What's new

LPG or Diesel? which is more efficient? opinions please.

Kris81

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord executive K24
What's people's opinions on lpg as for economy?

I have a k24 which I average 33mpg on momentum 99 getting about 430 out of a tank. With a mixture of motorway and little town.

The reason I ask is i may be starting a new job which is 560mile round trip a week, 2 straight runs of 280 miles.

Am I better of getting a diesel accord or put lpg in my car that I know and trust (owned for 15months)

Please discuss.

I vote for you getting an LPG conversion. That way you get to avoid having to sell your current car and buy a replacement... there is usually an unfavourable differential cost when doing this which could be saved and used to fund the conversion. And you'll end up with a car that is even cheaper to run than the diesel equivalent. And you'll also avoid the high risk of buying a secondhand car with a problem (cars are usually sold with some faults).

i have a cl9 running lpg for around 4 years...my car is remaped ,full exhaust system and intake,i get 210 miles to a tank of 35ltrs of gas.(£25)
around 29mpg..mostly B roads and a little town driving.its great i love it.very cheap car to run..only problem is finding an lpg fitter you can trust....

the kit on my cl9 was fitted in poland...its not a fancy kit,or expensive.but it has been reliable and done the job perfectly so far

some people will say dont do it,it can cause valve seat recession...you can add flash lube to help prevent it(£250-£300).but i have 116k miles on my cl9 around 70k on lpg with no problems.and no flash lube..i have tested my compression and have 200 psi in all 4 cylinders.

i wouldnt sell my lpg cl9 for an accord diesel.

but you will need to way up the cost of fitting lpg

and you get £10 off your yearly road tax bill.lol

That would be my preferred choice if I'm honest, I love my car.

Anyone know any rough prices before I start trawling the Web, lol

my K24 is also running on LPG, no problems whatsoever, the system is AEB MP48 OBD (think it's called KING OBD in UK), flashlube and barracuda injectors with LPG blue filter
much cheaper than petrol/diesel, but the initial investment is a bit expensive
there are many LPG stations across europe too :)

every fitters price will be different....if the fitter sounds to good to be true...find someone else...ask to see other cars he has worked on..make sure it all neat and tidy.and speak to the car owner

my advice when finding the right kit for you is,make sure the software can be tuned upto 8000 rpm...

my lpg system is landirenzo IGI supermagg and the software can only be tuned upto 6000 rpm.so i have no idea what lpg parameter are being used when i rev to 7500...even tho it still works

To be pedantic.... Diesel is mor efficient :) LPG is less energy dense than petrol IIRC. Just its cheaper and cleaner.

I would do the maths on converting to lpg. But see how you go just paying for the extra petrol. If you get extra miles running 99 over 95. If its worth paying the premium over 95. Then you,ll know if you want to swallow the extra cost or go for the conversion.

I definitely get better mpg using 99, and a better drive.

My app on my phone calculated that it would be £90 round trip on petrol. And this is gonna be every week hopefully for years to come.

The app is a mpg app I've put in every fill up for over a year so should be pretty accurate.

Working on cl9s numbers it would cost me £30 to do 286 miles with gas at 59p a litre which it is near me.

So £60 to work and back versus £90 petrol a week.

The savings would soon rack up in think.

£750 saved in the first year.

^ on that basis you should be in profit half-way through the second year.

This debate crops up now and again (not as frequently as other topics), and IIRC there was a thread a long time back where someone in the UK said that a professionally done system in the UK is £1200.

also you will still use petrol.i use 1 gallon petrol for very 1 tank of lpg.as the car starts on petrol then changes to lpg when warmed up

lpg where i am is 70p

lpg system will need servicing every year (£50)

lpg is 112 ron...if tuned correctly you wont see and performance loss

I'm on LPG aswell. I really couldn't afford to buy a cheap diesel, the thought of the the cost of the DPF's and DMF's worries me.

LPG here too, dont forget Diesel wont have that lovely VTEC either, although tbh the VTEC on the K24 isnt worth screaming about but at least its there!! :) Also if you are doing the conversion, think of the size of the tank aswell coz i have a 40 litre spare wheel donut tank and I would not be able to complete a straight 280 journey on one full tank. You are probably looking to need one of the bigger cylindrical tanks, which in all honesty isnt too bad as the accord boot is pretty deep so you wouldn't notice unless you needed to fold the seats down to carry something long. In which case you are pretty stuck with a gas cylinder blocking the fold down seat hole and limited gap lol :)

Just like the rest of the guys, I have not had any problems with running LPG (it was already fitted when i bought the car however, polish conversion too) and it always makes me smile when I pay for a full tank of gas and its less than £30, whereas everyone infront of me are putting through transactions over £70 ;) Petrols are more reliable too, there are no common faults like the manifold cracking, flywheels warping, DPF filters clogging, oil filter problems, heavily sooted oil, etc. Plain old oil + filter change with whatever oil grade you feel sufficient for the needs (I think some people have even tried 10w40! But of course I would recommend fully synthetic if you can) and the spark plugs should last you a few years also. The LPG wet + dry filter changes are pretty cheap and simple too. Plus you get the nice slick 6 gear box to enjoy with that rev range. I find that you will come across LPG stations randomly but you should always know where your local ones are and be prepared to use them regularly if they are out of the way.

hope that helps! Good luck!

Well fingers crossed I get this job, and I think lpg is the way to go with a decent sized tank so I can do it in 1 go.

My car has 142k on it now, I really want to put starship miles on it.
It is in good order for its mileage very quiet when on tick over and never missed a beat when driving.

Are these engines good for high miles?

It seems to have had good service history, the only thing I'm not sure about is the timing chain, do these need changing at a certain point or what?

the k24 has very good vtec.just not useable on the stock map

the k24 will do over 300k miles if looked after...

as for timing chain.i would't worry about it.they are ment to last a long time...but some dont.mine was changed at 82k miles by honda main dealer cost total of £500 for chain,tensioner,fitting.so not the end of the world

my timing chain had stretched and engine warning light came on

In the crazy world of contracting I would make less!

By the time u take off dig money, petrol money,paid travel time, etc....

If it was me I would probably go for the diesel. Put the money you would spend on a decent conversion towards a diesel Accord.
Lpg is fine when running right but I think the small range from the tanks and reduced boot space will do your head in.
Buy an Accord that has been well serviced possibly with a new clutch already. I do a similar journey each week, bought my Accord in January and I've done 3 services on it this year. Gets 50mpg without trying and only thing it has needed were front drop links and a couple of bulbs. Not bad in 25k miles

oh one thing i forgot to add...it does take a while standing infront of the gas pump holding that button waiting for the gas to fill up! The guy on the opposite pump must think im rich with a giant v12 under the hood with the amount of fuel im putting in lol! the 'hiss' and P*** of the gas when releasing the pump always confuses people like you are filling up your car with nitrous oxide too lol!! There is also an app called FillLPG which lists all the LPG stations if that helps.

oh and I get at least 230-240 miles on average out of a full tank (38-40 litres ~ around £28) of LPG - 80% of this is motorway mileage. This works out to be around 27/28 mpg but as the price of LPG is just over half the cost of petrol (definitely less than half the price of diesel), we are seeing equivalent of an average of easily over 50+mpg.