What's new

"My '87 Accord GSi"

H&R do lowering springs for sensible money, however they only provide a 40mm drop and I've measured the arch gap - 100mm!!! Plus ideally I'd want to replace all the shocks at the same time, which adds to the cost. I could just lump them on the existing shocks but for all I know they could be as old as the car and who knows if they'd take the extra load for long.

I'd prefer the full coilover set route in an ideal world, but the cheapest set I've found was £700 for a CA5 chassis Accord... Maybe see how much I have left once my new Prelude is sorted and the Scirocco is sold. I doubt it'll be much unfortunately :lol:

One concern I have about lowering it is I don't want to kill the OEM mud flaps :lol: I may remove them and fit rally style ones for giggles when I drop the car.

My mudflaps have taken a beating and that's just with a 40mm drop and there's still a fairly sensible gap between wheel and arch. Coillies would be the end of your mudflaps. I'd take them off if I was you.

But then again, I kinda love mudflaps :blush: , they set off the car in a very 80s way.

I'm off on holiday for a week tomorrow, so thought I'd bring the scirocco off the hard standing on the grass verge and onto the driveway so that all the cars were safely on my drive.

6F0404DE-EFB3-4AD7-AF73-826177E26524-1246-00000344A9901617_zpsa9d04359.jpg

And my girlfriend said 2 cars wouldn't fit side by side on the drive :lol:

See you all in a week chaps :)

See you next week Jash. Have a good break mate. Cars look sweet by the way.

Time for a little update - since selling the Xsara I've kind of shot myself in the foot as my girlfriend now uses the Accord as her daily, and I'm in the Scirocco :lol: I rarely drive the Accord now :( this may explain my sudden surge of motivation to fix the other Hondas :lol:

Oh well. Laura having the Accord as 'her' car does have its perks. I was too drunk to get myself home the other night, so I was chauffeured home in style. Couldn't help but take a pic of the Accord as it was there ;)

7C427B35-B2A0-4590-AF32-461ECCE3B471-4420-00000F3E38940462_zps48858106.jpg

C09CE5DD-D9F8-4A79-AA9B-CDBC8156CC77-4420-00000F3E417D7A04_zpsdbb627e6.jpg

Laura loves the car at any rate, coming from driving the Xsara she really appreciates how comfortable the Accord is. She's enjoying the gold top engine too - I tried to overtake her in the Scirocco when we went to retrieve it from the pub yesterday, she just planted it and left me in the dust :lol:

:lol: Love it! Your Mrs has a good appreciation of older cars, and she outpaced you in the Scirocco. That's cool man.

Sad news regarding the Accord today... Laura went to go do the food shop, and returned incredibly quickly looking very sheepish. Turns out she misjudged how much space she had and clipped a pillar :(

null_zpsc8174a57.jpg

I'm not annoyed at her but she's distraught as she knows the car means a lot to me. She's now asking if she can buy another car for her to drive :lol: to be fair it's a big car, and the car park she was in is very tight, I usually use the Scirocco for going to Morrison's myself because of the space issues. There was already a touch up repair there anyway so it's not like it didn't need repairing already either. None of that seems to be consoling her though, she's really taken it to heart :(

Got a few bits and pieces to sell over the next month or so, plus the Scirocco will go on eBay once my BA2 is ready, so I guess Laura may well get her wish of a new car sometime soon. I reckon a little Civic would do nicely for her :) then I can hide the Accord away and never use it again :lol:

Changed the air filter today as it really needed it - look how filthy the old one was :lol:

null_zps3b3e8f52.jpg

Last night I also fitted a new lense to the passenger door courtesy light as the old lense broke a while back...

Before:
null_zpscc7ea782.jpg

After:
null_zps6fcb619c.jpg

Much better :)

Wow that filter was blocked, suprised the car could even breath lol.
Nice work though

Right, time for another little update...

My Accord failed it's MOT last Monday :( See below for the complete list

Bit annoyed about the fail on the rear licence plate bulbs, as they were working when I got home :mad:

Fair shout on the CV boot (which was torn all the way round) and the brake hoses though. I was pretty shocked when I reoved the hoses, I can't believe that they hadn't split right through :unsure:

Eeek! :eek:

So...

I struggled to find any front rubber hoses for under £40 each, and none of the listings seemed to supply the same dimensions. So, I whipped my hoses off and measured them up. Hopefully I've not ballsed up my measurements, as I've ordered a set of custom made braided hoses. I've gone for red stainless steel, hopefully should look cool once on B) Hopefully they'll arrive tomorrow, and I will have to get them fitted and bled in the evening.

Once the hoses are fitted and bled through, I will them chuck on the CV boot I got for a few quid, and that should be the simpler bits done.

On to the sill... I've just had the owner of a local body shop round to give me an estimate on the repair needed. I was very apprehensive about this to say the least! Anyway, after some investigating he quoted me £75 for welding a plate in to get through the MOT, or £200 for making up a small section of sill, filling it properly and painting it. I've had a talk with Laura, and I'm pleased to say it looks like the Accord won't be receiving another nasty plate :) Happy days.

It does mean that I'm going to be up against it in order to get my car re-tested though :unsure: Hopefully I'll make it though, and then I'll be good to go for some time to come!

My new hoses turned up today :) I love it when I get shiny car parts in the post!

8E9070D1-23E3-4E1A-8D46-5780805DA5AE_zpspmnqnpcc.jpg

So I braved the weather and got them fitted this eve. Excuse the dirty arches

286B9749-0C43-4398-A7BF-2EEE87F09FA0_zpstpdtb3ch.jpg

My first 'performance' mod on the Accord :lol: if you can call it that :p

I bled the brakes with Laura but it's apparent that my bodged piece of hose wasn't up to the job, as my brakes are still a tad spongy. So tomorrow I shall rob my dad of his bleeding kit and sort the brakes properly.

After that it's CV boot time. Bring on the grease!! :lol:

Lovely :)

Update time:

I bought a brake bleeding kit as it was only a fiver, and bled the brakes again Wednesday evening. They're nice and firm now :) Thursday morning I dropped the car down the body shop and it was welded up the same day, my phone was having a fit though so I didn't find out until Friday, and I collected it that evening. So far I've had the initial plate made up to the profile of the sill, and sealed. Going forward I've spoken to the owner of the shop with Laura, and we came to the conclusion that instead of just filling/painting the nearside sill when it goes back in, we're going to also have the awful plate cut out of the offside, a new plate made up to the correct profile then filled and painted as well. That should be the most cost effective way of getting both sills up to standard, rather than staggering the jobs. Needless to say I am pleased with this news :D Here's the repair as it is though, to be honest unless you're looking for it you don't see it:

Yesterday I jumped in the Civic and took one of my Accord's alloys with me and got a replacement tyre fitted, so that's that sorted.

Then came the CV boot. I had a nightmare getting the spindle nut off the driveshaft! Even me standing on a 2 foot bar wouldn't budge it. Then yesterday I suddenly remembered a method a friend told me - I tried to tighten it instead of undo it... I felt the slightest bit of movement when I did this, and then when I put my weight back into it in the other direction it finally came undone. This was just as it got dark, so I left it for that day. Today I've been back out, I split the lower ball joint, removed the outboard end of the shaft, then pulled the inboard end out the intermediate shaft. I cut the old boot off, stuck on the new stretch boot and reassembled the shaft and ball joint. Here's the nice shiny boot:

Exciting stuff, eh? :lol: In hindsight I could have trimmed the boot down, but they're so cheap and I'm getting pretty quick at replacing them so I'm not too worried, I'll just keep an eye on it.

Last thing left to cross of my list then was the registration plate lights. I was at a bit of a loss here as the bulbs are working and the plate is lit up :huh: The wording on the refusal sheet said '(both) registration plate lamp not illuminating the registration plate', so the only things I can think of is either the tester was blind, or he was disputing the amount of light falling on the plate. So, with that in mind I removed the lenses from the lights, washed them and refitted them. I've also cleaned the registration plate. The bulbs are fine and everything is functioning in the way it was manufactured to, so if they fail it on this again I'm going to start throwing my toys out the pram with them :lol: fingers crossed it doesn't come to that.

Anyway, she's ready, so roll on tomorrow!

Looking Good Buddy.

Best of luck with it dude, she's had a lot of love there, so hopefully she's in fine form when it comes to the test!!

Cheers guys!! :)

Good news! The Accord passed its MOT re-rest today, so all my work was not in vain. It's only been a couple of weeks but god have I missed this car!! I'm so glad to be in something quick again, I wasn't enjoying the 1.2l Clio I was borrowing! :lol:

Great news mate.

Sorted! MOT times are always interesting! To be fair if thats all the issues you had you doing well!

Time for an update I think!!

So firstly bad news unfortunately :( A few weeks back I was out late driving, when there was a torrential monsoon style downpour. It came out of nowhere and soon there was a lot of surface water on all the local roads. Whilst coming round a corner I forgot about a dodgy drain, and what I thought was tarmac was actually water a few inches deep across my entire lane. I realised too late and hit it straight on, although very quickly swerved straight out of the worst of it. pretty much straight away I got the battery light up on the dash :mellow: I got a few more miles and my ALB light came on and I lost that, and my lights were getting dim and the car was struggling at idle. I limped it a few more miles home and left it in the street where I could jump it if needs be. Anyway I gave it a day to dry out, and then jumped it and got my multimeter out. It turned out the alternator wasn't charging, so I dumped it on the front lawn in the sun for a few more days just to give it another chance to dry out. It did no good so I resigned myself to needing a new alternator (after checking all the fuses of course, that could have been embarassing if I hadn't and later down the line it was a fuse :blush: ).

So there we are, I shuffled the Accord to the back of the drive with my BB4 and there it has sat since, awaiting a new alternator. I bought my Isuzu Bighorn so I could get around (I had been using the Golf as my daily, but a bad exhaust manifold leak made that fairly unpleasant... I could've fixed that fairly cheaply, but my gf didn't know and I kind of fancied a new motor sooooooo...... :lol: ), and I left the Accord until a sensibly priced alternator popped up.

Cue last night - I bought a nice shiny Valeo alternator for the princely sum of £49.99 shipped to my door B) Here's hoping it's not a duff!! I have a gates belt turning up this week too, so hopefully this weekend I should tackle the alternator and get everything sorted. I'm looking forward to getting my Accord back, I've missed it quite a bit :blush:

I made the Accord a promise that if I fix it, I will treat it to a nice loud back box over the next few weeks :D

Awesome! Hopefully she'll be up and running in no time mate.

It's not just my Prelude getting treats today, this arrived for my Accord:

A Valeo alternator and Gates drive belt :D

Will hopefully get these fitted at the weekend, and be back driving the Accord soon :)

Gates is the way forward! And being a Alternator belt...quite literally.

Right, I tried to tackle this job over the last couple of days. All I can say is what a f****ng ball ache. There is s***t all access as the alternator is on the back of the engine and is blocked by the drive shaft, subframe, air box and chassis leg :angry: The help I had wasn't much use either:

At any rate I got about pulling bits out

Anyway, after many cuts and bruises I got the old alternator out. Got plenty of grease on me in the process as a CV boot must have previously split and nobody cleaned up the resultant mess.

Then I tried to fit the new alternator :angry: long story short the bracket is such a tight fit that the alternator is not going in there without some persuasion. Persuasion that I am unable to provide with the engine in situ... So, unless anyone has any handy tips I'll be pulling the engine out next weekend to get some mallet time in! It will also help me replace the bolt on the A/C belt tensioner pulley that I rounded off due to poor access :angry:

On the plus side, If I'm really organised I'll get a timing belt and water pump sorted at the same time. Then I can spank the engine without fear of it s****ting it's internals out :lol:

Looks like a mission mate!

Yeah, I kind of knew it would be a horrible job, but the bracket not taking the new alternator was a real kick in the teeth :( If it had of fitted in without needing a large amount of force then I'd have wrapped it up this evening and had it back on the road. Oh well... I should probably do the timing belt anyway, so maybe it's fate :lol:

Had this turn up today:

I just need to get a boss sorted and I can get this fitted :)

Thats a cool looking streering wheel :wub:

TIPEX9 said:
Thats a cool looking streering wheel :wub:
Cheers bud :)

Got the wheel fitted today:

***** photos as it's dark, but I love it B)

I just need a shorter boss now to get the position just how I want it.

Now all that I have left to do is the timing belt, water pump and alternator :mellow:

Looks awesome dude! Seriously awesome!