What's new

Petrol or Diesel?

Sheaf

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type R
Hi all.

I currently own a 6th gen Type R Accord which I've had for over 8 years, been good as gold. We're looking to compliment it by having a nice 8th gen accord for my wife too.

The type R isn't exactly fuel efficient (27-33mpg on super) so we'd like something that is going to be a bit cheaper for those long journeys. Diesel sounds ideal but tbh getting over 40mpg and running 95ron fuel would cut costs significantly anyway so the 2.0 petrol is still an option.
Plus the petrol cars are cheaper so it'd save money initially anyway.

What I'm trying to figure out is - is the petrol engine any good in comparison?
Obviously ATM I've got over 200bhp, it goes well, but you have to work it. For motorway or lazy driving the various diesel cars I've driven are better due to the torque (ultimately slower, but so easy).
How does the petrol compare? It's slightly more powerful but does it actually feel OK on the road or a bit slow?

In a way I'd prefer petrol as no turbo or dpf issues, but I'm worried it'd ultimately drive like a slower, even less torquey version of what I've got, which could be disappointing.

In my experience modern cars generally feel so much more powerful everyday when they have a turbo... Be it a petrol or diesel. So for driving, the diesel seems to stand out. I've been quite impressed by cars such as the 160bhp Vauxhall Astra and insignia diesels or the 150/170bhp vw variants in terms of pace, even though they're less powerful than my present car.

Cheers,
Alex

Test drive both and decide for yourself.. That's really the only way to know which you prefer. I wouldn't let the dpf issue put you off, just budget for the removal in your purchase price.

Yeah, trying to actually get behind the wheel of both is a little more difficult than that, it seems. Already been told by one dealership that I couldn't take a car out unless I was going to put a deposit on it if there were no faults.
Closest dealer has no accords, reckons they get maybe 3 a year and some are autos.
Ideally I'd just have a drive in both buy trying to find them within a decent distance is a pain....

Been trying to get a bit more detail on the dpf situation, in sure it's covered on here but it seems to be a mix of opinions or buried amongst other info.
I ***ume from what you've said you can remove it and still pass MOT (I read it had to be physically present?) And also not send the ECU into a fit?. ***uming it's just 1 or 2 pressure transmitters?

Also, what is classed as too small a journey for a diesel? I do a 10 mile /30 min each way commute, some crawling, some motorway... will this block it? Obviously I'm not really in it for the mpg on the commute, even the ATR is only £25 a week, but I want to be able to drive hundreds of miles to go camping or have weekends away without having to take out a bloody mortgage, lol.

If you can find one try out an 8th gen 2.4 like mine in manual.
It's very lively when you put your foot down and on a run keeping to the speed limits you can easily get 40mpg

Cliffordski said:
What's your annual mileage?
~ 10k

I know what you'll say... for that mileage get a petrol, which I appreciate to some extent, just not sure if it's a downgrade or not. Really want some torque tbh, lol.

Although I have mixed feelings about the whole idea of only getting a diesel for high miles. More mpg is more mpg, whatever miles you do. My parents do maybe 5k a year and have had their Octavia TDi for 10 years or so, paid about the same price as a petrol cost. Still works out well, they get 55-70mpg most of the time and saves them loads, esp over that time period. Admittedly there's now the DPF issue which they don't have....

brett said:
If you can find one try out an 8th gen 2.4 like mine in manual.
It's very lively when you put your foot down and on a run keeping to the speed limits you can easily get 40mpg
As said, rare as hell... also no GT trimmed version. Was looking for either a GT or Type S tbh as I think the extra trim really suits the car.
Not sure why they didn't give it as an option, esp seeing as the type S was 2.4 petrol in the 7th gen.

TBH I think I'd have a hard job convincing the Mrs that going from a 2.2 petrol to a 2.4 petrol was the sensible more economical change we were talking about anyway...

Go for the diesel Type S, remove dpf and egr and go stage 2 at 230bhp. Plenty of torque and reliable power and excellent economy. A K24 would need substantially more spent on it to get to comparable power.

Oh, as much as that appeals in not looking to spend money modding like that.
Type S appeals in STD guise but I'd a significant amount more in price compared to a decent kitted GT.

So to clarify, there's no legal/running issues with dpf removal?

If the mot tester spots it, then they can fail it.

The cost of stage 2 would be within the price of dpf removal anyway so it's one price to factor into your buying decision.

You need to drive them to make a decision.

A lot of people slag the 2.0 off, I had mine for 3 years and was really pleased with it. It does need revs to get going, but its better than the old vtecs, easy to diy service, chain cam and no major issues to worry about.
Will do over 40mpg on a long run also.

Hi,

I've got the 2.0 petrol Accord EX and it is fine if slow. The vtec engine encourages me to drive very steadily because to really get going you have to wind it right up. However, very reliable and worry free.

Previously I had an X-type Jag, 2.0 diesel which was much much faster but believe me the cost of dmf replacement, egr cleaning etc.and the general worry and noise (it didn't even have a dpf) means that I shall never have another diesel.

Best thing for you is try them both, but budget for expensive repairs and maintainance if you go down the diesel route.

Cheers,

Ampers

I've not got any as yet. We waited to see how he wife's car did on the MOT, we got another year so there's no rush, should be able to find the right car.

Test drove a couple of Accords the other day though, a 2.0 petrol estate and a DTEC estate.
I'll be honest, both were a bit of a disappointment. The 2.0 petrol felt quite gutless, although the car was well sound deadened so you could push it through the revs a bit more without it being too intrusive. It gets up to speed ok, but did feel like it was not enough power for such a big heavy car.

The Diesel was obviously a bit more torquey and probably more suitable for what we want, however it wasn't exactly a wave of diesel torque like I was hoping for. It was adequate, but by no means spritely IMO. It was also louder so pushing it a little more was audible in the cabin, which wasn't great.

I think part of the problem is I've spent 9 years driving an Accord Type R. I've had in my head that as I've got a torqueless Honda petrol VTEC then the diesels would be impressive with their mid range. It's kind of why I want something more suitable for the motorway drive. Honestly? My Accord shifts much quicker without going anywhere near VTEC. In top gear on the motorway at 70 it's better too.

I think it's either get the Type S or look at something else.

The actual driving position/comfort/handling/practicality/looks etc was great on the accord. In fact, it was so easy to get in and drive as it was so similar to the ATR, everything was in exactly the same place. Which is great.

I drove a Mazda 6 2.2 Sport 180 the other day. The power was better than in the Accords, but still not quick. It was a nice drive actually, and tbh a better all round package for the money (was cheaper, better spec'd. newer and had less miles). The only issue was I think the gearbox had an issue on the one I looked at. It was very notchy. And the seats weren't as supportive.
I want an Accord really, but the Mazda does seem to tick more boxes for the money as it's rival is the Type S and the price difference is massive!

The Idtec is a much nicer car once tuned. But I agree on the noise front, I've always said the ictdi was a nicer and more refined engine than the newer idtec.

TBH I think the car that would be best for my driving style would be the 2.4 Manual. And if they did a 2.4 Manual EX GT I'd probably consider it. But they didn't. And anything close is rare as hell.

I could get the Mk7 Type S 2.4 but it's just getting on a bit.. I'm looking to get something a bit newer to last me a good 10 years or so.

F6HAD said:
The Idtec is a much nicer car once tuned. But I agree on the noise front, I've always said the ictdi was a nicer and more refined engine than the newer idtec.
Interesting thing to say, coming from a mechanic for that matter. Why would you say that? I`ve always believed that when Honda released something new is always better than the old. Well not the Type R`s anyways :p

Turbo powered Civics are on their way in 2017 - apparently it's a bigger car, with better seats, clearer instruments, and an improved all-round game.

I bought a diesel in the end....

Just not an Accord :eek:

Ended up test driving a Type S and although it went well, tbh it didn't seem like it was really worth the huge price hike over the GT or other options.
I would have had one and so would the wife, but they really are quite expensive.

We ended up buying this -

M6and_ATR.jpg

A Mazda 6 Sport 2.2 Diesel (177bhp)

It does everything the Type S does (except Sat Nav) but with a huge hatchback boot.

Full Leather (Heated with memory)
Auto Everything
18 Inch Wheels
Blind Spot Sensors
Fold Away Tow Bar
60+ mpg
A massive load of torque

Seriously pleased with the purchase as it ticks every box.

I'd have liked to stay with Honda but we got the Mazda for under £8k on a 61 plate and only 42k on the clock.
The equivalent age/mileage Accord Type S is around £12k and from what I could see they're very much on a par with each other.

Shame really, but very happy with the purchase.

The type R is staying by the way. Mazda for sensible stuff, ATR for 2nd car useage and fun.

Alex

My mate's got one of these. Very nice cars.

LOL

I didn't plan to spend ages, but the wife's car passed its MOT in December and so we weren't in a rush. I'd always rather wait and buy a car through choice rather necessity.

TBH, I was still looking at various options until the end and to a certain extent it was about find the right condition car for the right price, in a location it was practical to get to conveniently.

Ended up doing a 300 mile round trip to get this one, but it was a nice weekend and had a night in a hotel in Herefordshire with a lovely evening out at a nice pub by the river severn.

We really liked the looks of the lexus IS220d and the BMW 320d but the saloons don't have folding seats so that ruled them out.

Overall, I'm very happy though. Just hope it's nice and reliable.

Sheaf said:
Hi all.

I currently own a 6th gen Type R Accord which I've had for over 8 years, been good as gold. We're looking to compliment it by having a nice 8th gen accord for my wife too.

The type R isn't exactly fuel efficient (27-33mpg on super) so we'd like something that is going to be a bit cheaper for those long journeys. Diesel sounds ideal but tbh getting over 40mpg and running 95ron fuel would cut costs significantly anyway so the 2.0 petrol is still an option.
Plus the petrol cars are cheaper so it'd save money initially anyway.

What I'm trying to figure out is - is the petrol engine any good in comparison?
Obviously ATM I've got over 200bhp, it goes well, but you have to work it. For motorway or lazy driving the various diesel cars I've driven are better due to the torque (ultimately slower, but so easy).
How does the petrol compare? It's slightly more powerful but does it actually feel OK on the road or a bit slow?

In a way I'd prefer petrol as no turbo or dpf issues, but I'm worried it'd ultimately drive like a slower, even less torquey version of what I've got, which could be disappointing.

In my experience modern cars generally feel so much more powerful everyday when they have a turbo... Be it a petrol or diesel. So for driving, the diesel seems to stand out. I've been quite impressed by cars such as the 160bhp Vauxhall Astra and insignia diesels or the 150/170bhp vw variants in terms of pace, even though they're less powerful than my present car.

Cheers,
Alex
if you dont find 27-33 mpg good enough you need a diesel, any high performance petrol will hardly better that.

Dont know how you could live with a diesel after a Type R however..........

Sheaf said:
LOL

I didn't plan to spend ages, but the wife's car passed its MOT in December and so we weren't in a rush. I'd always rather wait and buy a car through choice rather necessity.

TBH, I was still looking at various options until the end and to a certain extent it was about find the right condition car for the right price, in a location it was practical to get to conveniently.

Ended up doing a 300 mile round trip to get this one, but it was a nice weekend and had a night in a hotel in Herefordshire with a lovely evening out at a nice pub by the river severn.

We really liked the looks of the lexus IS220d and the BMW 320d but the saloons don't have folding seats so that ruled them out.

Overall, I'm very happy though. Just hope it's nice and reliable.
IS220D are terrible cars, how anyone can like them beggars belief. I suggest you drive a IS250 or another 6 pot petrol, you will very quickly change your tone.

Have to agree. The Toyota d4d lump is only good for tractors.

have heard tales from owners complaining of the rear view mirror rattling about, doesn't surprise me.

I have heard these at car washes and the sound is about as agricultural you can imagine, no wonder Lexus dumped diesel and what was they thinking of putting a d4d engine into a IS250 chassis in the first place.

I am not a fan of diesels (as everyone knows!), but there are some very decent diesels out there, refined and all that. A IS220 is not one of them.

Toyota don't make any good diesels. Only Honda and ze Germans.

The French are good at diesel but what's the point when everything around the lump is falling apart.

The Koreans are also getting good at it.

Well as I said a few posts back... I bought diesel.

A Mazda 6 2.2 180 Sport.

TBH, it's more refined than the Hondas I drove, definately one of the more refined oil burners I've driven and I've driven one from most manufacturers now I think.

1 month in and still happy with it. I happily switch from it to the Type R and back again on a daily basis... each have the positives and negatives. Both shift you pretty quick, the diesel is less 'lively' and fun I guess, but is way more refined, quieter, more economical and a much better cruiser. I can't say I have a preference as to which I drive mind, I take whichever is at the front of the drive!