What's new

passenger airbag recall

Simon2354

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer Type S
My pride and joy goes for it's mot tomorrow and I had a call out of the blue from Blade Honda to advise me that my car is subject to a passenger airbag recall. My car is coming up to its 11th birthday, just curious if anyone else has been notified of a similar issue?

No mate, but I've an 11 year old 2.4 Exec. I might give Honda a call in a few days if I don't hear anything.

mcexocet said:
My pride and joy goes for it's mot tomorrow and I had a call out of the blue from Blade Honda to advise me that my car is subject to a passenger airbag recall. My car is coming up to its 11th birthday, just curious if anyone else has been notified of a similar issue?
My 2004 53 plate CL9 has no recalls according to the VIN checker Mr Honda put the link up to :) .

mcexocet said:
Was at the dealers yesterday and was informed my car subject to the same recall and once the get the airbag in stock they will phone me to arrange a replacement time. I asked more or less the same question with my tourer being 03 plate and was told it covers accord, civics and I think Jazz from 03 -08. I believe they are sending recall letters to the current registered owners.

i got the letter too on this...can anyone conform what is actually involved as i havent booked my car in yet...?

My brother has got the same letter for his 2003 CL9

The recall consists of replacing the ignitor for the passenger side airbag not the complete airbag, that would mean complete dash change, some dude in Japan that was making the igniter tubes didn't put enough tablets in, if you could imagine filling a tube with wine gums and one dosent sit properly instead of 8 you only fit 7, the fear is that there won't be enough gas produced to inflate the airbag correctly! My wife had her 02 jazz done already, I used to work for Honda and still have contacts in honda Ireland who explained what the problem was!!!

Steve_mechanic said:
The recall consists of replacing the ignitor for the passenger side airbag not the complete airbag, that would mean complete dash change, some dude in Japan that was making the igniter tubes didn't put enough tablets in, if you could imagine filling a tube with wine gums and one dosent sit properly instead of 8 you only fit 7, the fear is that there won't be enough gas produced to inflate the airbag correctly! My wife had her 02 jazz done already, I used to work for Honda and still have contacts in honda Ireland who explained what the problem was!!!
So what you saying Steve is in the event of an accident we're going to be showered with Wine Gums! Well that's something to chew over :lol: .

Pete1958 said:
So what you saying Steve is in the event of an accident we're going to be showered with Wine Gums! Well that's something to chew over :lol: .
Ya badly burnt ones!!

Sorry to bump an old thread but I got a letter from Honda yesterday about this recall.

How long does the work take and will they give you a courtesy car? My nearest dealer is over 10 miles away and would be a pain to get home from.

I had an airbag recall on my last car as well, a Corolla but the dealer was on the way to work so it wasn't a problem that time.

Half an hour. It's no big issue.

It's a global recall, and there's millions of cars affected, so Takata, the manufacturer of the airbag are playing catchup along with trying to keep up with the demand for current airbag components for car that are currently being produced.

Just had mine done took about half an hour they also did a health check and found my rear washer was not working then told me it would cost about £45 to have a look at it