What's new

Looking for a 2.4 Auto Tourer

i would give a chance to the 2000 one, even if maybe it's too good to be real.....
check very well the fluids, gearbox, the boot to close fine, the brakes, handbrake, engine sound, to have 2 keys, to see if the auto leaving is working and of course the MOT, fsh and last service...
anyway if something is wrong (let's say not the gearbox) with £500 you can cover by replacing with new/sh parts!
just check well and take your time, at least 2->3h to check everything!

also in the same time i would give a chance to marvin to prove what car he has! i think he doesn't bite! less miles, i think he has a good price...lets see the car!

looks good, firstly its almost 11 years old. you are not going to be getting a brand new car, all the issues above look par for the course tbh.

once you get a car like that give it tlc and bring it up to the condition that you need, its what i did with mine.

as long as the service checks out would not worry too much

take it on the motorway and drive it hard through the gears, red line it.

should pull without effort and no vibrations.

get the MOT and let us know.

Oh yeah I'm not expecting it to be 100% mint and TBH it's in much better condition than I would expect for a car of that age/mileage.

There are 2 things concerning me, the major one being the low coolant level. The coolant is green and from what I've found should be good for 120k miles. He topped it up with water when I mentioned it so I think a flush and new coolant would be a good idea, maybe change the stat at the same time. The battery is the other one, he's had the car for a while and keeps starting it with a booster pack so it's probably had it. Jap batteries seem to be underpowered so would a Bosch be a good replacement, will this one fit - http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/Honda_Accord_2.4_2003/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/electrical/car-battery/?444770147&1&5b69b2e0f47ac8a81ab084dc49e57cb0c8d67a91&000020

Once he's rung me to tell me about the MOT I will go down for another drive on the motorway.

That black one is identical to mine apart from mine has the Epsilon alloys and a DVD disc. ;)

Oh, and only 80k on the clock.

The problem I have with buying privately is my budget is strict unless I get a loan, which I don't really want to do as it would be for such a small amount to make up the shortfall. Plus I will get some kind of warranty with a trader as well. I have sent you another PM about your car though as I would like to see some photos of it.

Do you know what the alloys are called on the car I saw?

i would give a chance to the 2000 one, even if maybe it's too good to be real.....
check very well the fluids, gearbox, the boot to close fine, the brakes, handbrake, engine sound, to have 2 keys, to see if the auto leaving is working and of course the MOT, fsh and last service...
anyway if something is wrong (let's say not the gearbox) with £500 you can cover by replacing with new/sh parts!
just check well and take your time, at least 2->3h to check everything!

also in the same time i would give a chance to marvin to prove what car he has! i think he doesn't bite! less miles, i think he has a good price...lets see the car!

The thing is it's a 2 hour drive from me and I've emailed twice asking for more photos - had nothing back. They dropped it £500 in the first week of advertising and I've never known a trader to do that unless there's a problem. It's made me weary about that car now, it's the same price as the blue one I saw, which wasn't great, especially when compared to the black one.

I wish I had 2-3 hours to check everything but I managed to check most of the black one in an hour. Some other people came after me to look at a Corsa and spent no more than 5 minutes looking at it before going into the office to talk about buying it. I guess if you don't know anything about cars you don't really know what to check but you can do the basics at least.

battery and a coolant flush is no big deal, replacing a thermostat and giving the coolant a refresh is always a good idea on a car that age.

Its hard to get 2.4 accords alright, within travel distance. The one i got was the nearest i seen back when i was looking.

I would not bother with any seller who does not contact you about a car, its 2013, email and phone calls should be straightforward when it comes to selling cars.

when you look at that accord again check the service stamps, the accord can take alot of abuse, but it still needs servicing.

also check the vin that it corresponds to the v5.

battery and a coolant flush is no big deal, replacing a thermostat and giving the coolant a refresh is always a good idea on a car that age.

Its hard to get 2.4 accords alright, within travel distance. The one i got was the nearest i seen back when i was looking.

I would not bother with any seller who does not contact you about a car, its 2013, email and phone calls should be straightforward when it comes to selling cars.

when you look at that accord again check the service stamps, the accord can take alot of abuse, but it still needs servicing.

also check the vin that it corresponds to the v5.

Good advice mate :)

I completely agree about the emails - I either emailed using the details on their website or via autotrader and put my number on all of them - only 2 traders got back to me. Yes people say why not just ring them but why should I when I've contacted them via a method they've used to advertise the car and contacted them using a means they have advertised. What they don't say is don't expect a reply - business must be good then!!

Where abouts is the VIN, is it the passenger side strut tower - I think I saw it there?

Another thing I've been reading about is this sat nav is alot don't seem to like it - gives rubbish directions, the lens stops reading (which is caused by non genuine discs), the disc jams. I have seen the fascias that replace the DVD drive so you can fit a single DIN unit there. If I were to do this can you keep the existing radio as well as the other unit? Does removing the DVD drive affect the screen and any of the functions?

Any thoughts on this one - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201311139878733

I'm not going to buy it but seeing that is has FSH and 1 owner after the dealer, means it should be pretty sound for a cheap runabout if you don't mind the cosmetic issues.

Nop....it will be rusty and to many miles
rich i know you told that you want from dealer but its more important the fsh, seller, car itself than the dealer warranty...
you buy a car not a dealer warranty...it's honda and it's pretty reliable or more than a diesel...to worry to much for warranty
so, take a good look on ebay in the next 1/2 months and i'm sure you will find a good car.

187 is high mileage. I mean the car will soldier on, but it will need a fair few bits done and you could get much less mileage for the same money. When my car's that high mileage, I don't even expect to be able to give it away :lol: .

rich i know you told that you want from dealer but its more important the fsh, seller, car itself than the dealer warranty...
you buy a car not a dealer warranty...it's honda and it's pretty reliable or more than a diesel...to worry to much for warranty
so, take a good look on ebay in the next 1/2 months and i'm sure you will find a good car.

No not at all of course I will consider buying privately and the warranty is just a bonus, I hopefully wouldn't need to use it either but it's nice to have it there.

I have been checking ebay and autotrader everyday for the last 2 or 3 weeks. If you can find a 2.4 auto tourer for £2-£2.5k then please show me, I don't think I have found any. If I have they would've been 200-300+ miles away and I just can't be bothered to travel that far for a car of this value.

I am going to have a look at the black one again tomorrow and take my torch this time so I can check the suspension etc, it's suppose to be dry as well.

I will also take it for a longer test drive to check for vibrations. If the driveshafts do need replacing on these how much are they?

187 is high mileage. I mean the car will soldier on, but it will need a fair few bits done and you could get much less mileage for the same money. When my car's that high mileage, I don't even expect to be able to give it away :lol: .

For a workhorse it would be fine but I want something that looks nice with less mileage as I intend on keeping this car for a while :)

drive shafts are expensive.........

very expensive.

you need to drive it briskly through the gears, up to the red line, 1st to 4th... get up to 70mph, should be rock solid. no vibrations.

i had drive shafts put on mine, got them from the usa, since then its going like a bomb.

its not the end of the world if it needs them, it will give you haggle room.

check air con also, if that doesn't work could be a number of things, a compressor is not cheap if its needed.

the best thing about these petrol accords from a second hand purchase is the engine, they really are robust and once they got oil and servicing they can soldier on as steve says.

its worth waiting for a good 2.4 as i love taking mine for spins to no where in particular just for the ride..!

who cars about petrol costs...

:lol:

for 2.5k i think you want a bit too much tbh, if you want a well looked after k24 with not so high milage you will have to pay a bit more.

any ones going for less will more than likely need work, and/or have higher milage.

bearing in mind the price of parts its worth spending 3k or even a bit more to get a good one especially if you intend to keep.

I'll do a search for them, see how much I could be looking at if they need replacing, whether that's now or in the future. Is this a common problem?

The air con is icey cold, I had already checked that so no problems there :)

Pointless drives are fun, I used to do alot years ago but not so much now with the cost of fuel! :lol:

lots of us folk here can advise you on a purchase.

as for drive shafts, its a common enough problem i think, high revving engine, almost 200hp thru the front wheels.

as long as the test drive works out would not worry about them too much.

let us know about that black one, it prob is covered in swirl marks too, black is a bad colour.

but good when new.. :huh:

When I first viewed it I rang them and said I would be 5 minutes. It had been raining 10 minutes before and when I got there a woman was just running a rag over the bonnet and I could see polish residue on it. When I tested the washers the whole bonnet went white!! :lol: :rolleyes:

I am into my detailing (I'm not OCD about it) so should be able to sort it out, I've had black before so know they're hard work, especially soft Jap paint! Luckily our Civic is a light green colour so doesn't show swirls easily.

Hi Rich, have you had any luck with your search? I'm in the same position as you, been looking for an Accord for what seems ages, I've been looking at the same cars as you too, waiting for the dealer to come back to me with info on the black one you viewed.

i'm sure you know but ebay and autotrader have a lot...offers
you must have patience until you will find the right one!

Hi Rich, have you had any luck with your search? I'm in the same position as you, been looking for an Accord for what seems ages, I've been looking at the same cars as you too, waiting for the dealer to come back to me with info on the black one you viewed.

I've just been emailing him, are you sure you're not him! ;)

The MOT passed on it but an advisory on the ball joint. The upper ones have been done so it must be the lower and they are expensive to replace!!

No I'm not him honest :lol:

He does seem a bit slow in his responses, I was going to view this at the end of the week, so if you decide to buy it any chance you could let me know ;)

Also I have been in contact with Honda UK about the history of the cars I'm looking at and this one does have full Honda history up until this year.

No I'm not him honest :lol:

He does seem a bit slow in his responses, I was going to view this at the end of the week, so if you decide to buy it any chance you could let me know ;)

Also I have been in contact with Honda UK about the history of the cars I'm looking at and this one does have full Honda history up until this year.

I am going for another test drive on Thursday or Friday.

How do you contact Honda about checking the history, I didn't know you could do that?

How much are you looking to spend on one? Based on ebay sold prices they sell for between £1.5-£2k so I still think this one is overpriced even with the history. The fact it will need both ball joints replaced (the other side will go soon enough) means it'll need a few £££ spent doing those. I think they need to be pressed in but can't find much about them. The battery is also knackered so that needs replacing.

I am going for another test drive on Thursday or Friday.

How do you contact Honda about checking the history, I didn't know you could do that?

How much are you looking to spend on one? Based on ebay sold prices they sell for between £1.5-£2k so I still think this one is overpriced even with the history. The fact it will need both ball joints replaced (the other side will go soon enough) means it'll need a few £££ spent doing those. I think they need to be pressed in but can't find much about them. The battery is also knackered so that needs replacing.

I emailed Honda and they replied with this number 0845 200 8000, I gave them the reg and they reeled off the history for me including the mileage at the time.

My budget is £1000 plus my car, which is annoying due to the variance in p/x prices I have received.

Surely with the present faults they will knock some money off for you.

Thanks I will use that in the future if I need it.

He would knock abit off when I went 2 weeks ago but not much, he refused my offer at the time. With the ball joints needing to be done and the fact he has had the car for almost 3 months means he might go lower now. My next offer will be lower than the last one now I know about the ball joints - I'm sure he will be chuffed with that! :lol:

He can't expect to just knock £200 off the price when it needs new balljoints, a battery and a coolant pressure check - the level was below minimum and he didn't even realise! The DVD isn't real and the drive can't read it. I'm not sure if that's the disc or the drive itself at fault.

I would rather spend £1,500-£1,800 on one (still with some history) and spend the money I save replacing all the balljoints and bushes than spend more on a car that still needs work.

Phil, have you seen this car or made any enquiries about it?

The price has been jumping up and down for the last week or so.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201311129860888

the one in the last link looks ok even if it has almost 140k, but there are the same rules of checking even if it has 70k or 200k...depends a lot of the condition of the car...
how you saw, seeing a tourer already the price reveals some hidden work to do but you know now what to look and where when buying a honda... or you should be able to, after 5 pages and a lot of advice...
sorry, but again, another topic which is going nowhere...just for conversation...
good luck in finding the right one!
cheers

Phil, have you seen this car or made any enquiries about it?

The price has been jumping up and down for the last week or so.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201311129860888

Hi rich I rang to enquire about this one last week, the man I spoke to said it was a private sale when I asked, so it put me off as I need a p/x, I found it on gumtree, it even says private seller there, but trade sale on Auto trader?

Hi rich I rang to enquire about this one last week, the man I spoke to said it was a private sale when I asked, so it put me off as I need a p/x, I found it on gumtree, it even says private seller there, but trade sale on Auto trader?

I've noticed he has been selling a few cars and most of the ads are listed as privately but some trader like you say. I think he's trying to avoid trader responsibilities so selling as privately owned. I have never seen the price of a car go up and down as much as this one in the space of a week.

Have you seen the black one yet, did he reply to you? I'm going down there this afternoon for another test drive.

Yep it was :) Did you book a test drive cos he said he had someone from up north coming tomorrow?

What one did you get?