What's new

Is it worth getting Stage 1 Re-map?

whiteboy

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2.2
Firstly I would like to say how useful this forum is, especially for people like me who are not particularly technically minded! Since I stumbled accross it I have learned loads, anyway please be gentle with me as this is my first post...

I have a 2005 diesel accord with close to 150 K on the clock (probably mostly motorway miles done by previous owner) and am keen to unlock the full potential of the car. By all accounts the Stage 1 Remap by Elite is well worth doing for a couple of hundred pounds.

Just wondering what the general consenus would be? Is the car too old / high mileage to make it worthwhile being remapped?

Welcome to the forum mate.

150K for an Accord isn't that high, but obviously diminishes its resale value somewhat. Therefore, with a very low resale value, I say do what you like with the car and drive it until the wheels fall off. In which case drop Fahad a message and get a Stage 1 remap you won't regret it ;) . I'm a petrol man, but all I read is how people love the remaps with the DPF Delete (or whatever it's called). A number of people go for the Stage 2 after a while.

Only thing to consider, also from what I've read, is the extra torque wearing out the clutch sooner. Now the clutches aren't super in the Accord anyway, and they tend to go earlier than people would like. It's a no brainer though. Increase the power and torque of the engine and you'll go through a stock clutch quicker as it's designed for a certain purpose and you're arguably loading it heavier than it likes. But if/when it finally goes after the remap, replace it with a sport clutch designed for higher figures. The cost is relative I believe, as the OEM can be quite pricey. So in all, I doubt it will do any harm and should greatly improve your fun driving. Also, from what I understand, if you don't hammer it all the time the economy is improved also.

But like I say drop Fahad a message. He's a top bloke.

Welcome to the forum mate.

150K for an Accord isn't that high, but obviously diminishes its resale value somewhat. Therefore, with a very low resale value, I say do what you like with the car and drive it until the wheels fall off. In which case drop Fahad a message and get a Stage 1 remap you won't regret it ;) . I'm a petrol man, but all I read is how people love the remaps with the DPF Delete (or whatever it's called). A number of people go for the Stage 2 after a while.

Only thing to consider, also from what I've read, is the extra torque wearing out the clutch sooner. Now the clutches aren't super in the Accord anyway, and they tend to go earlier than people would like. It's a no brainer though. Increase the power and torque of the engine and you'll go through a stock clutch quicker as it's designed for a certain purpose and you're arguably loading it heavier than it likes. But if/when it finally goes after the remap, replace it with a sport clutch designed for higher figures. The cost is relative I believe, as the OEM can be quite pricey. So in all, I doubt it will do any harm and should greatly improve your fun driving. Also, from what I understand, if you don't hammer it all the time the economy is improved also.

But like I say drop Fahad a message. He's a top bloke.

Thanks for the reply Steve.

Yeah unfortunately the clutch is already slipping and needs doing. I have read on the forum about the CG motor sport 25% uprated "Organic Clutch" which sounds interesting.

Does anyone know the difference in fitted price between the standard clutch and the CG motorsport one?

Get yourself a replacement OEM clutch then get yourself the Stage 1 with EGR delete and you'll never look back dude.

As a member who has had two very successful remaps, both of which done by Fahad and premier tuning, I for one love every minute of it. Same dilemma as you with the clutch, had it changed and all is fine.

I currently have a stage 1 egr delete (which is a very good solution as the Accords suffer from clogged EGR valves) and have done nearly 40k on my new OEM clutch which was fitted by Holdcroft Honda. However if I had to change the clutch again I would go for the CG Motorsport clutch for sure. Better to be safe right

Speak with Fahad (F6HAD) and he will discuss further. I'm sure 90% of the diesel Accords on here have at least a stage 1 remap and no one has complained.

Nick, if you want to unlock the potential of the engine then a quality remap is the only way. At 150k miles, I would just check for obvious things like the health of the turbo and switiching off the EGR is probably a good idea anyway.

I carry out a complete healthcheck with every Honda remap now so we can carry out some functional tests on your engine.

I don't know the price difference but i had a customer yesterday who'd just come from CG after having a paddle clutch fitted to his Civic and he paid £875 all in (inc DMF)

Drop me a line.

I would recommend it. The stage 1 map is a very sensible tune - it is not blazing fast by any means but definitely makes the heavy accord more enjoyable to drive.

Personally I would recommend against the CG clutch if you are only going to do Stage 1. There are many people who say the CG Clutch is too jittery for in-town driving and at least for me the replacement Honda 325 clutch has been holding Stage 1 tunes (both celtic and premier) for a year now with no sign of slip. I think you really need the CG clutch if you go Stage 2.

Thanks for everyones comments and thoughts I feel a lot more comfortable making an informed decision.

Just bracing myself to wipe out my bank balance!

I've seen a couple of 325 clutches starting to slip on Stage 1 recently guys.

I think CG do a normal uprated clutch too now, best check with them. Speak to Linda and tell her her Fahad sent you.

personally I would say if you're going to do a clutch and tune, just do a paddle clutch and go straight to stage 2. Job done.

F6HAD - When are you back down South/South East as looking to get the Stage 1 + EGR Off Remap done on my iCDTi Accord now. Drop me a line at some point. Thanks Ben

Hi all,

As the owner of a 2005/144k miles tourer I would be very keen to have the benefits of a performance-enhancing remap. The advantage of EGR deletion appears obvious in terms of both performance and reliability/repair, but what I can't quite get my head round is how come Honda themselves didn't simply map the i-CTDI ECU using the 'best possible' performance settings? Presumably they have access to top programmers and the necessary finances and - over the lifespan of the engine utilisation - could/should have upgraded the performance to make their vehicles more attractive to the buying public. Other than overloading the already weak clutches unfortunately fitted as standard to these engines (mine's been slightly slippy for years!), what other compromises must be accepted following a remap? (I guessing economy, power band compression, accelerated turbo wear, increased turbo lag, but I don't really know). I've read many positive reports on re-mapping both here and on the Civinfo website, but it would be interesting to hear from a knowledge person who can explain the possible (and actual) downsides to remapping, which may explain why vehicle manufacturers seem to err on the side of not maximising the performance potential of their engines.

Jon

Jon,

it's a fair question, and one asked many times of me and of many others and discussed on many forums.

To know the actual answer, you would need to ask the manufacturer.

In my own opinion it's down a to a number of factors including reliablility (manufacturers tend to leave around 40% power reserve in turbo engines and some 20% in NA), emissions compliance and of course product placement. So if you make very powerful, economical, tax efficient turbo diesel cars - what happens to the market for petrol cars?

Also consider that many manufactures sell the same cars across the continent with different power outputs, but using the same physical mechanicals. And to compound the argument further, quite a few will offer 'power upgrades' via software upgrades for a sum normally of around £1200+VAT (with the difference being that their upgrade will not invalidate your manufacturer warranty).

The tuning is only as good as the tuner that developed the software..

Hope that helps somewhat. if in doubt, keep reading and searching and asking questions.

Highly recommend the remap. I havent really tried stage 1 but went for the stage 2. Big difference from stock and fuel efficiency isnt distorted either.

Highly recommend the remap. I havent really tried stage 1 but went for the stage 2. Big difference from stock and fuel efficiency isnt distorted either.
On my old 7th gen i had stage 1 and the fuel efficiency was much better with more power.

personally I think Its money well spent in the long run. Also helps with everyday driving. The torque.at 2nd gear puts a smile on your face :)

I ***ume if you had this done and then went to Honda for a new clutch at a later date they wouldn't refuse as you have a non Honda modification done?

Andy

I ***ume if you had this done and then went to Honda for a new clutch at a later date they wouldn't refuse as you have a non Honda modification done?

Andy
If you're paying for it then they're not going to refuse to take your money. You can't 'see' that a car is tuned, but a tune could conceivably effect the warranty on the clutch.

Fahd,

Any plans to pop down to London or southeast??? Have 58 FRV 2.2 CDTI and interested in staage 1 and EGR delete ??

Yes of course, as discussed - will be in touch

Well, i was with 'a friend' ;) while he had his done and all i can say id that Fahad is a really nice chap, he knows his stuff very well and what an all round fantastic improvement its made to the car.

as covered before, Fahad did a full check on the car and re set up the injectors ( im sure thats what he set up!!!! :blush: ) before he installed the re map and its nice to know that 'my friends' car is working fine and has no issues.

Te remap has truely transformed the car. its just easier to drive as the throttle response has improved and the extra power makes it easier to pull out of short junctions. As a bonus the economy has gone up as well. ( but that is only when your not givivng it the beans!!)

I would definately reccomend Fahad's service and i have done already!

Maybe one day i will have it done to my car!!!! ;) B)

LOL nice one James - I'm glad 'your friend' is happy ;)

Faddy FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B) B)