What's new

"My '87 Accord GSi"

jjmartin349571

TA Friends
Reaction score
Car
'86 Gsi
Hi Guys,

I picked up my latest car today :) Most of you have probably seen it in my other posts, but here it is out in daylight

GSiAngle.jpg

:wub:

I've got to say it's absolutely lovely, and I'm really proud to be taking ownership of this car. It's fantastic to drive - the DOHC block pulls like a train, and as the car doesn't weigh anything it really shifts B) I couldn't run it up to full speed on the dual carriageway though as the tyres weren't properly inflated and the brake fluid needs changing, but 0-40 took no time at all, and you could feel the engine just pulls consistently (I should probably add I was on trade plates driving the car back to work, so not driving around illegally :) ). I honestly can't believe how well it runs considering how long it was stored for!! Then again it is a Honda :p

It currently has no MOT or tax, however I'll hopefully be sorting this over the coming month or so. Only a couple of things to tackle - first is that the brakes are seized, they are grinding as you drive. The ALB light is intermittently on as well which I think may be related to the brakes being seized. I'll get the technicians at work to have a look at these methinks as I've never stripped calipers before. The other slight problem is that the idle drops too low when the engine has got up to temperature. First step to try and tackle this is going to be removing the throttle body and cleaning it, and going from there. Not too much to sort in the grander scheme of things though :)

Once it's sorted I'll hopefully start getting out to some meets - Roll on 2013!! :D

Beautiful! A full overhaul at a Honda garage should put everything straight though. The brakes, the timing, find any potential niggles and sort them out. The great thing about these older cars is the simplicity. And given it's a Honda it will still be reliable despite its age. Once sorted, some nice wheels, a sneaky lowering, exhaust and window tint, this will rival 93accord for retro goodness :p .

The other slight problem is that the idle drops too low when the engine has got up to temperature. First step to try and tackle this is going to be removing the throttle body and cleaning it, and going from there. Not too much to sort in the grander scheme of things though :)

Once it's sorted I'll hopefully start getting out to some meets - Roll on 2013!! :D

Quite a good vid here about Honda idle issues

Lovely car fella and great to see the old girl in great shape

Cheers guys :D the previous owners looked after it lovingly which is why she's in such good nick now. I had a quick look and there's no rot in the arches as far as I can see, the paint still looks very red as well!! I'll be buying a cover ASAP to try and prevent the paint fading. And yes, she'll be going into the workshop soon to be prepared for the MOT :) after the mechanical side is sorted, as you say Steve it'll be wheels, some drop and she'll be looking great hopefully! And maybe some tints if the budget allows for it :p I'm excited at any rate as I'm thinking this might be a project that's not too hard to achieve, unlike the others I have on the go currently :lol:

nice buy of a rare accord. dont see many about nowadays.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this will look very sexy very quickly!!

Watching this like a hawk!

Nice find fella!

So what engine have you got? B or A series?

Check the engine code block below the timing light plug, below the dizzy.

Im going to guess its a B20a2 or B20a8.

Very nicee indeed mate, is the same car as you posted before?.

Good clean of the throttle should sort your idle issues.

More pics please :)

So what engine have you got? B or A series?

Check the engine code block below the timing light plug, below the dizzy.

Im going to guess its a B20a2 or B20a8.

No need to get my hands dirty lol, I checked this on the V5 when I did the paper work - it's a B20A2 :)

Very nicee indeed mate, is the same car as you posted before?.

Good clean of the throttle should sort your idle issues.

More pics please :)

Yep, same one from before :) will be blasting everything with carb cleaner when I get a chance - problem is I'm having to keep the car 30 miles from home :lol: if I get a chance to work on it at the weekend then I'll get some more pics up :) can't wait to get it running and on the road!! :D

No need to get my hands dirty lol, I checked this on the V5 when I did the paper work - it's a B20A2 :)

Sweet, thats the quicker variant. 142bhp 128lbft.

And yes these old cars weigh nothing, and consequently are fast for the engine output!

Cant get over how the red paint isnt pink!

Yeah, power to weight is fantastic on 80's cars as you didn't have any safety equipment weighing you down :lol:

I'm really pleased with how well the paint has coped over the past 25 years :) the previous owners really looked after the car - the photo doesn't do the it justice. only a few minor blemishes which I'll get smart repaired once the car is on the road. Really excited to get out to meets in this one!!

really nice example, best of luck with it. I'd say the paint is still red cos back in the 80's there was no enviroment to give a fook about ;)

Went up to the compound today to show the new car to my girlfriend, and of course take some more pics. I've been hard at work removing some of the bumper stickers, they seem to be petrified on though so had to make do for the photos :lol: The paint was looking nice though, especially after the light rinse the rain gave the car :)

Anyway, the bit I'm sure you're all interested in:

GSiFrCorner_zpsb9c2ffd2.jpg

GSiRrCorner_zps01991b8b.jpg

GSiRear-1_zps9d135679.jpg

GSiFrInterior_zps61f6277a.jpg

GSiDash_zpsea70a661.jpg

GSiRrInterior_zps4689c3f7.jpg

GSiBoot_zps856168d4.jpg

GSiEngine_zpsd210a046.jpg

GSiEngineCl_zpsa6e67cf4.jpg

In the boot there's still the full tool kit, a first aid pack from the 80's and a bottle of 80's looking Honda brand screen wash :D The original owners pack is present, along with the service history. This car was really well looked after by it's previous owners, I don't think I'm going to have to do much to get it looking pristine :) Once it's home I'll get the boot carpet out and stick it through the washing machine, and stick the carpet mats in the wash too. Even the mats are the originals, tailored fit with Honda on them :wub: The electrics all seem to be working fine, to power roof still functions properly as do the windows and central locking. Only thing that isn't working is the power radio mast - the motor turns but makes a clicking as if it doesn't engage on the mast. Does anyone know if there's an easy fix for these?

I have a little teaser to put up on here too ;)

Sorry about the quality but I think Photobucket has downsized it, it was 60mb and in HD originally :lol:

Josh

Looks great Josh, I'm quite envious. The video link doesn't work however.

:)

I think my photobucket may be private, my bad :lol: will sort ASAP

Ok guys, I think the video should be public now :)

Yeah hit me up about the ariel, i know them inside out.

Cheers mate. It extends about an inch before giving up the ghost, keeps clicking and shuddering at that point... am I going to have to pull the pillar apart to get to the mechanism?? :unsure:

Can you take a pic of it when you can?

See if its the same as the 4th gen one.

Its a plastic mechanically belt/strip that coils up when it goes down, and uncoils going up. There is a motor with a cog on it that grabs the teeth on the belt and moves it. The teeth where out on the belt. You can buy a replacement belt, or a replacement ariel unit off ebay.

Mine is worn out too, i have disconnected it, and i have mine extended up 30cms all the time, gets me radio signal strong enough, or you can get a rear window ariel bar, similar price to a new unit. Im toying with this idea currently, saves having an ariel up.

Hmm, interesting! I may try and source a replacement power antenna then :) I wouldn't want to swap it out for a window mounted one as I like the retro look of the old chrome masts. My Golf has a wing mounted antenna and I think that's way cooler than the bee sting somebody mounted on the roof :lol:

I probably won't be able to get a photo of the antenna anytime soon, but here's a diagram of the part for the 3G on Lings

B__1600.jpg

Is that the same as on the 4G?

Its not no, part is different, and also in a different place lol!

Mines on the boot above the fuel cap.

Also i think there is ones on ebay though. Wing mounted.

Mine's on the roof :lol: oh well looks like I'll be taking the pillar apart at some point to sort that one out! Hope I can fix it as I'm doubting there are many spares...

Update on the car - I drove it the thirty miles from work to my mate's garage today. That was an experience :unsure: the engine pulls great but there's a lot of vibration at speed, the techs at work reckon it may be bad tyres and unbalanced wheels, so I'll have to look into that. First thing on the agenda is MOT though - it's in their yard overnight and being tested tomorrow. Wish me luck!

I bet it passes ;) (well, perhaps it might need a few bits, but nothing major I reckon).

Brakes and suspension are my biggest worry!! :lol: Standing in one place for 7 years can't have done them any good. I'm hoping it's just healthy enough to scrape through - that way I can avoid a parking disaster at my house :lol:

If it doesnt pass, think of it it as a nice little check list to work through! Thats what i do.

If you ariel is roof mounted take it out chances are insides are the same setup. So repairing will be the same.

I bet the tyres are warped. I had that with the red Accord.

That's exactly what I said o my girlfriend - She got in a grump and said 'why are we paying for a car to fail it's MOT'... Well, without putting it through how am I meant to know what I need to repair to make it roadworthy :rolleyes: No point just randomly fixing things, I'd end up just wasting money anyway :lol:

If the rain lets up anytime soon I'll get it open and try and see what's gone wrong - I reckon you're right and the plastic belt is probably mullered.

Yeah my mate I've left the car with for MOT reckons its the tyres too. When I first went to see the car they had no air in and the car was sitting with its rims on the floor :eek: I don't fancy paying for 4 new tyres though!!!

Update on the car: failed it's MOT :( only on 3 things though, a blown headlight bulb, pants wipers and a small patch of corrosion on the O/S rear sill. Been quoted £80 to get the sill welded which is no problem, so the car is still at my mate's garage. They're starting work after Christmas so hopefully will be on the road by the new year :) in the mean time, anyone know what bulbs and wipers I need? I stopped by halfrauds but the guide was rubbish and I've not got easy access to the car.

Cheers,
Josh

Amazing that that's all that's wrong. Gotta love Hondas.