last 3 cars always wear very well. Prices have risen quite a bit recently thou.

currently loving the potenza re050's i have on at the moment, a major improvement over the falken fk452's. Really wanting to go for potenza re070's next time but unsure about the effects of fitting tyres with the 90 load index opposed to the 91 we're supposed to have as standard. From a legal point of view i think if i can prove i have shed 60kg (15kg per corner) then it should be ok but legalities are a pain in the buttocks... :huh:

Oz yes totally agree. ANY way insurance companies can wriggle out not paying - they'll do it. Oh you've sprayed your wing mirrors electric pink? Sorry sir we can honour your policy as you didn't declare that mod.....
ph34r.gif

another vote for Kumho KU31s. Not especially quiet but the performance and lifespan per £ is unbeatable!

Garage phoned me today as failed MOT due to worn tyres. They said the Michelins were very expensive and would I like cheaper Pirellis or Toyos. I know jack about tyres but appreciated the fact they were saving me money. Sure they will find things on the service though to charge for :lol:

Just had the Kuhmo KU39 fitted on the rear, got them through Blackcircles. First impressions are that they are quieter than the Michelins I had on, not massively but they din't seem to have a horrible resonance that the Michelins produced at certain speeds.

Just had the Kuhmo KU39 fitted on the rear, got them through Blackcircles. First impressions are that they are quieter than the Michelins I had on, not massively but they din't seem to have a horrible resonance that the Michelins produced at certain speeds.

Did the same as you on Thursday, again via Black Circles, I feel the same as you that they are quieter than the Michelin, although I've still got Michelin on the front. Now it is just seeing how they wear and perform.

Any updates on the tyres mentioned previously?

I'm currently looking at these options:

http://www.tesco-tyres.com/order/tyres/search

Any blinders in there?

Cant fault the Kumho's so far, the KU39s have really improved the handling plus they're much quieter than the Michelins they replaced. Cant see anything from your link but my mate had Hankooks fitted through Blackcircles/tesco on his CRV and he rates them.

Cant fault the Kumho's so far, the KU39s have really improved the handling plus they're much quieter than the Michelins they replaced. Cant see anything from your link but my mate had Hankooks fitted through Blackcircles/tesco on his CRV and he rates them.

Hmm i have noticed the khumos on the man site - are they reflective of their quality as the mid ranges are as expensive as some of the premiums?

So far I can't fault the quality of the Kuhmo's, they're a big improvement over the Michelins they replaced. Probably the biggest change I've noticed it the grip; I can really throw the car around with confidence now. Over the years I've always gone for the 'premium' tyres and I really think what I have now are easily a match for the best I've had.